PIAA Classification Craziness....Coming Soon!

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Earl34
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: PIAA Classification Craziness....Coming Soon!

Post by Earl34 »

It seems to me that the only thing changing is the numbers reported to piaa. Piaa will still even out the amount of teams in each class with the new reported numbers. I understand that the small schools have nowhere to go, but as coach says most schools will be affected by this. So how many schools will actually change classes if a majority schools numbers change?
costanza
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by costanza »

That is what I have been wondering too Earl. And I agree with you coach and roadie, it is a shame that you can throw a co-op together one month before the season starts with really good players from two schools, and still remain Class A. And there's another local school that just decided to have a co-op with a school, and they are the ones that are trying to use this Tech Center number thing to their advantage just so they can stay class A.
guru1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by guru1 »

costanza wrote: November 27th, 2021, 1:38 pm That is what I have been wondering too Earl. And I agree with you coach and roadie, it is a shame that you can throw a co-op together one month before the season starts with really good players from two schools, and still remain Class A. And there's another local school that just decided to have a co-op with a school, and they are the ones that are trying to use this Tech Center number thing to their advantage just so they can stay class A.
What’s a shame is that Coach whined about this all season. The reason that co-op stayed Class A is because the two schools that joined were tiny and even adding them together they were still smaller than his school and a good many other Class A schools… it’s a ridiculous argument. He only cared because they were good. If they had been a 2-8 team nobody would have cared less.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

I didn’t complain all season. You may have viewed it that way, but that’s not correct. The schedule question came up several times from media members when I was asked questions prior to a game. I wasn’t griping.

The co-ops are what they are. Teams are being forced into them due to low numbers and it’s going to continue to happen as small schools deal with the issues going on today.

Just look at the last 2-3 years instead of thinking this is directed this at just one school.

All of the following are gone as a solo program:
United
Blacklick
Shade
Ferndale
Blairsville
Williamsburg
Saltsburg
BC

Now, look at the success of River Valley, CV, and JV this year. It helps so it likely happens even more. D6 is down to like 12 class A football schools and I believe it was around 18 two-three years ago.

NB was at 104 last count.

JV was 82 and Will was 71. We weren’t still bigger than the co-op this year and it doesn’t matter.

Call it whining. I don’t believe I am or that I was.
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
Capnweird
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Capnweird »

From what I recall from research done a few years ago, this may have changed since, PIAA rules on Co-ops cause the host school, in this case JV to add just 25% of the second school's (Williamsburg) enrollment.
25% of 71 is 17.75, we will round that up to 18. Adding that 18 to JV's 81 still leaves their enrollment at only 99.
This has been the way that co-ops have worked for at least ten years, but this is why many co-ops do not move up in classification. Call it fair or not fair if you want, but the ruling was made to give kids who wouldn't have a chance to play a chance. If the host school had to absorb the entire enrollment they would be far more inclined to reject any co-op deals.
costanza
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by costanza »

It's 50 percent
Capnweird
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Capnweird »

You are correct, my mistake. The total with the 50% would be 116, which is still well below the AA cutoff.
Tony1234
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Tony1234 »

Does anyone know factually, WHEN, this change in counting votec numbers of 10%. ? I know for a fact this was Not how numbers were counted 10 years ago.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

The new numbers are out.

1A was 138 and below, now 123 and below
2A was 139-207, now 124-180
3A was 208-280, now 181-262
4A was 281-402, now 263-382
5A was 403-585, now 383-557
6A was 586 and above, now 558 and above

Schools that don’t send kids to vo tech or have their own on campus….wow. 124 boys is AA now in football. In other sports, this is where you see even bigger changes.

https://www.piaa.org/assets/web/documen ... evised.pdf

Some HUGE changes.
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

If you go leave your home school to go to Vo-Tech, can you not still play sports at the home school?
If only closed minds came with closed mouths