Player misses practice

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Rumorman78
Freshman
Freshman

Player misses practice

Post by Rumorman78 »

As a former football and basketball coach, what do you think should happen when a player misses numerous practices? This could also apply to other sports, but I would like to hear how coaches or parents feel how this should be handled. It was one of many dilemmas I faced as a coach. No matter what solution I chose it always seem to bit me in the butt.
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: Player misses practice

Post by BigSkyCountry »

Player is not mentally and physically prepared for the next contest. He who is gets the nod.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Times have changed. There used to be a CADRE of coaches, in all sports, and you all can name them from memory, that would NOT put up with this crap from any youth who is supposed to show up and train, practice hard in order to make themselves better. You want to play, show up for practice, don't dog it, keep your mouth shut unless asking a question to make yourself better, make your teammates better with your play. There is no 'I' in team, still applies.
It ain't over until it's over.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Rumorman78 wrote: January 25th, 2022, 3:06 am As a former football and basketball coach, what do you think should happen when a player misses numerous practices? This could also apply to other sports, but I would like to hear how coaches or parents feel how this should be handled. It was one of many dilemmas I faced as a coach. No matter what solution I chose it always seem to bit me in the butt.
It depends. How good is he? How good is his replacement?
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

I would go with a college system. Not being able to practice was its own punishment that kept you from improving and allowed your backup to get better and be seen more. Once it was time to plan for gameday, you go with whoever you think gives you the best chance to win, regardless of who practiced more recently. I think in hs, this strategy also keeps you from having to investigate the reasons for absences. Maybe it is just laziness, but could be family problems, transportation/financial issues, conflicts with other activities or academics, and so on.

I also didn't like when a coach punished a kid for a missed recent practice and didn't take into account how much a kid might have done on the off-season or how experienced the kid was. It was more about the coach exerting his authority than making the best decisions for his team.
old school
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by old school »

I disagree OutOfTheLoop. Off-season/summer workouts are optional. Practice is not.
"The old lessons (work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve) aren't being taught by many people other than football coaches these days....." Paul "Bear" Bryant
Capnweird
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Capnweird »

For me, I would say it depends on what the team understanding is. If nothing is said before the season starts then you have nothing to say when someone misses. If you tell them before the season starts that if they miss practice they don't play and they still miss then they are making that decision. Having clear expectations can really help, and of course understanding circumstances (funeral, illness etc.).
I know one coach who simply docks points from a perspective varsity letter for a missed practice then lets the best kids compete, his rational is that way the team doesn't suffer but that person's individual goals may.
Another coach I know does not play a kid in the next game if they miss a practice, his rational is that they show their dedication clearly if they miss and if they all know that is the outcome then certainly they are making a statement.

Personally, I can not justify letting a kid who never shows up to practice start over someone who always does, it really hurts moral and motivation amongst the rest of the team. But, again with clear expectations I have never run into that being a situation on any team I have coached.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

old school wrote: January 25th, 2022, 12:55 pm I disagree OutOfTheLoop. Off-season/summer workouts are optional. Practice is not.
So a kid shows up and commits year round but misses a practice for a personal reason and should be benched? Or punished? And you should reward the kids who only care enough to show up when they’re supposed to?
old school
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by old school »

There are exceptions funerals, doctor's appointments, etc but if an athlete just skips practice they should be benched.
"The old lessons (work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve) aren't being taught by many people other than football coaches these days....." Paul "Bear" Bryant
reugenev
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by reugenev »

“I mean, listen, we talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. We talking about practice.”
AI