Central Cambria

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Central Cambria

Post by youngbuck »

Cambria Heights is significantly better on an annual basis after Justin Meyers was fired.
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

I don't remember hearing much about Homer Center prior to Coach Page taking over but believe he has taken them today state title game
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

We all think of the success that Berlin has yearly but prior to Doug Paul, this was not the same program we know today.
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

94 when Franco came to Tyrone.
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

What about what Brandon Bailey has done at Richland? Or Justin Wheeler at BG? Prior to either coach district title banners were not getting hung at either school.

Is that enough examples of coaches that have made a team better.

Just because someone was on the team at Penn State does not mean they are the next Matt Rhule. I believe the CC community really wanted this to work. It would have been a great story. That being said I think we are close to seeing the same post about FH and Justin Meyers in the future.
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

Goldeneagles12 wrote: October 19th, 2021, 9:22 am 94 when Franco came to Tyrone.
Totally forgot this one
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Not this area but in my opinion the biggest example.. Southern Columbia was nothing they barely had winning seasons before they hired Jim Roth. Coaches and culture can make all the difference.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

I think Justin Wheeler is a great coach, but it’s hard for me to rally behind programs that have had significant transfers in their tenure. He’s a good coach, but having 3 300lb lineman on a A school doesn’t hurt either. I would have really liked to see him take a stab at Penn Cambria. Sponsky was also well liked, but there were heavy heavy allegations of active recruiting against him as well.

Private schools aside, the other examples are good examples, but as someone mentioned, schools like Tyrone have a great culture and community support. Even Bailey has gone through several cycles of good and bad years, but no one was calling for him to be fired.

Franco had great success at Tyrone, then wasn’t good enough at Altoona, was going to be the savior of Penn Cambria before going 2-18 (?) and going back to Tyrone with minimal life changing success.

Heights may be better with Lewis, but again, maybe 1-2 wins more per year on average. I just don’t see that being significant.

In most situations at the high school level, coaching is far from the root of the problem, and turnover of coaching doesn’t help when you don’t fix the underlying problems.

“Fire Mcgregor”, and when the next coach goes 1-9 or 2-8, how many years does he get? Then the next guy, and the next. It just becomes a never ending cycle.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Landis at Somerset is another good example, everyone loved him when he had the athletes, then he was a terrible coach. So they bring in Basile who had some success at BM and hasn’t done anything to right the ship.

A better question to ask is who is available to coach?
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Coaches need quite a few years for things to come together and to develop culture change from peewee up to varsity, but the school also has to do well for itself. This certainly plays hands in where you're going to live and have your kids go. 5-10 years to change a program into something close to elite. Typically, you need the coach to be faculty to help with kids coming out. That's not always easy to find the right choice.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths