If you could vote on it, would you make A football into a 7 player form if it meant schools could field teams?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

If you could vote on it, would you make A football into a 7 player form if it meant schools could field teams?

Post by konjo78 »

Its a system ive seen used for small schools all over the west coast with some high success and entertainment.

Would you be for or opposed if this came to PA to try and stop schools from closing down their programs?
BoStillKnows
Senior
Senior

Re: If you could vote on it, would you make A football into a 7 player form if it meant schools could field teams?

Post by BoStillKnows »

I don't see that working in PA, totally different culture than the west coast. I think with numbers going down across the board at all classifications you're going to see more and more Single A schools co-op with other schools or merge school districts in general. Times are changing...
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: If you could vote on it, would you make A football into a 7 player form if it meant schools could field teams?

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

I'd vote no. I respect that it works in other areas and may be the wave of the future , but I don't think I'd like it. It wouldn't be football to me. It becomes some other sport. I feel the same way about arena football and Canadian rules football.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

OutOfTheLoop wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 5:04 pm I'd vote no. I respect that it works in other areas and may be the wave of the future , but I don't think I'd like it. It wouldn't be football to me. It becomes some other sport. I feel the same way about arena football and Canadian rules football.
[-X [-X [-X :-Q :-Q ^^^^THIS^^^^.
It ain't over until it's over.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

No.

Where do you draw the line?

Six man baseball? Three on three basketball?
Big Ike
Junior
Junior

Post by Big Ike »

I vote yes! Lol but not 7. 8 man at least. I prefer 9 man. Sounds weird but the 2 man difference would make a difference with 15 man rosters. Granted you can get that. the "swingman" WR that comes in as a lineman would be less drastic with both teams facing that. "8" man football more so but with more on the field. 7 is too much open space and is too pick up game like. For me it would be 9 but also tweak kick offs. Honestly would not have them. I would start off on the 15 and do something crazy like after scores or at half receiving teams get an initial "5" down series. 5 plays to get the 10 yards. You are much further back but get that extra down creates strategic dilemma. go for 5th and one at the 24? Lol crazy but you also rid the kickoff and the added fatigue of that. I used to see teams like Wilkinsburg that played with 11 at times struggle mightily with kick off coverage after a while.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Big Ike wrote: January 13th, 2022, 5:55 pm I vote yes! Lol but not 7. 8 man at least. I prefer 9 man. Sounds weird but the 2 man difference would make a difference with 15 man rosters. Granted you can get that. the "swingman" WR that comes in as a lineman would be less drastic with both teams facing that. "8" man football more so but with more on the field. 7 is too much open space and is too pick up game like.
The field is significantly smaller in 7 man football
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

OutOfTheLoop wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 5:04 pm I'd vote no. I respect that it works in other areas and may be the wave of the future , but I don't think I'd like it. It wouldn't be football to me. It becomes some other sport. I feel the same way about arena football and Canadian rules football.
Have to completely agree. The larger problem is that we used to be in an area with lots of steel industry jobs and we needed the amount of schools we have. As those jobs left, the need for a school every 10 miles left as well. District 6 has what, 19 A schools? It’s just too many
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Except for the bikinis, not a fan of two-on-a-side women's beach volleyball either.
Capnweird
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Capnweird »

I don't know which way I would vote but I do see some troubling trends in sports that this could rectify.

First, a lot of people on here are complaining about schools co-opping together Williamsburg and JV for example. Doing this would allow for there to be more one school teams, and some of those small towns might have a team of their own once again that they can support.

Secondly, people always complain about low scoring games being "bad football". The Ravens/Steelers game for example people said how terrible the first half was. I for one love a defensive struggle in which one big play can swing the entire outcome, but it seems that the casual fan really wants to see high scoring games. The 7,8,and 9 man football package opens up the field and allows for a lot more scoring to go on. This might actually get some of those kids in the hallways that don't want to play anymore interested in the game once again.

I like the traditional game as much as anyone, but if taking the last two athletes on the depth chart off of the field and capitalizing on the best nine that you have can have some advantages to it. Give those two guys a specific role as a back-up and perhaps that maximize what they can do might make everyone better.