District 6 playoff scenarios

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Awdhaemel
Senior
Senior

District 6 playoff scenarios

Post by Awdhaemel »

I know we all should just be happy the kids are playing and we have a season to watch and cheer, but with the PIAA moving up dates by 2 weeks, i was wondering how or what was everyones thoughts on how District 6 plans on crowning all the champions before November 13th, God willing we make it that far in the season. But we are approaching a decision really fast. Some questions to consider: What dates to you start each classification's playoffs? How many teams get in? How do you choose who gets in, considering that some teams played less games than others due to COVID? This is my suggestion fo A thru AAA: I posted this response in another thread but I thought maybe it needed a thread to itself:

District 6 playoffs:1A - take top 16 -84%Start playoffs October 23-24th. Makes sense to include almost everyone since not everyone played the same number of games. Winners move on losers play each other in loser bracket. 3 teams not in play each other and pick up D5 A team for other. This would guarentee every team have a 10 game season. D6 Championship-11/13
2A- take top 8-- 67%- start October 23-24th. Bottom 4 play that weekend - winners move on losers play each other- Loser bracket. D6- Championship 11/6.
3A - take top 4- 80% of all 3A teams. Start playoffs Oct 23-24. D6 championship 10/30 or 10/31.

For example, My District 6 A scenerio would be as follows with all higher seeds moving on just for arguement sake:
Week 1: Oct. 23rd & 24th 1 vs. 16, 2 vs.15, 3 vs. 14 and so on
Week 2: Oct. 31st winners - 1 vs 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, 4 vs. 5
Week 2 Loser bracket 9 vs. 16, 10 vs. 15, 11 vs. 14, and 12 vs. 13
Week 3: Nov. 6th 1 vs 4 and 2 vs. 3
Week 3 Loser bracket 5 vs. 6, 7 vs. 8, 9 vs. 10, 11 vs. 12, 13 vs. 14 and
15 vs. 16
Week 4: Nov. 13th 1 vs 2 Championship and 3 vs 4 consolation
Last edited by Awdhaemel on October 1st, 2020, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: District 6 playoff scenarios

Post by DragonsDoExist »

D6 is apparently meeting Thursday to set playoff format. And considering standings go by avg playoff points I’d assume teams will not be penalized for missed games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

I think D6 should pass on the state playoffs. Finish out conference schedules and districts and call it a season.
guru1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by guru1 »

Rumor is top 4 in Class A. However, considering this could leave BG out I’m sure they will come up with something to make sure BG gets in. 🤨
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Colonel Mustard wrote: September 29th, 2020, 5:04 pm I think D6 should pass on the state playoffs. Finish out conference schedules and districts and call it a season.
Do schools actually want that? Like Homer Center for instance.....BG might not make the playoffs, Homer Center wouldn't basically a free shot to the state semifinals and a chance at Hershey?
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

A month ago, gloom and doomers were saying no to any football. Now we are squeezing in a state playoff. Seems like a money-grab by the Piaa. How many D6 schools have a legit chance to make noise in state playoffs? Fight for your league and district titles. Those are meaningful accomplishments to most schools.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

https://tribhssn.triblive.com/wpial-foo ... hip-dates/

The WPIAL is going with eight team brackets which will need to begin October 30. That means a seven game regular season.

When will District 6 need to crown its champions? Has the PIAA set its bracket yet? I do think a seven game regular season is sufficient this year. I also think football should be wrapped up on Thanksgiving weekend every year.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

knowitall wrote:https://tribhssn.triblive.com/wpial-foo ... hip-dates/

The WPIAL is going with eight team brackets which will need to begin October 30. That means a seven game regular season.

When will District 6 need to crown its champions? Has the PIAA set its bracket yet? I do think a seven game regular season is sufficient this year. I also think football should be wrapped up on Thanksgiving weekend every year.
When D6 enters the state bracket varies by class. Here are the state brackets that were released last week prior to D11 opting out.

https://pafootballnews.com/news/yes-the ... -scramble/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

The WestPAC is scheduled through November 7. The PIAA wants the District 5 champ crowned by November 7. To even have a D5 champ would probably require a four game playoff.
SportsFan04
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by SportsFan04 »

Teams that do not make/enter the playoffs are able to continue having regular season games through the end of the state playoffs. (10 game maximum) outside of scheduling nightmares teams could continue to play