State Championship Thread

Hardwood chatter
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: State Championship Thread

Post by Aiks19 »

Are Charters considered private or public? It’s my understanding they have no boundaries ( like private) but are publicly funded and have no tuition. Am I correct ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I think some charters are like that, like Lincoln Park, but I think some of these Philadelphia ones are just city wide charters, though I could be wrong.

Seems weird they would include these kind of schools on the Philadelphia Public website if they aren't Philadelphia Public schools.
upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by upnorth »

Aiks19 wrote:Are Charters considered private or public? It’s my understanding they have no boundaries ( like private) but are publicly funded and have no tuition. Am I correct ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All charter schools are pubic schools as are magnet schools, although magnet schools sometimes partner with private institutions.  Generally speaking, charter schools have their own governance structure although they work closely with the school district administration.  Magnet schools almost always are governed by the school district administration.  Both are publicly funded.

Many rural charter schools accept students from anywhere, but those in urban areas tend to be restricted to the parent school district (e.g. The School District of Philadelphia), but there are exceptions (e.g. Lincoln Park).  A family does not pay tuition to attend a charter school, but if the student resides in a different school district, the "home" district must pay the tuition based on district averages.

Cyber charters are a different beast altogether.  They don't get a lot attention since they do not field athletic teams, but many/most have a poor academic track record and siphon off a significant amount of tuition money from the student's home school district.  That has led some districts to create their own cyber presence (e.g. Bellefonte).  Legislation has recently been introduced in Harrisburg to force parents to pay all tuition costs associated with cyber charter schools if their home district has its own cyber charter and the student attends a different cyber charter.  I'd expect years of lawsuits should it pass and become law.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Will anyone be in Hershey today?

Watch LIVE our Lady Mountaineers at the State Playoffs

Watch LIVE on cable (find PCN: pcntv.com/channels), or the PCN Select Streaming Service on any Fire TV, Roku, and mobile device.

The game will be broadcast on Cool 101.7 FM, 93.3 FM and www.blackdiamondsports.net.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Has everyone seen the video of the blatant flagrant foul committed by West Middlesex’s #31? How was that not a T and an ejection?
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

knowitall wrote:Has everyone seen the video of the blatant flagrant foul committed by West Middlesex’s #31?  How was that not a T and an ejection?
Where can we find it???
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Awdhaemel
Senior
Senior

Post by Awdhaemel »

TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

Im sure she doesn't even mind that, gold medals take away the pain. 
That was pretty obvious though
-BIRDS OF PREY-
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

If that happens in the hallway of your local public school, the resource officer is called and a hearing will decided whether the offender is suspended three, five, or ten days.  There is no excuse for this behavior on the hardwood and this thug should be properly disciplined by her principal.
CRSD83
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by CRSD83 »

Congratulations to Berlin Girls - Class 1A State Champs, 41-32 over Lourdes Regional.