Fall Sports

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Fall Sports

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Here's the thing that I'm curious about. Say the college players start getting paid. Couldnt the colleges just take away the scholarships and make them pay like everyone else? If they can then they'd be back where they started.
PaSportsGuy
Junior
Junior

Post by PaSportsGuy »

Goldeneagles12 wrote: August 10th, 2020, 10:12 am Here's the thing that I'm curious about. Say the college players start getting paid. Couldnt the colleges just take away the scholarships and make them pay like everyone else? If they can then they'd be back where they started.
I am not sure how that would work and I am not going to speculate.. I do think within a few years you will see a independent league starting where alot of top kids will go to instead of college. NCAA has ruined college sports IMO.
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

I dont think its ruined but some changes need to be made. I get the NCAA makes billions off the athletes. So if that kid wants to sign some autographs or sell something so be it let them make a couple bucks. I don't want to see like agents and stuff involved then you get whiney pre madonnas like the pros where it's all about money money money. People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I prefer high school football over college and NFL. Its because the high schoolers are playing for the love of the game.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

I dont think this was a case of inmates running the asylum, more of this.

1. NCAA canceled fall championships for everything but div 1 sports. So it became clear FBS/Power 5 conf wanted to push forward because $$$

2. A lot Players realized this was about big schools making money and not safety, so they made some reasonable demands as they are the ones putting their health and lives on the line so the power 5 conf could get their $$$.

3. Power 5 schools do not want to match the demands, probably due to the precedent they may set during non covid times.

4. Power 5 schools then realized the players are their golden goose so suspending/canceling the season was their only option if they werent wanting to meet some of the players demands.
PAgridder2011
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PAgridder2011 »

Big Ten now disputing wide spread reports of cancelling season saying no official vote has taken place. Tomorrow will be interesting when the "official announcement" was to take place.
PaSportsGuy
Junior
Junior

Post by PaSportsGuy »

PAgridder2011 wrote: August 10th, 2020, 2:08 pm Big Ten now disputing wide spread reports of cancelling season saying no official vote has taken place. Tomorrow will be interesting when the "official announcement" was to take place.
BTN just announced a vote did take place and only Iowa and Nebraska voted to play.. They also said a call is in with BT Presidents at 6PM tonight for a final decision.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Here is what is going on IMO. The B1G wanted to leak they cancelled to gauge reaction from all 14 members, TV partners, sponsors, large university donors, and other P5 conferences.

When they "leaked" the information, reaction could not have went worse. They had push back from at least 3 different league members rumored to be exploring other options to play (Ohio State to the SEC and Iowa, Nebraska to the Big 12). Coach Day and Coach Frost confirmed at least 2 of those rumors. Other coaches including Jim Harbaugh and James Franklin made it clear that this was not going to fly within their programs. I have a hard time thinking those programs could stay nationally relevant after taking a year off when most of the college football powers are trying to push forward to play. That would program suicide.

I know the players did their #WeWantToPlay campaign but these university presidents and athletic directors don't care about the players. They never have. So that was a moot point.

So once the reaction was gauged, they realized if they cancel their season the B1G might not have a 14 member league to return to in the future. You really think if Nebraska goes and plays a year with the Big 12, they would just bounce right back to the B1G next season. I have a hard time believing Ohio State plays a SEC schedule and doesn't at least have the conversation about a switch to their conference permanently. Penn State would be an easy candidate to jump the ACC along with ND to make that a 16 member league which would now have a mid-western flavor (ND, Pitt, and PSU).

Remember it just takes a domino or two to fall to start the reaction. Remember in 2010 and how quickly a Big East Conference that once had major programs like Miami, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, and West Virginia fell apart. Once one or two teams jump ship, everyone is looking to get off the boat because you don't want to be the one program left on the boat sitting on the sea floor.
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

Looks like it's official. Big 10 will not play football this fall
https://www.mlive.com/sports/2020/08/li ... eason.html
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Mountain west hit yesterday too.

That leaves what?

Pac 12, acc, sec, big 12, american and sun belt as conferences in FBS left at the moment?
Linebacker55
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Linebacker55 »

Down goes the PAC 12. Fall football of any kind (NFL excluded) seems to be on life support.