Thursday Scoreboard 2-28-19

Hardwood chatter
BasketballFan12345
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Thursday Scoreboard 2-28-19

Post by BasketballFan12345 »

Didn’t know we switched the topic to their girls team, but if you want me to rattle off some public schools that got transfers that benefitted their schools athletics I can lol
sportsfan1072
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by sportsfan1072 »

Since BC was brought up, the BC boys could make a nice run in states, especially if their point guard comes back healthy from his injury last game.  I know many of the BC boys live in the area (CC and CH school districts) as I have coached them in other sports when they were younger.  A couple of the kids I do not know.  Now, BG has such large (Altoona and Hollidaysburg) school districts adjacent where they get many students from.  But BC really doesn't have a large school district very close, do any of their players travel far or are they from adjacent school districts?  Boys or girls for that matter?
Coachcal
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Coachcal »

BC has players from 8 different school districts on their Varsity Boys Basketball Team
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Coachcal wrote:BC has players from 8 different school districts on their Varsity Boys Basketball Team
Whilst is fine, but not equal to that of the public school natural selection par for the course. Therefore, I must favor separation of those parties that do not have, nor follow, equal guidelines.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

BasketballFan12345 wrote:Didn’t know we switched the topic to their girls team, but if you want me to rattle off some public schools that got transfers that benefitted their schools athletics I can lol
Does it matter? So BG has female athletes transferring there but not male athletes?
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

BasketballFan12345 wrote:Thank you Crimson. I’m not saying private schools shouldn’t be separate from public schools, but to immediately start blaming a loss on another team “recruiting” or just because they are a “charter” school is completely bogus. Unless you can state facts and point out to me that a player that significantly helps the team is from another area, I could care less about the discussion
I mean heck, didn’t Max Sankey transfer for his senior season? I’d say a 6’2 215lb running back would make any 1A football team better. 
BasketballFan12345
Freshman
Freshman

you’re not a good reader at all. Or maybe you just forget some things or just how I said I’m not going to try and defend BGs football team because I know they have gotten people outside of the area. It’s like the 33rd post on this thread if you’d like to reread it. But still, even with Sankey, didnt BG lose to a public school in the D6 Final???
FunFacts
Junior
Junior

Post by FunFacts »

No one wants a participation trophy for everyone. I believe public schools just want a fair fight or for people to atleast acknowledge that most years it isn’t and here is why in my opinion. 

Either you are born a good athlete or not.  Now good training and coaching can make a good athlete a great athlete. Let’s take BG for example since they have been the main team we have talked about.  As I have stated before Drenning does a great job with those kids doing that and they have a number of great athletes. I have no idea where those kids are from but unless they are all from the Altoona school district it gives them an advantage even if they started there in 1st grade. Let’s say 4 are from Altoona and 4 are from Hollidaysburg.  Now they have athletes from multiple schools which other schools have no chance of because there boundaries are locked.     Thus it isn’t a fair fight.  

A private schools best will always be better than public schools almost every year.  BG showed that this year winning by an average of more than 50 points per game in the playoffs. This is their best year so no one was close.  You can say AA was down but no team in the last 10 years would have kept it to single digits let alone beat them.   Next year if they lose in the 1st round or in the finals(they won’t they are loaded again next year) doesn’t change the fact that because of their advantages no one else had even the slightest chance to win districts this year.  To me that is frustrating for the kids because most probably busted their butts for a shot at winning a title but like I said they never stood a chance.   
BasketballFan12345
Freshman
Freshman

Valid points. You can say “let’s say some people are from here or from here.” The fact is, basically all of those basketball kids grow up within 5 miles of the school which can be stretch out to a big portion of altoona but with what you guys are saying. You guys might as well say you want BG to completely close or just pack up and move their school to some remote area. Now for your second point. You really think the Davis brother lead Bellwood team, the loaded west branch team 2 years ago, the old Penns Valley Team with Montminney or however you spell his name, the penn Cambria teams from around 6 years ago couldn’t compete with this BG team!? Heck the BG team with Rickens, McCloskey and then could very well compete with this years team and maybe even beat them. AA was way down this year, we’re not “just saying” that. When have you ever seen a team in a district final that has only one kid that can actually dribble with both hands
SFB14
Senior
Senior

Post by SFB14 »

You, me or anyone else, are never going to solve the Public vs. Private debate. I'm sure this post will be met with a few or several rebuttals and that's expected. My wife and I graduated from public schools and sent our children to BG for reasons that were uniquely our own. One played sports, one played none at all. So I hopefully can look at this from both points of view. One of the problems I've always had with this argument is that when I went to school me and all my classmates/teammates grew up within 10 miles or so of the school. What it seems like the argument is to me is that maybe BG or any private school should just close their doors. After all, they are drawing from the Altoona/H'burg Districts. Well my question has always been where is BG's district? 1 mile form the school? 2? 5? 10? Where is the cutoff?  I don't care how many people are in the district, they are only getting 80 or so a year. If they get transfers in to the high school that weren't in their program before their high school years, then go ahead and move them up a class or two or whatever is deemed fair, I'd support that completely.

However, when you have kids who have grown up in the system and have been developed within the program, why do these kids have to be questioned based on where they go to school? I'm not saying other teams don't work hard, they do. But anytime a private school has success it seems the work their kids have done, and they way they've been developed throughout the years is immediately dismissed ("our kids work hard to"- no kidding- but maybe someone has put a better system in place- despite where they go to school). I recently read the BG basketball twitter feed and there was a couple posts on there about all the things they've done to prepare for the playoffs. This team has apparently played in leagues in Pittsburgh and played basically all over the state to get themselves better throughout the off-season. They play in the LHAC and scrimmage way above the AA level so if they've done all this, I'm supposed to discredit their players and coaches because a team they played in the district final clearly hasn't done those things.

I was embarrassed for West Branch. They couldn't dribble the ball and the fact that their coach immediately started making excuses to me is embarrassing. Did Juniata Valley make those excuses? In football or basketball? Did West Branch when they beat McCort? The West Branch coach got undressed, plain and simple. It had nothing to do with Public/Private ("that's private school talent"-what a joke, like they are inherently more talented because of where they go to school). I don't coach but if I did I'd sure as hell never let my players make that excuse. You have to play who is in front of you. If they change the rules, so be it. But if these are the rules now, then we have to figure out a way to win within them. If you aren't willing to do what other teams are, private or public, them quit hiding behind a system that has nothing to do with your failures. If and when you do what others are willing to do to be successful, and the system prevents you to be able to do so, then I will gladly join your crusade. In the meantime, roll up your sleeves and get to work.