Make District 6 One Conference

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Make District 6 One Conference

Post by konjo78 »

Nemesis wrote: February 17th, 2022, 4:54 pm Here is a Google Map showing the regions proposed by Crimson with the switch of Berlin and Everett as suggested by dadw/2sons. I am more of a visual person, so it's helpful to see where the alignments would be.

Crimson's Ghost's All-District VI Conference

I think it would need to be adjusted. Indiana is the outlier in Region 1 by a wide margin. However, the alignments of Regions 7 and 8 are the most glaring, in my opinion.

Conspicuously absent in this proposal is Hollidaysburg. They play an independent schedule now. Would they not want the stability of a local conference?

Likewise, you have Juniata in Region 6. They joined the Mid Penn Conference in 2020. I cannot foresee them leaving that conference. If anything, they would and will in the future likely petition to rejoin District III. I would also not be surprised if Central Mountain joined District IV.

I think it's a neat idea, but I do not believe that it will be put into practice anytime soon. The Heritage and the Inter-County Conference enjoy their little fiefdoms too much. I have a hard time believing that schools and conference officials would willingly give up the autonomy they enjoy now.
With Indiana or bigger schools there is something to consider that longer distances are going to happen. Indiana is surrounded by small schools, but traveling to Johnstown is probably no larger in distance covetered than some of the schools they play in the WPIAL
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Blueandwhitefan »

Like the other post says. "Stop it. You're making sense" And as far as Indiana. I don't see that happening. (As I put in a previous post, it was discussed at a board meeting) I coached youth sports against them for years. Now, after 6 months of retirement, I do some part time work at the High School. The ego's there will never allow the school to lower itself to D6.

quote="Crimson's Ghost" post_id=339456 time=1645122297 user_id=7537]
I mentioned in a previous thread: But here's my thought, merge District 5 and 6 into one District or one conference and if it wants to be called the LHAC, then so be it. In that I would allow the non-football Fulton County schools to join up with District 3. I would assume the District 6 AAAAA and AAAAAA teams wouldn't want much to do this for football, but it would make sense to be association members in the mega-conference for some other sports.

Also try and poach Indiana from the WPIAL would be a nice way to top this whole thing off.

The WPIAL plays everything by classification and I don't think the dynamics and geography work here for that to actually happen. I think there are some politics in play(i.e. a lot of A schools don't want to play private schools etc.), but mainly it's all logistics. So keep the private schools in sections with bigger schools, problem solved.

I think in this area we need to get to a point where District 5 and 6 schools are playing similarly sized schools without conferences zig-zagging over different counties.

Make One Conference. 48 football playing schools, Eight 6-team divisions. You play everyone once in your division, then and you get paired with a different division each season and that's your schedule. That way your schedule rotates each season and you get to play different teams, so when playoffs come around there's a sense of familiarity in each bracket.

The divisions can change from year to year, that's why it's nice to be under the banner of one single conference. If a school has decreased enrollment or whatever, they aren't locked into the exact same spot forever.

(I realize a few schools may have gotten the short end of the stick, but it's just an idea)

Region 1
1. Johnstown
2. Westmont
3. Richland
4. Bishop McCort
5. Forest Hills
6. Indiana
Region 2
1. Portage
2. Cambria Heights
3. Northern Cambria
4. Coneamugh Valley
5. Central Cambria
6. United
Region 3
1. Tyrone
2. Central
3. Penn Cambria
4. Bellwood-Antis
5. Bishop Guilfoyle
6. Huntingdon
Region 4
1. Marion Center
2. Homer Center
3. Penns Manor
4. West Shamokin
5. River Valley
6. Purchase Line
Region 5
1. Somerset
2. Windber
3. Bedford
4. Chestnut Ridge
5. Everett
6. Conemaugh Township
Region 6
1. Bellefonte
2. Juniata
3. Philipsburg-Osceola
4. Penns Valley
5. Bald Eagle
6. West Branch
Region 7
1. Berlin
2. Meyersdale
3. North Star
4. Claysburg-Kimmel
5. Northern Bedford
6. Tussey Mountain
Region 8
1. Southern Huntingdon
2. Mount Union
3. Glendale
4. Moshannon Valley
5. Williamsburg
6. Juniata Valley
[/quote]
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!
longball5
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by longball5 »

You do realize Indiana used to be in D6, don’t you?
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Blueandwhitefan »

I do know that. And know they left.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Is this the way to shut out the private schools?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Nope.
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dadw/2sons »

The map makes thing easier to see how this could work. I agree the travelling for regions 7 and 8 might be out of whack, but the match-ups and sizes of the schools work well. You have the Bedford and Somerset County schools in a region and the Huntingdon County schools in the other. You could easily cross those 2 regions and play games between those 2 regions.
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Seriously, what would stop the privates from not being invited to this conference?