A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: Could I get an explanation?

Post by HSD6FAN »

HSD6FAN wrote:
HSD6FAN wrote:
Goldeneagles12 wrote: As this post started with SCA it is 2hrs and 2min from catawissa where they reside to Altoona. For Central Valley it is 2hrs and 20 min to Altoona. Now to Cumberland Valley for SCA it's 1hr 35 min. For CV it's 3hrs 26min. Pretty big difference. So most of the WPIAL teams travel times will be pretty similar to Central Valleys. While some eastern schools have shorter than SCA. If it isn't bias then I'm wrong. I just think it should be centrally located.
I’m fairly certain that Altoona submitted a proposal to host the finals at Mansion Park. Several other places have that option as well. PIAA chose to host at Cumberland Valley.

Centre County is the center of the state (obviously). Beaver Stadium is too big and wouldn’t be a great high school atmosphere. State College redid their facility, but I’m sure parking would be a nightmare (probably worse than Mansion Park).

I like the finals in Cumberland Valley or Mansion Park. Someone will always be slightly closer. There is enough seating to hold everyone, but not excessive seating to lose the atmosphere. Plus, turf will hold up for six games compared to natural grass.

As for Southern Columbia, I believe they were originally slated to move to 3A, but filed an appeal and won. They seem to be able to manipulate the rules just enough to not actually be forced to move up over transfers and other factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s the article from their appeal in 2020.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2020/01 ... utType=amp

Here’s the article from 2022.

https://www.dailyitem.com/news/southern ... 7.amp.html

Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

HSD6FAN wrote: November 20th, 2022, 9:49 pm
HSD6FAN wrote:
HSD6FAN wrote: I’m fairly certain that Altoona submitted a proposal to host the finals at Mansion Park. Several other places have that option as well. PIAA chose to host at Cumberland Valley.

Centre County is the center of the state (obviously). Beaver Stadium is too big and wouldn’t be a great high school atmosphere. State College redid their facility, but I’m sure parking would be a nightmare (probably worse than Mansion Park).

I like the finals in Cumberland Valley or Mansion Park. Someone will always be slightly closer. There is enough seating to hold everyone, but not excessive seating to lose the atmosphere. Plus, turf will hold up for six games compared to natural grass.

As for Southern Columbia, I believe they were originally slated to move to 3A, but filed an appeal and won. They seem to be able to manipulate the rules just enough to not actually be forced to move up over transfers and other factors.

Here’s the article from their appeal in 2020.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2020/01 ... utType=amp

Here’s the article from 2022.

https://www.dailyitem.com/news/southern ... 7.amp.html

Your right Altoona did put in for it. According to the article Altoona offered to cover everything. So it was gonna be free for the PIAA.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Goldeneagles12 wrote: November 20th, 2022, 7:31 pm
Wrasslerfan wrote: November 20th, 2022, 5:00 pm
Goldeneagles12 wrote: November 20th, 2022, 4:08 pm The PIAA loves the eastern teams. They showed that bias when they moved the title games like 10 min away from Hershey instead of centrally locating them. Also money in attorneys helps too.
actually its 36 min and 24 miles between Cumberland Valley and Hersheypark Stadium and if they centrally located it in lets say the western part wouldnt the eastern teams complain about western favortism
As this post started with SCA it is 2hrs and 2min from catawissa where they reside to Altoona. For Central Valley it is 2hrs and 20 min to Altoona. Now to Cumberland Valley for SCA it's 1hr 35 min. For CV it's 3hrs 26min. Pretty big difference. So most of the WPIAL teams travel times will be pretty similar to Central Valleys. While some eastern schools have shorter than SCA. If it isn't bias then I'm wrong. I just think it should be centrally located.
Bravo. Well-put. It was good enough for over 2 decades, then suddenly it wasn't, when Cashman took over and screwed us in favor of his eastern bloc cronies.
It ain't over until it's over.
fballfaneast
Freshman
Freshman

Post by fballfaneast »

I'm not sure why the PIAA would ever have a rule that pushed a school into another classification because they won too often. What exactly are we trying to teach the kids? Your hard work and dedication should lead you to success. It shouldn't penalize you so that an inferior team has a chance to win a title they obviously don't deserve. This is the equivalent of saying everyone should get a trophy, even if they aren't the best.

SCA is not a powerhouse this year. In fact, they lost three games and weren't ranked in the top ten at all once their season was only a few weeks in. They're not a school with a large male base to choose from. They're also not a school surrounded by other large schools, so who would want to play them if they moved up in classification in their geographic area? How far would they have to travel on a weekly basis to play AAA and AAAA schools...probably close to an hour or more as they're in a very rural area with many small schools surrounding them.

The fact that they turned it around at the end of the season and just beat MCA is a testament to the coaches and players that put in that hard work to get back to a level that made them competitive again in the state. Now you say they shouldn't compete at the level that the PIAA has classified them per their enrollment? Why? The team they are playing this Friday was moved up in classification because they can literally pull players from anywhere. How is that still even fair to the schools that are classified as AA because their potential group of athletes to pull from is within that designated size of male students? SCA has 1 player that moved into the area and he's not even a starter. How is that the same as a school that recruited stars to their team in order to win? SCA's program starts at the bottom up and is year round. It's built on tradition. If your team isn't winning, you need to look within, adopt some of those same techniques that makes SCA successful and put in the hard work. I don't expect SCA to win the title this year as I was just amazed they beat MCA after losing decisively to them earlier in the year. But, here we go again with the "they should move up a class" argument from those who somehow think they should be penalized for being successful. Great lesson to teach the kids, right?
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Manfred wrote: November 21st, 2022, 8:52 am
Bravo. Well-put. It was good enough for over 2 decades, then suddenly it wasn't, when Cashman took over and screwed us in favor of his eastern bloc cronies.
Us?

Sidman is only 124 miles from Mechanicsburg.

Perhaps we should relocate our state capital to Wilmore.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Us: Definition: EVERYONE but YOU. Generically speaking, western Pa. Even your limited capacity should understand that.
It ain't over until it's over.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

I get it completely Manfred. You’re boo hoo hooing because Mechanicsburg is a farther drive from your house than Altoona. Do people in Erie cry because the state capital is so far away? It’s a silly argument.
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

Be thankful it's not soccer. Kids dream of making it to Hershey to play for a state championship. Then it gets moved to Cumberland Valley. But the state championships for soccer were played at Eagle Valley MIDDLE school. Now there's something for a little kid to dream about.
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

knowitall wrote: November 21st, 2022, 12:53 pm I get it completely Manfred. You’re boo hoo hooing because Mechanicsburg is a farther drive from your house than Altoona. Do people in Erie cry because the state capital is so far away? It’s a silly argument.
agreed manfreds boo hooing wayy too much on this topic
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

fballfaneast wrote: November 21st, 2022, 9:53 am I'm not sure why the PIAA would ever have a rule that pushed a school into another classification because they won too often. What exactly are we trying to teach the kids? Your hard work and dedication should lead you to success. It shouldn't penalize you so that an inferior team has a chance to win a title they obviously don't deserve. This is the equivalent of saying everyone should get a trophy, even if they aren't the best.

SCA is not a powerhouse this year. In fact, they lost three games and weren't ranked in the top ten at all once their season was only a few weeks in. They're not a school with a large male base to choose from. They're also not a school surrounded by other large schools, so who would want to play them if they moved up in classification in their geographic area? How far would they have to travel on a weekly basis to play AAA and AAAA schools...probably close to an hour or more as they're in a very rural area with many small schools surrounding them.

The fact that they turned it around at the end of the season and just beat MCA is a testament to the coaches and players that put in that hard work to get back to a level that made them competitive again in the state. Now you say they shouldn't compete at the level that the PIAA has classified them per their enrollment? Why? The team they are playing this Friday was moved up in classification because they can literally pull players from anywhere. How is that still even fair to the schools that are classified as AA because their potential group of athletes to pull from is within that designated size of male students? SCA has 1 player that moved into the area and he's not even a starter. How is that the same as a school that recruited stars to their team in order to win? SCA's program starts at the bottom up and is year round. It's built on tradition. If your team isn't winning, you need to look within, adopt some of those same techniques that makes SCA successful and put in the hard work. I don't expect SCA to win the title this year as I was just amazed they beat MCA after losing decisively to them earlier in the year. But, here we go again with the "they should move up a class" argument from those who somehow think they should be penalized for being successful. Great lesson to teach the kids, right?
Please stop pretending that SC doesn't or hasn't benefitted from transfers in the last 20 years. Those local to the area are well aware of the school having players transfer early in their playing career. The claim is always "tradition", but plenty schools have a history of success built on tradition and don't win 6 of 7 state titles.