Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Christmas Tournaments

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Westmont 75
Ferndale 52

Johnstown 67
Bishop McCort 44

Didn't see the Westmont game, but Johnstown is pretty good. They won't lose many games this year. They aren't the best Johnstown team I've ever seen, but they are one of the more athletic easily.
bigtube
Freshman
Freshman

Post by bigtube »

Westmont Girls beat Windber in the North Star tourney.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

WestPAC Boys
North Star over Mount Pleasant 85-49
Shanksville over United 51-42
Shade over Everett 67-53
Somerset over Windber 55-43
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

BG beat Connellsville last night. If they can get through Altoona tonight they'll be 9-0 next Friday heading to play 6-0 Johnstown.
sportsfan1000
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by sportsfan1000 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Westmont 75
Ferndale 52

Johnstown 67
Bishop McCort 44

Didn't see the Westmont game, but Johnstown is pretty good. They won't lose many games this year. They aren't the best Johnstown team I've ever seen, but they are one of the more athletic easily.
I'm curious as to which Johnstown team you saw you would rank as your best. The state runner up team is an obvious choice I assume. They had no depth though. The team with Alkwan Williams was nice but they vastly underachieved in my opinion.   In the early 90's they had a really nice team with Frank Tomera, Geroy Simon, Mario Hardison ect but lost a tough game 66-62 to Penn Hills in 4A state bracket.
I saw the game last night and the 6'7 kid is going to be a problem for any team that can't match that.  I thought they had some nice depth and were very athletic.  Time will tell. Getting bumped up to 5A won't help. Just getting out of the district will be rough with a potential matchup with Hollidaysburg.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Yea, I think the Alkwan Williams, Dwight Andrews, Q Brandon, Mark Watson, Isaiah Hasselrig, and Phil Madison teams were really good.  Obviously they're run was cut short because Brandon finished at Westmont and Watson ended up at Altoona. If they were at full-strength as seniors, I think they would've had a real nice team that year.  

The state title team was good too, and I think Hoffman would've had his way with the Jones.  He was more physical and polished.  But Jones is still good. 

I think from a size and athleticism standpoint they're outstanding, but I think if they had a PG like Xavier Thomas or Phil Madison or Imil Britt ect.  that would set them over the top. 

My concern with Johnstown is that they won't be challenged enough around here, and that won't help them come playoff time. 
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

Best Johnstown team ever was undoubtedly in my mind the 1973 team.  Won the prestigous War Memorial Tournament, undefeated regular season and shocking upset to Sharon enroute to what many thought would be a state championship.   6'6" Don Maser (Duquesne), 6'9" Pat Cummings (Cincinnati and NBA career), Jack Buchan (Indiana U.-football), and Kenny Horoho (St. Francis) were some of the stars of that Paul Litwalk coached team.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

That’s a little before my time but anytime someone talks Johnstown basketball. That’s the team they bring up first. 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Head Roadie wrote:Best Johnstown team ever was undoubtedly in my mind the 1973 team.  Won the prestigous War Memorial Tournament, undefeated regular season and shocking upset to Sharon enroute to what many thought would be a state championship.   6'6" Jack Buchan (Duquesne), 6'9" Pat Cummings (Cincinnati and NBA career), Jack Buchan (Indiana U.-football), and Kenny Horoho (St. Francis) were some of the stars of that Paul Litwalk coached team.
Edit:  6'5" Don Maser (Duquesne)
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

Thank you Knowitall, you are correct I will attempt to edit.