Monday Scoreboard 2/27/17

Hardwood chatter
95bluepirate
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Monday Scoreboard 2/27/17

Post by 95bluepirate »

D6football fan....we blue pirates love our coach and you are right on what you said that he should've have gotten the JV job...but your current coach knew/knows how to say the right thing to the right people, he's a good salesman.  We def got the better coach as we won more games this year than JV has the last three years combined.  If we are really being honest if not for the new classes this year in 1A JV wouldn't have even made the playoffs because JV always as a school had to be 500 or better to qualify but since 1A is in my opinion now a shell of what it used to be they not only went to the playoffs but was a 4 seed with 10 wins.  What a joke.  It's the equivalent of everyone getting a participation trophy in youth sports.  To be fair I realize the blue pirates under the old classes would have been a low seed at best with our record. The new classes is a better system for us small schools but don't mistake that with all of a sudden it's great basketball.... The only reason we Wburg is playing for a D6 championship is because the format got much easier.  No BG, Homer Center, Portage, Etc...  Having said that yes we got the better coach and we will be good as long as he is here and was a key in beating Ferndale tonight.
AverageFan22
Freshman
Freshman

Post by AverageFan22 »

CCDevil2012 wrote:It is unfortunate but the current system isn't terrible. You get more points for bigger schools and power points for wins. I mean Ligonier and Westmont both had first round byes and home court advantage and needed to win just 1 game for a playoff bid. The only other thing D6 could do is say, "here is a bid, no need to play the games". You play the schedule you're given and win from there. 
Very aware with how the system works.  I see what you're saying and agree that you just have to deal with the hand you're given and "just win". But that doesn't make it fair.  It goes both ways and hurts teams. The points help, but they only count wins. A 6-16 LHAC team who lost 10 games by under 10 points will be like the 8 seed and play a Westpac team first round who is 20-2 but not as good as their record states. That WestPact team could lose, still be the 2nd best team yet have their season ended. In a double elim bracket, such as wrestling, it works itself out. But not with the current system. If you are a CC fan, and you can honestly say it's fair to Westmont that they were a seed worse than Juniata, then I don't know what else to say. 
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

CC girls had to play BC twice, BG twice, Forest Hills twice, and Bishop McCort once. Tyrone's toughest 2 games were Bellwood home and Bellwood away and they lost both of them. Is it fair that Tyrone would have 7 more losses playing in the LHAC but instead earned a 1 seed playing an easier schedule? Probably not. But they played the schedule they were given as did CC. As a Westy fan who would you have rather seen them play? Bellwood? If a team is 20-2 and lose to the 8 seed then so be it, the better team won. Even if a committee was hand picking the games (cue the NCAA Football playoff) you would still have mismatches, fans upset, and honesty the brackets wouldn't change that much. It's not a perfect system but if there was such a thing I'm sure the PIAA would use it.
AverageFan22
Freshman
Freshman

Post by AverageFan22 »

CCDevil2012 wrote:CC girls had to play BC twice, BG twice, Forest Hills twice, and Bishop McCort once. Tyrone's toughest 2 games were Bellwood home and Bellwood away and they lost both of them. Is it fair that Tyrone would have 7 more losses playing in the LHAC but instead earned a 1 seed playing an easier schedule? Probably not. But they played the schedule they were given as did CC. As a Westy fan who would you have rather seen them play? Bellwood? If a team is 20-2 and lose to the 8 seed then so be it, the better team won. Even if a committee was hand picking the games (cue the NCAA Football playoff) you would still have mismatches, fans upset, and honesty the brackets wouldn't change that much. It's not a perfect system but if there was such a thing I'm sure the PIAA would use it.
I'm not a Westmont fan, much more in tune with the WestPac schools. In a bracket like the NCAA tournament, the only goal is to win the championship. So to win, you have to be the best team, therefore you should be able to beat anybody. However, the problem in district playoffs is that teams qualify to play for the PIAA playoffs, so matchups early on really matter. Juniata is taking a spot in the state playoffs that they earned, but really Westmont and Liggy are both better teams. So in that sense, the system fails them. And you can't just say win, because Westmont played CC much much tougher than Juniata did. 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: The District always tries to get double headers. They've always operated this way, but still I think being the #1 seed should be worth something. I get why they did it, but still Richland shouldn't have to travel to Altoona.
And if you must make them travel, at least give them the early game so they can get home at a decent hour.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

AverageFan22 wrote: I'm not a Westmont fan, much more in tune with the WestPac schools. In a bracket like the NCAA tournament, the only goal is to win the championship. So to win, you have to be the best team, therefore you should be able to beat anybody. However, the problem in district playoffs is that teams qualify to play for the PIAA playoffs, so matchups early on really matter. Juniata is taking a spot in the state playoffs that they earned, but really Westmont and Liggy are both better teams. So in that sense, the system fails them. And you can't just say win, because Westmont played CC much much tougher than Juniata did. 
So because they played them tougher that means better? Maybe they just scouted better and had a better game plan. CC beat Cambria heights by 50 and 40 in the regular season but then only 10 in the first round. Just because Juniata got beat worse doesn't mean they're automatically worse. They had a chance to go and they both lost. It's the playoffs, survive and advance.
Last edited by CCDevil2012 on February 28th, 2017, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

As for the JV coach, I'd thought they would have been better this year. But with a lot of underclassmen, they will be my pick to win the conference next year and maybe districts.
dougkeklak
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dougkeklak »

From District 3-AAAA and their fifth place consolation bracket: Schuylkill Valley 61, Eastern York 59 and Littlestown 45, Susquehanna Township 41 (OT). SV and Littlestown will play tomorrow night.

Johnstown awaits the winner, March 11.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

What is it with some teams having to wait almost 2 full weeks until their next games? What contingencies does the PIAA allow for teams to maybe schedule 'practice' games or scrimmages against other teams to knock the rust off before their next scheduled inter-district games?
It ain't over until it's over.
Tussey Mt. fan
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Tussey Mt. fan »

Manfred wrote:What is it with some teams having to wait almost 2 full weeks until their next games? What contingencies does the PIAA allow for teams to maybe schedule 'practice' games or scrimmages against other teams to knock the rust off before their next scheduled inter-district games?

Scrimmages are permitted as long as both teams are still playing. Once your season ends you are not permitted to scrimmage a team that is still playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk