Individual or Team Record

Hardwood chatter
Rumorman78
Freshman
Freshman

Individual or Team Record

Post by Rumorman78 »

A close friend, has a grandchild who plays for a local High School Basketball team. I won't mention the team or the gender of the player involved in this situation. At the end of this past regular season ,there were 3 remaining games left to play. The team was on the bubble,and needed to win 2 0f the 3 remaining games to qualify for the District Playoffs. This team had already beaten 2 0f the 3 remaining teams earlier in Jan., by large margins. One member of the team needed less than 50 points to reach the 1000 pts. for their career.The benefit for the player was the recognition, and also having their name put on a banner in the gym , which displayed a list of others you had reached that goal. My friend whose grandchild plays on this team, and attends all their games, was very upset with what follows. According to his grandchild, the coach informed the team that during the remaining games they were not to shoot , even if they had any open shot, but to feed the player, so that the player would reach the 1000 pt. goal. The player got the 1000 pts. during the third and final game . My friend and others are upset, because only 2 player were scoring , one being the player who needed the pts.. The team lost 2 of the last 3 game. and the team missed the playoffs'. What do you think. was the record more important, or was the team making the playoffs more important?
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Individual or Team Record

Post by Wrasslerfan »

if it was a winning season id go with the team record if it was a losing record id go indv
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

You have to be pretty bad to miss the playoffs these days.

You just saved the taxpayers in your district the cost of another bus trip by not making the playoffs. You also saved the parents some gas money and the bloated price of a playoff ticket that can now be used to purchase a prom dress or rent a tux.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

knowitall wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 9:19 am You have to be pretty bad to miss the playoffs these days.

You just saved the taxpayers in your district the cost of another bus trip by not making the playoffs. You also saved the parents some gas money and the bloated price of a playoff ticket that can now be used to purchase a prom dress or rent a tux.
It's a team sport. Anything else is the cream rises to the top. There are coaches who recruit for their colleges that do not look at points scored. For example are they a pass first, shoot last player? are they smooth on their feet, do they play defense? Many teams are defense first, as the press will dictate their offense. Thats the kind of team I like to watch, not a fusillade of 3's all the time.
It ain't over until it's over.
Slippery95
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Slippery95 »

Bad Coaching if you ask me........This player needed less than 50 points to reach a 1000. The player had 4 games (3 regular season and at least one playoff) to do this. If a 1000 point scorer can not score 50 points over the course of 4 games than I would think their name really doesn't deserve to be in the rafters with all of the others.

Additionally, if the player was any sort of teammate, the players would gladly feed them the ball during the 4th quarter of a lopsided game in order to secure that record. This happens all of the time.

A coach instructing a team to do this sends a poor message and did way more harm than good.

The coach should not be fired for this decision but it was certainly a mis-step on his part.