LHAC going up in flames?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: LHAC going up in flames?

Post by knowitall »

Windber hasn’t really been the big fish in a little pond in decades.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

I'm not sure why everyone thinks these schools are much larger than they really are based on the success they had in a tiny conference. Portage will be the 2nd smallest school for football in the Heritage behind Penns Manor.

In the ICC, Windber is smaller than Everett, Southern Huntington (co-op), Berlin (co-op), Mount Union, Curwensville, North Star. They're only 3 kids larger than NBC and 4 larger than Meyersdale and West Branch. Middle of the pack.

Central and River Valley would be your "big fish, small pond". Bellwood was the largest school by far without co-op numbers in the ICC, but still much smaller than all the public schools in the LHAC. They would have a much easier time being competitive in the LHAC than any of the WestPAC schools just based on the numbers alone. They have 26 more boys than Windber, 57 more than Portage. If Berlin didn't have Rockwood coop numbers, Bellwood would have over twice as many kids. 138 to Berlin's 61. You certainly have to take co-op numbers into consideration as well. It's easier to have the numbers whenever they're coming from one location.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

The co-op numbers are skewed. How many kids from the co-op school actually play for the bigger schools? Thats a flawed way to look at it.
It ain't over until it's over.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Manfred wrote: June 1st, 2022, 8:51 am The co-op numbers are skewed. How many kids from the co-op school actually play for the bigger schools? Thats a flawed way to look at it.
I read this a few times. I'm not sure what you mean. My point was that it's flawed to think that a school with an enrollment of 150 doesn't have the advantage over a co-op with the same enrollment. It's much easier for the kids all under the same roof. Berlin's been certainly blessed with how the Rockwood co-op has been embraced.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Yes you have a good point. I don't know the individual school's numbers, but how many kids actually from Rockwood play football for Berlin? The same goes for any two other schools in co-op. If any school has, say 100 total enrollment, how many are actually playing in certain sports? Even with the co-op? Shanksville/ Shade? Is it worth it to the bigger school to accept the lesser? Just asking for the sake of discussion.
It ain't over until it's over.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Speaking for just junior high, it's a good amount. Not quite 50/50, with a few sprinkles from Shanksville. Rockwood is such a soccer heavy school, but it's a great relationship and there's no difference between who's who. It's one team, best foot forward, next man up mentality. Shade is with CT.
Rumorman78
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Rumorman78 »

I posted this earlier this year, but no one gave an opinion. What is reasoning behind Conemaugh Twp. not join ICC Conference. If they had. they would be playing all A ,AA District 5 schools in football. Also they are losing a number of their biggest rivals in Somerset county.
ICCFan
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by ICCFan »

Great question. A real head scratcher for sure. Maybe someone with WestPAC ties would have a reason? BTW, I don't buy the academics and arts argument that I saw in the paper. I can't see the opportunity to be in the "Quiz Bowl" or the "Art Festival" trumping rivalry games with North Star or Windber in football or basketball!
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

I’m more surprised that Windber and North Star didn’t join CT in the Heritage.
reugenev
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by reugenev »

They probably should have! They could’ve kept the rivalries with the Conemaughs and Portage!