Contenders for Basketball.

Hardwood chatter
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Contenders for Basketball.

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Now that we have a month-long sample size, who are the top teams in each classification?

District 6 AAAAA

Johnstown looks very good through five games.  Jones (6-7), Chatman (6-4), Gause (6-4), Frankin (6-2), and Simon (6-2) is a very athletic, and tough lineup to go against length wise.  They get a lot of steals and layups.  I think Hollidaysburg is the main competitor, but the Golden Tigers losing to Bellwood is somewhat concerning.  So perhaps it's Bellefonte that could give the Trojans the most trouble. 

District 6 AAAA

Huntingdon is out to an 8-0 start and I don't see that team losing many games this season. Nick Rigby is having another great year.  Central played Huntongdon very tough, and could get them on the right night.  Tyrone is solid as well, but did lose by 21 to Huntingdon. I think Bedford has some talent, not sure if they are ready to compete for a title. 

District 6 AAA

I think Ligonier is the front runner. Paola and Marinchak is as good of a 1-2 punch in the district.  Richland is out to a 5-2 start and they still have Burke and Instone, which is pretty formidable as well.  Forest Hills is the team I think can challenge as well.  When their guards hit shots, they are dangerous. 

District 6 AA

I think this is Bishop Guilfoyle all the way. They started 7-1 and Ruggery isn't even healthy yet. If he gets back to full-strength, I'm not sure anyone will touch them.  Seems like United, Purchase Line, and McCort should be in the mix as well but certainly a step below BG. 

District 6 A

After reaching the Western Final last season, Bishop Carroll should be the favorite.  Saint Joe's did beat the Huskies, so I'd say they are more than formidable as well. I still trust BC a bit more. Juniata Valley is very dangerous with Collins and Blacklick has some nice players also.

District 5 AA

North Star seems to be the team to beat. The transfer of Noah Pyles really seemed to put this team over the top.  Conemaugh Township is dangerous though.  The teams are set to play on January 8th.

District 5 A

Shade and Shanksville play Friday, it'll be the first of a few meeting this season. 
FunFacts
Junior
Junior

Re: Contenders for Basketball.

Post by FunFacts »

Very nice and accurate predictions.  I’d be really surprised if anyone outside of a 1 or 2 seed won each of the classifications. Extremely top heavy this year.  
EaglealumsGhost
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EaglealumsGhost »

Is it still only 1 out of 4A to big dance?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Johnstown and Huntington both made it last year in 4A. Huntington made a big run I believe, and Johnstown made it to the round of 16. 
costanza
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by costanza »

Crimson, do you happen to know how many teams qualify for D-6 playoffs for each class?
FunFacts
Junior
Junior

Post by FunFacts »

I know football is 66% of the teams make it and that’s from the PIAA.  I don’t know if basketball is the same or not. 
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

Try this link. I think it shows the number of teams and brackets.

http://www.piaa.org/assets/web/document ... l_Boys.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
costanza
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by costanza »

I guess what I meant was how many will qualify for the district playoffs. 
EaglealumsGhost
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EaglealumsGhost »

That’s what I thought. With only 5 teams only 1 advances this year
SFB14
Senior
Senior

Post by SFB14 »

I know it's still early but there doesn't seem to be a lot of intrigue on the Boys side in District 6 as far as the playoff favorites are concerned. Perhaps in Single A and Triple A, otherwise there are clear-cut, heavy favorites in all the other classes. Doesn't mean there can't be upsets, but barring injuries there are going to be heavy favorites in 4 or possible 5 of the 6 classes:

Single A- To me it comes down to BC. JV, & St. Joes. I know St Joes has a win over BC but I would still make the Huskies a big time favorite. They'll get better playing an LHAC schedule, have a ton of experience back, and will play this time on a neutral floor. Here is hoping Coach Aliquo is back at the helm when the playoffs roll around.

Double A- BG has to be the heavy favorite here. They are currently 8-1 and Luke Ruggery has only played in parts of 3 games. If he works his way back to being anything close to 100% that is only going to make them better. They also play a very tough schedule including a couple of 6A teams out of conference. Last night they beat BM handily and I just don't see the Heritage (Purchase Line/United)teams being able to stand up to the Marauders.

Triple A- LV is the defending champ and has a very tough 1-2 punch to deal with. To me the main contender appears to be Richland, who also has a terrific 2 of their own. The Rams are rounding in to form after a long football season, but unseating LV will be difficult. I don't see anyone else rivaling these 2 teams barring a very big upset. The wild card in this class is Forest Hills, who no one is going to want to see in the early rounds of the playoffs

4A- Huntingdon is undefeated and I don't see a serious challenger to them in this classification. Tyrone is talented, but young, and Central has exceeded expectations, but the Bearcats have already beaten them both.

5A- Johnstown is clearly the class of this class. They are undefeated and with Hollidaysburg struggling, I believe the Trojans will cruise to the title. Bellefonte has improved as a program but they don't figure to give the talented Trojans to much of a problem.

6A- As it has been for a while, it appears that State College will win the largest classification in District 6 going away. Altoona has talent and a very good player in Charles but given their respective records (and SC's win over Altoona already) I don't see the Little Lions getting upset.