Cancellations?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: Cancellations?

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: October 11th, 2021, 1:13 pm Glendale's roster on Maxpreps has 25 names.
Maybe Glendale didn't hear Bob Lombardi's announcement that if schools "duck" other schools under the guise of Covid, then he will be FORCED to be sad and disappointed by that decision.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

So what's with this new thing about not playing games due to injuries? Like COVID is one thing. If you have a sub-25 man roster, that's also understandable that injuries mount.

But you have some starters out and you can forfeit or opt to not play?
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Despite Penn Cambria cancelling with Richland on Friday, I've heard that tonight's JV game is still on. So they had enough healthy players, just not the right ones?
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

If you forfeit a game, for any reason, do you get a loss?
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Yes. But a loss is the equivalent of not playing at all. 0 points. There is no added penalty for forfeiting.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Thanks! So if a team chooses to NOT play a game (which they surely would lose): no harm, no foul. No damage done unless their school has a policy about # of wins and losses to accept a playoff bid.
upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by upnorth »

Funny how times change. I recall St. Joe's football program being placed on double secret probation in 2015 after forfeiting a home game against Penns Manor when they were down to 15 healthy players which included 6 freshmen. A certain Indiana county principal on the D6 Committee was beside himself that St. Joe's had the audacity to deny the Penns Manor players a chance to play on Friday night.

Fast forward one week, Penns Manor throttled Saltsburg 70-0 with the Trojans suffering a number of injuries forcing them to forfeit their next game vs. Westinghouse. Saltsburg had 31 players rostered, but only 21 healthy for the potential Westinghouse game, many of them freshmen and sophomores. They made a sensible decision to forfeit as it was in the best interests of the health of their students. D6 Committee reaction? No problem, no probation.

8-man football in western PA is long overdue as is measured school district consolidation. I wonder what the single-A landscape will look like in 3 years.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

4 man football? Just like in the backyard as kids.
It ain't over until it's over.
doc91
Freshman
Freshman

Post by doc91 »

I have been waiting to see what teams were going to "not play" during the season. The PIAA rule is pretty clear on if you again playing a team for competition reasons... but the Covid issue really clouds it. Portage could of played last week. PC appeared to have a valid Covid issue.
But, I think if a team does not play they should get penalized is some way, if it's Covid related or not. Looking at Glendale's situation, they had 17 vs Tussey Mountain and then played with 14 against MV last week. Their AD said they have more players not available due to a Covid issue and only have 10 players available. It doesn't appear they are ducking anyone, but they still should be penalized if for not playing then at least for failure to wash their hands and not wearing a mask.
doc91
Freshman
Freshman

Post by doc91 »

I have been waiting to see what teams were going to "not play" during the season. The PIAA rule is pretty clear on if you again playing a team for competition reasons... but the Covid issue really clouds it. Portage could of played last week. PC appeared to have a valid Covid issue.
But, I think if a team does not play they should get penalized is some way, if it's Covid related or not. Looking at Glendale's situation, they had 17 vs Tussey Mountain and then played with 14 against MV last week. Their AD said they have more players not available due to a Covid issue and only have 10 players available. It doesn't appear they are ducking anyone, but they still should be penalized if for not playing then at least for failure to wash their hands and not wearing a mask.