Penn State

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Penn State

Post by abpk2903 »

Goldeneagles12 wrote: September 28th, 2021, 11:27 am Imo if they play to there potential I think they are the best team in the Big Ten. They need to get a run game going or it's gonna look like the Steelers where they know your throwing cause you can't run the ball. Against better teams that will be their downfall.
The difference is Penn State has shown an ability to pass protect. Auburn (a SEC defense) didn't sack Clifford once.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

I'd be more worried that the PSU defense has only 6 sacks in 4 games.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

El-Moldo wrote: September 30th, 2021, 10:38 am I'd be more worried that the PSU defense has only 6 sacks in 4 games.
Strength of PSU defense is the secondary.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

And? That's like saying PSU's strength is in their passing game when asked about their running game.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Considering sacks would be part of pass defense and so is secondary, idk maybe...what?
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Guys, this is a penn state thread. That means moldo and manfred will be on here just to throw shade at penn state however they can.

Im sure they would try to minimize anything penn state, even things like the historic volleyball run PSU had around a decade ago or if PSU football won a national championship this year.

You cant take what they say with any form of seriousness
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Well, they DO keep separate stats for sacks, don't they. So they aren't really considered pass defense stats. And konjo, I did not MAKE UP what I said about PSU sacks after 4 games. If I don't tell the truth, you can call me on it. Otherwise....
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

El-Moldo wrote: September 30th, 2021, 9:31 pm Well, they DO keep separate stats for sacks, don't they. So they aren't really considered pass defense stats. And konjo, I did not MAKE UP what I said about PSU sacks after 4 games. If I don't tell the truth, you can call me on it. Otherwise....
They do also keep separate stats for hurries, pass deflections, and interceptions....sometimes I just hope you're trolling and I'll just not argue.

I even threw creds to Pitt in this thread to get you in a good mood.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I am sure you can find concerns with any team across the country right now, outside of Alabama.

End of the day Penn State is 4-0 with a road win at Wisconsin and a home win against Auburn. If you told me before the season they would be sitting at 4-0 right now, I would have taken no matter how they looked doing it.

You can look at lack of rushing attack and lack of pass rush as a problem. I look at it as they even have areas they can get better. We will see how it plays out.

Penn State has gone to more of a bend but don't give up a big play style of defense. For the most part, it has work. They stopped Wisconsin in the red zone 3 times, Auburn 4 times. That was the difference in those games. If they allow those drives to be TDs, they are sitting at 2-2.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

I remember for a few years high schools kept stats for first hits. In my day, if you got their first, it was called a tackle. You can make a stat for anything.