Central Cambria

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
footballfan1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Central Cambria

Post by footballfan1 »

I didn't realize that in the last 6 previous seasons they have won only 13 football games. I see them going 4-6 this season. Are they not getting kids out? McGregor has a good offensive philosophy I believe. Is their defense lacking over the last few years? What is McGregor's overall record?

Are they going through a phase with their boy's sports in general? Boys basketball and wrestling? They are struggling also?
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: Central Cambria

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

I'm no expert on CC, but it seems they let quality coaches go and it's created instability in football. I'm not saying McGregor isn't quality, but turnover always creates these kinds of issues.

From some conversations I've had, it seems like the feeder system in the lower levels is a mess full of infighting, favoritism, and a lack of long-term vision and thinking. I realize this may be common in many areas, but certainly seems true at CC.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

footballfan1 wrote: October 17th, 2021, 11:25 am I didn't realize that in the last 6 previous seasons they have won only 13 football games. I see them going 4-6 this season. Are they not getting kids out? McGregor has a good offensive philosophy I believe. Is their defense lacking over the last few years? What is McGregor's overall record?

Are they going through a phase with their boy's sports in general? Boys basketball and wrestling? They are struggling also?
Locals will say it’s a lot of things, but when you have to play Bedford, Chestnut Ridge, Richland, and BG the last 6 years, sprinkled in with the Cecere years of Forest Hills and now Central, and let’s face it, it’s tough to go .500 in the LHAC.

Look at Cambria Heights for instance, did they suddenly become an 8-0 team because of a sudden change in coaching staff or philosophy?
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

Ken Bussard and his Red Devils:

His Central Cambria teams went 146-99-1 during Bussard’s two tenures with the program.

The Devils won District 6 championships in 1995 and 2000.
The Red Devils won more than they lost under Bussard.

During his 23 seasons, Central Cambria had 13 winning records, four 5-5 marks and six losing seasons, with most of those teams closing just under the .500 mark.
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

Come on CC, time to admit that hiring McGregor was huge mistake, while he may have been talent, his run as a head coach has been disappointing.

Bedford has not been overly talented under Kevin Steele, but they have been very well coached.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

youngbuck wrote: October 17th, 2021, 10:50 pm Come on CC, time to admit that hiring McGregor was huge mistake, while he may have been talent, his run as a head coach has been disappointing.

Bedford has not been overly talented under Kevin Steele, but they have been very well coached.
Kevin Steele’s best years in Bedford have been with Austin Montgomery and Mercury Swaim under center, I’d argue they’re both pretty talented players. The years without those 2? They were at best a .500 team, at worst a 1-2 win team, and a 3-7 team a few years ago.

CC had just 3 applicants for the job last time it was open, and none had head football coaching experience, so who should they have hired? Perhaps you have some insider knowledge.

To imply the hiring was a huge mistake is to imply that these teams have underachieved. What games was CC favored in that they lost because of poor coaching?
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

CCDevil2012 wrote: October 18th, 2021, 12:49 am
CC had just 3 applicants for the job last time it was open, and none had head football coaching experience, so who should they have hired? Perhaps you have some insider knowledge.
Again, I'm not weighing in on whether or not McGregor is the right guy for CC, but having only 3 inexperienced applicants for this job shows there are larger systematic issues going on there.
reugenev
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by reugenev »

Better check your record before you bring up Cambria Heights.

CC is 1-5 the last 6 years against CH, maybe the Westpac or ICC would take the devils?

They would struggle in the Heritage too!
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

To be fair so would Somerset, Johnstown, Westmont and Bishop McCort.

None of those schools have quit the LHAC though.
guru1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by guru1 »

reugenev wrote: October 18th, 2021, 7:36 pm Better check your record before you bring up Cambria Heights.

CC is 1-5 the last 6 years against CH, maybe the Westpac or ICC would take the devils?

They would struggle in the Heritage too!
So they would struggle in the Heritage but not the ICC??