Central Cambria

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
LVRams10
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Central Cambria

Post by LVRams10 »

I completely disagree that the best athletes are needed to be successful long term. Having played under Coach Page at Laurel Valley, rarely were we even close to being the most talented teams. But year after year LV made the playoffs and had quite a few long runs. I believe Coach Page had three losing seasons in something like 27 years or so? Same with the Franco’s, Bailey’s, and, hate him or love him, Beitels of the world. People may say that was a different era, but his son Greg has done the exact same thing at Homer Center and they win 7 games every year. Trust me, they’re not the most talented roster year in and year out.

At the small school level, and probably large too, system and structure are key. As mentioned by someone else with Tyrone, we ran the same system since we were 8 years old. I knew the offense to a T when I was 12.

And everyone knew the expectations that the program was bigger than the individual. There was discipline involved in all aspects of the program. Many times more talented kids stopped playing because they didn’t want to put in the work and live up to the standard. And despite having low numbers each year, I think that actually benefitted the program in the long run. Those who were in, were all-in.

I think success at that level is much less about Xs and Os and more about leadership and structure.
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 223113 »

Just wanted to interject 1 aspect that I don't believe was mentioned in this topic, but we've all seen it mentioned in other topics from time to time over the years. There are more sports for kids to compete in now, than there were in the 80's, and 90's. Back "in the day", ALL of the best athletes in my high school, played football. That is NOT the case today. Take FH as an example. If each given class has 10-12 solid athletes, and they ALL play football, (with Buy In, as someone mentioned) that team Will be competitive, and coaching will be easier. If half of each classes athletes goes off to golf, swimming, rifle, volleyball, etc.,...life gets harder for the coach, and wins are harder to come by. Simply the world we live in now.
"Back in the day," high school football was King, with no competition. Not so today.
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

That might be the case at some schools but at Tyrone under Franco who encourages the kids to play other sports. We always have had football players that played Basketball or Wrestled or whatever other sport because it helps them in football also. Damon Gripp who I'd say most people would agree was Tyrones best athlete played multiple sports.
NewVoice
Freshman
Freshman

Post by NewVoice »

Obviously CC and FH haven’t been great recently record wise but it is tough to only judge by that. Both teams this year will have lost to Central, Bedford, Richland, and BG. FH beat Ridge and CC lost to them. That’s probably 5 district champs CC will have lost to and FH will have lost to 4 plus CC. I think FH gets into the playoffs and could end up in the D6 finals. I assume that would take the heat off of them.

Central Cambria which this topic is about. They beat both Heights and BEA last season and Devil said they brought 9 starters back. Those 2 teams are 17-1 combined this year playing in other conferences. We can all agree the LHAC is loaded this season. I get you have to play the schedule you have but that is bad luck for them. Homer Center might be the only team on Heights schedule to win a playoff game this year the way the seeds look now in single A. I’ll wait until the playoffs to really judge them. If they win the D6 title, brag away. If they lose to Richland who will only finish 3rd or 4th in the LHAC by 35, I’d stop bashing CC and FH.
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 223113 »

Yeah, I wasn't referring to winter sports, like basketball, and wrestling, or spring sports, like baseball. They've existed as long as football, but are after football season, so not a conflict. I was referring to the new "fall" sports, clubs, and activities that didn't even exist in our area in the 80's, 90's, and even early 2000's.
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

Why would anyone want to sweat and have to workout when they could just play esportz?
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Concussion concerns were at their peak when these kids were youth football age. The movie was out, pro athletes went public saying they would never let their kids play, and a lot of parents pulled their kids out of the sport. That's when soccer, fall baseball, and year-round ice hockey really took off. Heck there are even good athletes choosing golf these days. When I was in school, the only kids that played golf were the kids that couldn't cut it in chess club. Different times.

If you have a coach that is somewhat interested and isn't abusing the kids, keep him.
Skippy
Senior
Senior

Post by Skippy »

My opinion is part of being a good high school coach, in any sport is getting kids to play. Almost have to be a good salesman to get kids out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

This entire thread is kind of ridiculous. Shane does a great job. The kids are engaged and love to play for him.
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Are you serious? 13 wins in six seasons and your are giving the guy a back massage.