LHAC ‘17 ‘18

Hardwood chatter
Bobby92
Freshman
Freshman

Re: LHAC ‘17 ‘18

Post by Bobby92 »

justafan21 wrote:CC will lack miserably on Defense, sans M.H. in the post area. L.B. is the only defender on the perimeter. M.H. will defend the post admirably, but other than L.B., those other 4-5 guards are very weak defensively guarding the perimeter, stopping the dribble/drive and denying the opposite side cutter. The team will be at a considerable height disadvantage ( sans M.H. ), and other than M.H., they team is not physical. They shy away from physical contact, and have little physical strength.  Teams will double down on M.H., and they will not win many games firin’ from beyond  the arc - there are no Steph Curry’s on that squad, and none of those current guards can shoot with any pressure in their face like Gillen was able to. None of those guards can catch and shoot with any effectiveness when pressured. The team has no half court Offense ( other than trying to get the ball to M.H. in the post area ). The team is only effective in the fast break. They are an undisciplined squad. The two cousins are nothing more than turnovers - sure they can shoot, but only a rare open jumper. Those two make turnover after turnover, and the HC just leaves them in the contest. A good example of the season games : CC may be slightly “bigger” than BC as a team ( due to M.H. ), but BC will shut their guards down with ease ( BC can play some D ). I know this is a thread about '17/'18, but wait til next year for CC - you will see exactly what I am describing above........
The one Persio was point guard for a winning BC team. I don’t think he would’ve been their point guard if he was a turnover machine. Also the other Persio has yet to play high school basketball, so we can not call him a turnover machine when we haven’t seen him play a game yet...
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

justafan21 wrote:CC will lack miserably on Defense, sans M.H. in the post area. L.B. is the only defender on the perimeter. M.H. will defend the post admirably, but other than L.B., those other 4-5 guards are very weak defensively guarding the perimeter, stopping the dribble/drive and denying the opposite side cutter. The team will be at a considerable height disadvantage ( sans M.H. ), and other than M.H., they team is not physical. They shy away from physical contact, and have little physical strength.  Teams will double down on M.H., and they will not win many games firin’ from beyond  the arc - there are no Steph Curry’s on that squad, and none of those current guards can shoot with any pressure in their face like Gillen was able to. None of those guards can catch and shoot with any effectiveness when pressured. The team has no half court Offense ( other than trying to get the ball to M.H. in the post area ). The team is only effective in the fast break. They are an undisciplined squad. The two cousins are nothing more than turnovers - sure they can shoot, but only a rare open jumper. Those two make turnover after turnover, and the HC just leaves them in the contest. A good example of the season games : CC may be slightly “bigger” than BC as a team ( due to M.H. ), but BC will shut their guards down with ease ( BC can play some D ). I know this is a thread about '17/'18, but wait til next year for CC - you will see exactly what I am describing above........
last year CC essentially only had 4 shooting threats on the floor and did just fine. Overall they're a better shooting team this year. Teams will not be able to double up Holsinger AND cover 3 solid outside shooters. 
CoachFranklin
Freshman
Freshman

Post by CoachFranklin »

Bobby92 wrote:
lgb87cape wrote:
CCDevil2012 wrote:I had replied from the recent threads and didn't realize this was a basketball topic. That being said, Penn Cambria still doesn't beat Forest Hills, BG, or Central Cambria in the section. You forget that we still have Bennett and both Persios as well as solid juniors that were bench players last year. We don't have that slasher in Bopp but we have probably the best big man in the conference and 3-4 solid outside shooters. Richland should win the other section but Johnstown will be tough as usual. 
Ok. We'll see. The Persios will they go to BC mid season on a Monday and not play and come back to CC on Friday and play ?????
Central is going to destroy Penn Cambria this year. PC does not have any big guys to keep up with Holsinger. Also those PC guards wont be able to handle the Persios and Bennett.
Central Cambria might win but they definitely won't "destroy Penn Cambria this year." PC returns four starters and seven letterman and has a division one athlete in Mason Ronan that will be one of the best players in the conference and in the area this season. I think that Holsinger is the best big man in the area and that Bennett is a very talented guard but other than that I do not see what they have that makes you think they will destroy them. PC has a nice 6'3 junior who is getting better and will play Holsinger tough. I would also argue that not only will the PC guards be able to "handle" the Persios and Bennett but I would say that they are better guards overall will much more experience. Ronan is a 6'2 190, future Division one athlete who shuts people down defensively and breaks down opposing defenses to go along with Shuagis and Perrone who are both returning starters and four year letterman and throw in O'Donnell who it seems like can't miss a shot and I like PC's guards against CC's. Overall I think they both will have very nice seasons in a very competitive conference. I think Richland, Johnstown, BG, FH, CC, and PC are the best teams in the conference going into the season but we will see.... should be an interesting season.
CoachFranklin
Freshman
Freshman

Post by CoachFranklin »

Richland could contend for a state championship this year in my opinion. They bring back everyone from a very talented team and will only get better. Zimmerman is a phenomenal athlete to go along with a very nice guard in Caleb Burke and two very talented big guys in Hardison and Instone who I believe are both 6'3, could be a special year for the Rams
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

Are the state rankings out yet? I have searched on my own, without any luck. I ran across the girls state rankings. 3 LHAC teams ranked in the state! Anxious to see if the Rams of Richland are in the rankings. Who on Richland's schedule will test them? Any thoughts?
Thanks!
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/high ... 1711280074

Girls State Preseason Rankings. Should have put it in last thread.
Thanks!
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Ronan is a division 1 baseball pitcher, doesn't really extend to basketball in my opinion, the sport is way too different, especially at that position. He's an ok high school basketball player. Bartolo Colon is a major league pitcher, I don't think he would start on any local basketball teams. Evan Bopp was a phenomal slasher and barely got D3 hoops looks, to me there is a difference between a good athlete, and a good basketball player
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Lady Rangers #10?? Yes, they -only- lost Courtney Cecere, but that team was not the same when she wasn't on the floor. They will be good, but the question is, how good.
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

CCDevil2012 wrote:Ronan is a division 1 baseball pitcher, doesn't really extend to basketball in my opinion, the sport is way too different, especially at that position. He's an ok high school basketball player. Bartolo Colon is a major league pitcher, I don't think he would start on any local basketball teams. Evan Bopp was a phenomal slasher and barely got D3 hoops looks, to me there is a difference between a good athlete, and a good basketball player
Ronan still led his team in scoring, rebounds, and assists last year.  In small school high school athletics, being a division one athlete in one sport can certainly translate to another.  It's just about being a good athlete.  Ronan is a good athlete, but he's also productive on the basketball court. 
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

All I'm saying is the sport is different. Max Murin was a Division 1 athlete, but I don't think he would have helped CC win a state title last year.