War Memorial Holiday Shootout- Boys

Hardwood chatter
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: War Memorial Holiday Shootout- Boys

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

The second I heard the price of admission I knew this post was coming, if I took it to Vegas I'd be rich.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Why, because $10 is ridiculous for low level HS basketball?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Here's the thing: I think it's a good thing the War Memorial is being used for basketball. It's a good event, and it's cool for kids to play there and it's cool to go see games there.  It's year one, so it can evolve over time.

The other thing with the War Memorial, it's cheaper for the arena to sit vacant than to be converted to a basketball arena, so yea they are going to up the cost a bit, that's just how it was always going to work.  If $10 is too steep, then this event just won't happen in the future. They either need a bigger corporate sponsor to lower ticket prices, or bring in a few better teams - which I do think is the plan in the future.

I think the event has good potential, and I think they can tweak some things moving forward. But for year one, I think it's going well.

Of course, they could just make it $10 for the double header, and lower it to $5 or $6 if the first game is already over, that could be a quick fix as well. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Like don’t get me wrong, I think $10 is a lot for one singular HS basketball game, but for a double header it’s fair.  You could probably get into a Saint Francis game cheaper. But I just get discouraged when people are trying to things in this town, and people are quick to complain about it and that’s why we never have anything to do here.   But that’s just me, I try to see the positive side of things but I know not everyone is that way. 
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

I'd like to see things like a good high school bball tourney or the PSAC baseball tourney do well as well, but am discouraged when I see the parents gouged and the casual fan turned-off by over-pricing. Whether it is the city gouging the organizer or the organizer trying to make a buck, it sucks.
Jimjohn81
Senior
Senior

Post by Jimjohn81 »

I watched rasheed Wallace play for Simon gratz years ago in a tournament there. He was the number one high school player in the country. I also watched Steve tannyhill from altoona, who ended up as south carolinas QB play against a very good johnstown team. What great history. I'm glad to see basketball back. Like Jim said, it was year one. They will make changes and figure it out.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Some people just can't take constructive criticism for what it is.  They immediately feel threatened and go on the offensive.  WHY couldn't they have tickets for individual games?  I agree $10 for a 2 game block isn't that bad, but for fans who only come to the second of 2 games, why the gouge?  What if you care less about the other game?  The ambience, the facility, great.  The format, ehhh needs more work.  Especially when the media tries to oversell the history by putting on a lesser event than what it was.
Last edited by Manfred on December 28th, 2018, 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
It ain't over until it's over.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Wrasslerfan wrote:
Manfred wrote:
GoDragons wrote:Was once a great tournament with the likes of Ben Franklin, Dunbar, Carlisle, DeMatha Catholic.....
Any comparison with the tournaments of the past are in name only.  $10 to get in, even for 1 game.  And security like the County Courthouse.  Life as we now know it.
Your point is?
Stating the obvious for someone who might be interested in attending.
It ain't over until it's over.
Allmarine21
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Allmarine21 »

I believe the schools were given 200 tickets each to sell at $5.00 a ticket and the money was kept by the schools for their programs. If so, then the War Memorial staff took care of the parents, families and fans of the respective schools.
Allmarine21
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Allmarine21 »

I believe the schools were given 200 tickets each to sell at $5.00 a ticket and the money was kept by the schools for their programs. If so, then the War Memorial staff took care of the parents, families and fans of the respective schools.