Basketball Rankings

Hardwood chatter
upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Basketball Rankings

Post by upnorth »

theprophet wrote:It is true D6 is reviewing Grace Prep and St Joseph' Catholic schedules.  I believe any game played against any school or academy that does not meet PIAA standards will be removed from counting against or for their point system.

I believe this is a necessary step the district is taking.  If they don't you could see teams scheduling more and more weaker or non qualifying schools just to accumulate points.
Not sure why they would review Saint Joseph's schedule considering that it is comprised of all PIAA schools.  I guess it could be due to potential bonus points based on winning percentage received against their one and only varsity game against Grace Prep (PIAA).

I've seen Grace Prep play multiple times over the years.  If they do participate in the playoffs, it will be one and done.  Saint Joseph's had their starters out in the second quarter when they played earlier this year.  If they don't participate, a 2-16 Harmony will get the opportunity to go to Saltsburg and Juniata Valley would get to host a first round game.
Prince Sidewinder
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Prince Sidewinder »

I do not believe Harmony would be in. I believe they will count the actual PIAA compliant games that Grace Prep played which is five to date. They are 2-3 in those games. Would give them a 2.00 average making them an eight seed and playing at Saltsburg. If they opt out Saltsburg would get a bye.
theprophet
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by theprophet »

I talked to a member close to Grace Prep and it looks like they will only lose 4 games. Not sure what points they will get and if they are wins or losses.
Prince Sidewinder
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

I know that two wins were against Cambria County Christian who play 7th/8th grade players.
theprophet
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by theprophet »

Correct and I believed 2 games against Bedford CTA also won't count.
Prince Sidewinder
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Dubois Central Catholic won't count.
Prince Sidewinder
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Sorry Dubois Christian
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Updated rankings from today

http://www.piaad6.org/basketballb_2016_weekrank.htm

At the bottom it states: ***  Grace Prep's seed and ranking points are unofficial pending the receipt of documentation and 
approval by District 6 of games played against non-PIAA schools.
SouthSide Johnny
Freshman
Freshman

Post by SouthSide Johnny »

They play quite a few teams from the Allegheny Athletic Christian Association.  That conference allows for 7th and 8th graders to play varsity without losing any eligibility.  I guess they want proof that the schools that they play are not using those young players in order for those games to count.  I would think that no game against a school from that conference should count being that their handbook permits that.  Regardless if a team has 7/8 graders on the roster or not.

PIAA will have to do this every year because some years a school may move none up and then the next year could have several on the roster.
SouthSide Johnny
Freshman
Freshman

Post by SouthSide Johnny »

I would think if you were in that league, unless you are PIAA sanctioned then the games do not count. Meadowbrook Christian and Northumberland Christian are in that league and both are PIAA members. Therefore those two schools cannot use 7th and 8th grade players.