Recruiting - JV.

Hardwood chatter
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Recruiting - JV.

Post by knowitall »

Every child wants to be on a travel all star team?  No, I think every child's dad (or mom) wants his kid to be on a travel all star team.

I get a kick out of these AAU programs puffing their chests because one of their athletes is moving on to play at Mt. Aloysius or Pitt-Greensburg.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

It used to be you were on an AAU team because you were a D1 caliber athlete. Now we have AAU for 8 year olds.
ERAChamp
Senior
Senior

Post by ERAChamp »

knowitall wrote:Every child wants to be on a travel all star team?  No, I think every child's dad (or mom) wants his kid to be on a travel all star team.

I get a kick out of these AAU programs puffing their chests because one of their athletes is moving on to play at Mt. Aloysius or Pitt-Greensburg.
Wow, in watching your comments regarding this post and your posts in general, you always seem to have a negative or adversary tone???  What is wrong with moving on to play at Mt. Aloysius or Pitt-Greensburg?  A LOT of people would be very happy about that, especially if you can get a free or partially free education out of it.  Not everyone who plays travel baseball or basketball has D1 aspirations and a major university is not for everyone.  
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

You don't get free educations at the Division 3 level. If you want to play at that level you pay to play at that level. You don't need to play AAU to play at that level. Many parents paying for their kids to play AAU are duped into thinking their kids will get a free ride. Very, very, very few do.
ERAChamp
Senior
Senior

Post by ERAChamp »

I am sure that they are many parents out there that think their kids will get a free ride by playing AAU, but I also think there are many more parents that simply want their kids to play with/against better competition or simply because their kid likes the sport and wants to try and get better at it.
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dadw/2sons »

Sportsfan, I know for a fact that the 2 girls from NBC and Ridge transferred into JV to play on their high school team that was the state runner-up for Single A. I am not sure about the other girl that I mentioned being from Altoona. Those 3 "moved" in to join the 2 local studs that are legit basketball studs to form the Juniata Valley AAU All-Star in beautiful Alexandria.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

So the original topic here was to allege recruiting against Juniata Valley, right? There's a topic on the wrestling forum that says Chestnut Ridge is holding a youth wrestling camp. Do we think that is for recruiting?
guru1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by guru1 »

SportsFan96 wrote:
dadw/2sons wrote:The answer to your question knowitall is this: Of the starting five for this year was this: 1 girl from NBC, 1 girl from CR, i think 1 from Altoona (not sure of this) and 2 local studs from the Valley area by birth. Not a bad local All-Star team.
Just for my own curiosity, are you talking about the AAU team or are you talking about girls that transferred in to JV from other schools so they could play for JV? Both have been discussed on this thread. I'm not big on AAU basketball (or basketball in general), but I would imagine an AAU team would have girls from different schools. If you mean the JV girls basketball team,  thread is titled RECRUITING-JV, so for my own curiosity, I'm just wondering how many girls transferred in to JV from other schools in the past couple of seasons that were on their previous schools Varsity roster?
The factual answer to the question you asked is ZERO. The girls they are referring to on this thread were never on there previous schools Varsity roster because they transferred when they were in Junior High. One had previously gone to Chestnut Ridge, one to NBC and one to Altoona. ALL transferred prior to high school and ALL live in the JV school district. So....my question is this.... There are tons of schools that have kids transfer in from elementary school all the way up....When is the cutoff for when it was an acceptable transfer vs "School with no integrity recruits" comes in to play (To quote the original poster)???? Either way you look at it the fact is this... The PIAA allows it...and they really do nothing to stop it (especially at the Catholic schools) so what choice has the PIAA given public schools but to try and attract kids (not recruit....attract)?? Sadly there is no other way to compete anymore. 
SportsFan96
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by SportsFan96 »

dadw/2sons wrote:Sportsfan, I know for a fact that the 2 girls from NBC and Ridge transferred into JV to play on their high school team that was the state runner-up for Single A. I am not sure about the other girl that I mentioned being from Altoona. Those 3 "moved" in to join the 2 local studs that are legit basketball studs to form the Juniata Valley AAU All-Star in beautiful Alexandria.
I really was curious to know about people transferring in...so I looked up on the District 6 website and read through all the meeting minutes looking at the transfer approvals all the way back to  January 2012 and to be honest, I found 1 transfer for a girl from NBC to JV and that was the only girls transfer I found for someone leaving a school going to JV...maybe I missed one somewhere, but I really tried to be thorough. Serious question- do all student transfers have to get approval from the prospective District comittees or only if the student plans on playing sports?
SportsFan96
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by SportsFan96 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:So the original topic here was to allege recruiting against Juniata Valley, right?  There's a topic on the wrestling forum that says Chestnut Ridge is holding a youth wrestling camp.  Do we think that is for recruiting?
This made me giggle...Im going to go out on a limb and say that this post is a little tongue in cheek considering the subject topic.