Thursday Scoreboard 2-28-19

Hardwood chatter
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Thursday Scoreboard 2-28-19

Post by 12HankQB »

upnorth wrote:All a school district boundary defines is essentially local tax rates.  All 500 school districts in the state have open boundaries concerning enrollment.  All you have to do is pay tuition.  Don't like Greater Johnstown and would like to attend Richland or Westmont?  Go for it.  And since GJ is classified by PDE as a "low achieving" school (as is Williamsburg) you can even get receive a scholarship to offset some or all of the tuition.

For the record, I have no problem with separate playoffs, but be careful what you wish for.  The cost of post-season play will rise significantly and will be passed along to all PIAA members.  We will need three separate district/state playoffs: public boundary, public non-boundary and finally private.
A district decides where 99% of your students come from, not just taxes. Rarely to you pay to go to another public school when you can just pay to go to a private school. Once again, the percentage of this occurring is very low so it doesn't alleviate the entire argument. 
There should be public boundary and then everyone else. As the Colonel says, I'd just be happy with them playing up, but this doesn't help with cases like KC who could play the entire way up and still not have much competition.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Hoopfan
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Hoopfan »

Colonel,
coach Haigh’s BG daughter plays AAU in New Jersey and his older daughter played for a team out of DC so not sure how that factored into their choice of schools but don’t let facts get in the way of your insightful posts
sportsfan1072
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by sportsfan1072 »

Since it was brought up that public schools really don't have boundaries - and I have gotten this comment from other private school supporters in the past - I have a question .  I attended a high school (quite a long time ago) at a district adjacent to the one BC is in.  At that time students who attended BC could either ride the bus or drive to the local public high school, then they would all be bussed up to BC.  Do they still do this, or does each student need to find their own way?
FunFacts
Junior
Junior

Post by FunFacts »

Public schools are responsible to bus the students to whatever school they choose. So it a student lived in State College and wanted to attend Bishop McCort, State College would be responsible to get them there. Yes, it sounds crazy but it is true.
upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by upnorth »

FunFacts wrote:Public schools are responsible to bus the students to whatever school they choose. So it a student lived in State College and wanted to attend Bishop McCort, State College would be responsible to get them there. Yes, it sounds crazy but it is true.
That is not true. The private/charter school in question must be within 10 miles of the school district's boundary by the nearest highway for the local school district to provide transportation. There usually a little negotiation if it is a little over 10 miles.
upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by upnorth »

12HankQB wrote:
upnorth wrote:All a school district boundary defines is essentially local tax rates.  All 500 school districts in the state have open boundaries concerning enrollment.  All you have to do is pay tuition.  Don't like Greater Johnstown and would like to attend Richland or Westmont?  Go for it.  And since GJ is classified by PDE as a "low achieving" school (as is Williamsburg) you can even get receive a scholarship to offset some or all of the tuition.

For the record, I have no problem with separate playoffs, but be careful what you wish for.  The cost of post-season play will rise significantly and will be passed along to all PIAA members.  We will need three separate district/state playoffs: public boundary, public non-boundary and finally private.
A district decides where 99% of your students come from, not just taxes. Rarely to you pay to go to another public school when you can just pay to go to a private school. Once again, the percentage of this occurring is very low so it doesn't alleviate the entire argument. 
There should be public boundary and then everyone else. As the Colonel says, I'd just be happy with them playing up, but this doesn't help with cases like KC who could play the entire way up and still not have much competition.
One could make a reasonable argument that non-boundary public and private should also be split between "tuition paid by the originating school district" and "tuition paid by the parent/guardian" as that continues to be a noticeable discriminator, especially in urban areas.

Even after the split, you'll still have issues with some boundary schools that attract AAU all-stars from outside their borders such as we have seen in D6. My original point remains that a student can attend any school in the state (with the exception of some "magnet" schools) boundaries notwithstanding.

Finally, I think KC could play up to NCAA D3. They would be competitive! Good luck to all D5 & D6 teams this week. There are some great matchups.
sportsfan1072
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by sportsfan1072 »

Upnorth, so if a kid from Blacklick Valley wanted to attend Bishop Carroll (about 3.5 miles from BC to BV school district), they would be provided transportation from the BV School to BC, but if the same kid wanted to go to an adjacent public school, say Central Cambria, they have to provide their own transportation?  
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

upnorth wrote:
12HankQB wrote:

One could make a reasonable argument that non-boundary public and private should also be split between "tuition paid by the originating school district" and "tuition paid by the parent/guardian" as that continues to be a noticeable discriminator, especially in urban areas.

Even after the split, you'll still have issues with some boundary schools that attract AAU all-stars from outside their borders such as we have seen in D6.  My original point remains that a student can attend any school in the state (with the exception of some "magnet" schools) boundaries notwithstanding.

Finally, I think KC could play up to NCAA D3.  They would be competitive!  Good luck to all D5 & D6 teams this week.  There are some great matchups.
Yes, i agree you'll still have the AAU issue, which i hate more than anything, but it sticks out like a sore thumb when it happens and should be dealt with. What I love most is Campbell sticking with Bellwood and winning a championship and chasing another. That's what I prefer to root for.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by upnorth »

sportsfan1072 wrote:Upnorth, so if a kid from Blacklick Valley wanted to attend Bishop Carroll (about 3.5 miles from BC to BV school district), they would be provided transportation from the BV School to BC, but if the same kid wanted to go to an adjacent public school, say Central Cambria, they have to provide their own transportation?  
No, if it's adjacent, transportation must be provided by the district in which the student resides. If it is non-adjacent (say Cambria Heights) then transportation would only be provided if the Cambria Heights high school building were within 10 miles of BV's district boundary via a highway.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Hoopfan wrote:Colonel,
coach Haigh’s BG daughter plays AAU in New Jersey and his older daughter played for a team out of DC so not sure how that factored into their choice of schools but don’t let facts get in the way of your insightful posts
I got that information from an interview with the coach in the Tribune a year or two ago. Maybe that has changed since then, oh great insightful one.

Isn't the bigger issue that sisters are playing at different schools, obviously for basketball reasons, and not the Catholic school education.