4A and 3A State playoffs

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

4A and 3A State playoffs

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

AAAA
Jersey Shore (13-0) vs. Meadville (9-3) AT Clarion University Saturday 1:00 p.m.
Belle Vernon 10-0 vs. Aliquippa (10-1) AT Heinz Field Saturday 3:00 p.m.
Bishop Shanahan (10-3) at Valley View (12-1) Friday 7:00 p.m.
Lampeter-Strasburg (11-1) at Bishop McDevitt (10-1) Friday 7:00 p.m.

AAA
Central Valley (12-0) vs. North Catholic (12-0) AT Heinz Field Saturday Noon
Central (13-0) vs. Grove City (10-2) AT Slippery Rock Univ. Friday 7:00 p.m.
Neumann-Goretti (10-1) vs. Danville (8-4) AT Leighton Friday 6:00 p.m.
Scranton Prep (11-0) vs. Wyomissing (13-0) AT Governor Mifflin HS Saturday 2:00 p.m.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: 4A and 3A State playoffs

Some interesting games in AAAA, especially the WPIAL final. Aliquippa is of course a single-A school that was voluntarily playing AAA, but got moved up to AAAA because of the new success/transfer formula. The Quips are in danger of being moved to 5A next year under the same rules if they make it to Hershey, and the school came out this week and said they would pull out of the WPIAL and play an independent schedule if that were to happen. So it'll be interesting to see if they were to win and what would happen with that.

I'm not sure Aliquippa can win, though. Belle Vernon is pretty talented, led by Quinton Martin who is the best sophomore in the state.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Obviously AAA has some local interest with Central, and for my money it might be the best bracket out of the six. Central, Central Valley, and Wyomissing all seem like they could win the state title IMO. Neumann-Goretti has enough talent to make a case too.

I'd give the edge to Central Valley. Sean FitzSimmons is one of the most dominant D-Linemen in the state. He's going to Pitt next year.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Someone is worried about Ali, but continue to let privates play down. Makes no sense.
It ain't over until it's over.
Hangman
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Hangman »

Manfred wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 1:16 pm Someone is worried about Ali, but continue to let privates play down. Makes no sense.
Yup. Crazy how that works.
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Welcome to the LHAC, Alliquipa.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Manfred wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 1:16 pm Someone is worried about Ali, but continue to let privates play down. Makes no sense.
Privates don't play down. Those rules apply to them as well.

Cathedral Prep is playing up in football under the same rule as Aliquippa, same with BG boys BBall.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Since the Quips voluntarily play up, I don't think it should apply to them, though.
BoStillKnows
Senior
Senior

Post by BoStillKnows »

How is Aliquippa forced to move up, but schools like Clairton, BG, and Southern Columbia don't have to? What am I missing, because all of those schools have been consistent state title contenders this past 5-7 years
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Clairton and BG haven't been as good since the rule was put in place. But no idea about Southern Columbia, they win a district and state title every year, and I'm pretty sure they do it with multiple transfers as well.