D6 1A-3A Playoff Picture

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Jjones
Freshman
Freshman
Posts: 46
Joined: March 13th, 2017, 4:03 pm

Re: D6 1A-3A Playoff Picture

Post by Jjones » October 23rd, 2020, 8:53 am

BG has to forfeit- D6 then mysteriously goes from 4 to 12 teams in the playoffs so more teams get in.

BG has a Covid issue but has a scheduled first round game- D6 allows them to play despite being under 14 days of quarantine.

Not sure what is going on now but am I hearing BM is forfeiting with no cases now?

OutOfTheLoop
Junior
Junior
Posts: 122
Joined: March 15th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Re: D6 1A-3A Playoff Picture

Post by OutOfTheLoop » October 23rd, 2020, 9:31 am

Manfred wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 8:48 am
OutOfTheLoop wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 7:11 pm
EnzoLigoniere wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 6:31 pm
The number of kids dying from Covid is significantly less than influenza in this country.
Konjo, please research herd immunity.

In the meantime, keep wearing your mask in the car and lysoling the groceries
Here's some research: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/ne ... ins-expert

The herd immunity strategy would result in a devastating number of deaths, not including the many others who would have lingering health problems and decreased quality of life. Besides, why would we try that now after 7 months of half-measures? Plus there is evidence that the virus is already mutating.
If you're going to quote a given medical source, do yourself a favor and do some MORE research on the inherent nature of viruses. ANY viruses. They mutate all the time. It's what they do. THIS particular one has been doing it since it was discovered. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for worse. The common cold is a variant of coronavirus. We don't get too excited about that. But if you have a compromised immune system, or other comorbidities, the common cold too can be deadly.
Thanks, Dr. Manfred. Very enlightening. Didn't know that.

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach
Posts: 2557
Joined: March 23rd, 2005, 5:58 pm

Re: D6 1A-3A Playoff Picture

Post by knowitall » October 23rd, 2020, 9:33 am

Crimson's Ghost wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 8:40 am
I don't have an overly optimistic outlook for winter sports as of right now. I could see that season really being cut short, or barely played at all.
I am thinking this, but didn't want to say it. I can't see wrestling happening.

OutOfTheLoop
Junior
Junior
Posts: 122
Joined: March 15th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Re: D6 1A-3A Playoff Picture

Post by OutOfTheLoop » October 23rd, 2020, 9:35 am

Crimson's Ghost wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 8:40 am
There just has been inconsistencies with the whole process at every level. In the NFL if one guy tests positive, the whole facility gets locked down and that team's next game is in jeopardy. In college football, 20 guys can test positive or be in contract tracing, and the game can be played as scheduled. In High school, some teams quarantine for 10 days, some for 14 with a positive case or two. There was never a uniformed policy from the state of district level, everyone is kind of making it up as they go, and I don't blame the schools for that. It's just nobody knows what is the right protocol or not so everyone is just winging it and that is how we get situations like Forest Hills, Southern Huntingdon, and Bishop McCort.

I'm guessing before the playoffs are over, we'll have a few more forfeits.


I don't have an overly optimistic outlook for winter sports as of right now. I could see that season really being cut short, or barely played at all.
I don't blame the schools either. This is the result of Bob Lombardi's cooked spaghetti spine and the absolute dereliction of duty at the PIAA level. They had no plan for fall sports and have none for winter. They don't learn and don't lead.

abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach
Posts: 3604
Joined: December 7th, 2004, 2:36 pm
Contact:

Re: D6 1A-3A Playoff Picture

Post by abpk2903 » October 23rd, 2020, 9:57 am

konjo78 wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 5:06 pm
abpk2903 wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 3:39 pm
Konjo, you sure must enjoy life. You put such a positive spin on things. How do you do it?
Life can have its enjoyable moments. Much of this year could of been enjoyable all around if people used common sense day 1 of this pandemic.

Instead here in america we proved how ignorant we are that we basically threw away a large amount of enjoyable moments for a few political beefs.

More and more I see new schools, areas being added to the list of forced closure for a few weeks due to covid. Idiots will still go around downplaying anything covid related and act as if it isnt even an issue to worry about. Want to know how you create this ignorance, by teaching/showing them sports and such are more important than common sense safety in the middle of the pandemic.
I'll tell you what. Crawl into your basement or storm shelter for the next 3 years. The rest of us will do our best to keep some sort of semblance of our society alive. In 3 years, if we all dead, the world is all yours. If not, we will hopefully have things back to normal for you and welcome you back with open arms.

All kidding aside. Yeah this year's football and playoffs don't look like they typically do. It also is a bummer when a school or business or football program or community has to slow down for a few weeks due to an outbreak. What is the alternative? Not trying for these kids that are only kids once? That doesn't seem like the America that I was raised in. Politicians and local government has let us down by not make a more clear plan but it is also easy to point fingers. Most of them know about the same that we all know...very little. I think for all the criticism that leagues and schools receive, they have really moved mountains in the last 4 or 5 months to make whatever amount of normalcy we do have possible. They want our society safe but they also want to give these kids as much of the same opportunity we were all given to play high school sports. Heck I played 15 years ago and wasn't even that good but many of my friendships still to this day stem from that opportunity. The debbie downer mentality gets tiring. Let the schools, coaches, and administrators do what they think is best as long as they are making an honest effort to give as many kids as many opportunities as possible. If some teams can compete and play a full season, awesome. If some only get a few games in, at least they tried. Not trying doesn't seem like a "strategy" to me.

Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach
Posts: 5382
Joined: August 2nd, 2009, 7:23 pm

Re: D6 1A-3A Playoff Picture

Post by Manfred » October 23rd, 2020, 10:15 am

OutOfTheLoop wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 9:31 am
Manfred wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 8:48 am
OutOfTheLoop wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 7:11 pm


Here's some research: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/ne ... ins-expert

The herd immunity strategy would result in a devastating number of deaths, not including the many others who would have lingering health problems and decreased quality of life. Besides, why would we try that now after 7 months of half-measures? Plus there is evidence that the virus is already mutating.
If you're going to quote a given medical source, do yourself a favor and do some MORE research on the inherent nature of viruses. ANY viruses. They mutate all the time. It's what they do. THIS particular one has been doing it since it was discovered. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for worse. The common cold is a variant of coronavirus. We don't get too excited about that. But if you have a compromised immune system, or other comorbidities, the common cold too can be deadly.
Thanks, Dr. Manfred. Very enlightening. Didn't know that.
Quite welcome. Like Farmer's Insurance, we know a thing or 2 because we've seen a thing or 2. 12-1/2 yrs. in a nuclear pharmacy will do that.
The world as we know it underwent a rebirth 11-8-16. Conservatives have made themselves heard!

konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach
Posts: 4413
Joined: November 26th, 2011, 5:17 pm
Location: tri cities, Washington

Re: D6 1A-3A Playoff Picture

Post by konjo78 » October 23rd, 2020, 10:31 am

abpk2903 wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 9:57 am
konjo78 wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 5:06 pm
abpk2903 wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 3:39 pm
Konjo, you sure must enjoy life. You put such a positive spin on things. How do you do it?
Life can have its enjoyable moments. Much of this year could of been enjoyable all around if people used common sense day 1 of this pandemic.

Instead here in america we proved how ignorant we are that we basically threw away a large amount of enjoyable moments for a few political beefs.

More and more I see new schools, areas being added to the list of forced closure for a few weeks due to covid. Idiots will still go around downplaying anything covid related and act as if it isnt even an issue to worry about. Want to know how you create this ignorance, by teaching/showing them sports and such are more important than common sense safety in the middle of the pandemic.
I'll tell you what. Crawl into your basement or storm shelter for the next 3 years. The rest of us will do our best to keep some sort of semblance of our society alive. In 3 years, if we all dead, the world is all yours. If not, we will hopefully have things back to normal for you and welcome you back with open arms.

All kidding aside. Yeah this year's football and playoffs don't look like they typically do. It also is a bummer when a school or business or football program or community has to slow down for a few weeks due to an outbreak. What is the alternative? Not trying for these kids that are only kids once? That doesn't seem like the America that I was raised in. Politicians and local government has let us down by not make a more clear plan but it is also easy to point fingers. Most of them know about the same that we all know...very little. I think for all the criticism that leagues and schools receive, they have really moved mountains in the last 4 or 5 months to make whatever amount of normalcy we do have possible. They want our society safe but they also want to give these kids as much of the same opportunity we were all given to play high school sports. Heck I played 15 years ago and wasn't even that good but many of my friendships still to this day stem from that opportunity. The debbie downer mentality gets tiring. Let the schools, coaches, and administrators do what they think is best as long as they are making an honest effort to give as many kids as many opportunities as possible. If some teams can compete and play a full season, awesome. If some only get a few games in, at least they tried. Not trying doesn't seem like a "strategy" to me.
There is the problem, people keep pushing and wanting normalcy in a non normal situation. Its like telling a kid he or she should play in playoffs with a torn ACL because they deserve that chance. You end up potentially causing a lot more harm that good. We dont need to be in a "basement bunker" for 3 years, but 3 months of heavy stay at home quarantine and the covid issue will be close to gone. Instead we will keep forcing to be normal with a wound open causing much, much more damage to everyone long term

CharlieConway
Senior
Senior
Posts: 182
Joined: November 17th, 2017, 12:43 pm
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: D6 1A-3A Playoff Picture

Post by CharlieConway » October 23rd, 2020, 10:54 am

konjo78 wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 10:31 am
abpk2903 wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 9:57 am
konjo78 wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 5:06 pm


Life can have its enjoyable moments. Much of this year could of been enjoyable all around if people used common sense day 1 of this pandemic.

Instead here in america we proved how ignorant we are that we basically threw away a large amount of enjoyable moments for a few political beefs.

More and more I see new schools, areas being added to the list of forced closure for a few weeks due to covid. Idiots will still go around downplaying anything covid related and act as if it isnt even an issue to worry about. Want to know how you create this ignorance, by teaching/showing them sports and such are more important than common sense safety in the middle of the pandemic.
I'll tell you what. Crawl into your basement or storm shelter for the next 3 years. The rest of us will do our best to keep some sort of semblance of our society alive. In 3 years, if we all dead, the world is all yours. If not, we will hopefully have things back to normal for you and welcome you back with open arms.

All kidding aside. Yeah this year's football and playoffs don't look like they typically do. It also is a bummer when a school or business or football program or community has to slow down for a few weeks due to an outbreak. What is the alternative? Not trying for these kids that are only kids once? That doesn't seem like the America that I was raised in. Politicians and local government has let us down by not make a more clear plan but it is also easy to point fingers. Most of them know about the same that we all know...very little. I think for all the criticism that leagues and schools receive, they have really moved mountains in the last 4 or 5 months to make whatever amount of normalcy we do have possible. They want our society safe but they also want to give these kids as much of the same opportunity we were all given to play high school sports. Heck I played 15 years ago and wasn't even that good but many of my friendships still to this day stem from that opportunity. The debbie downer mentality gets tiring. Let the schools, coaches, and administrators do what they think is best as long as they are making an honest effort to give as many kids as many opportunities as possible. If some teams can compete and play a full season, awesome. If some only get a few games in, at least they tried. Not trying doesn't seem like a "strategy" to me.
There is the problem, people keep pushing and wanting normalcy in a non normal situation. Its like telling a kid he or she should play in playoffs with a torn ACL because they deserve that chance. You end up potentially causing a lot more harm that good. We dont need to be in a "basement bunker" for 3 years, but 3 months of heavy stay at home quarantine and the covid issue will be close to gone. Instead we will keep forcing to be normal with a wound open causing much, much more damage to everyone long term

Yea. If we could just find a way to "flatten" the curve. To spread out the infection, so our hospitals don't get overrun. The Covid Issue would "close to gone." Much like we did from March-June. We almost had it beat! Sure it was coming at the cost of our economy and we had to sacrifice our civil liberties, but that's what the science told us to do. We bought all the toilet paper, paper towels, and groceries we could. We were so close to getting it under control.

If people would just follow the travel restrictions too! For example, its safe to travel to states like California, New York, New Jersey according to PA Dept of Health. But stay out of Florida, Texas, and South Carolina.

I mean, sure New York and California are #1 and #2 in death toll, but if people would just stop and shelter, this curve would be flattened and we would be having it "close to gone" like Konjo said.

Wait.....wait a second......

Let me get back to you on this.........
Thanks!

knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach
Posts: 2557
Joined: March 23rd, 2005, 5:58 pm

Re: D6 1A-3A Playoff Picture

Post by knowitall » October 23rd, 2020, 11:04 am

Twice this week the headline of The Tribune Review has been about the Coronavirus and Westmoreland County schools.

The next March 13 is coming.

Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach
Posts: 629
Joined: July 18th, 2015, 11:47 pm

Re: D6 1A-3A Playoff Picture

Post by Goldeneagles12 » October 23rd, 2020, 11:13 am

Yea Konjo cause covid is gonna say **** no one is out and about for 3 months I might as well give up. Lol guess what as soon everyone comes out boom a surge would hit and you'd want to head back inside. Look we should be open try your best to use precaution. I have worked the whole time through this and no one has caught it. Have been going to the gym also since June 1st no cases in my gym either.I'm sry but I like my paychecks and everything I don't want to stay in cause then I get depressed but as long as I shoot myself and it wasn't covid thats ok to you and a lot of people. Depression leading to suicide has killed a lot more than covid but you over look that. Its not going away we have better treatment now yes one death is to many but the death rate is down. If you want to shutdown another 3 months we won't have a country or economy to open back up.

Post Reply