Hardwood chatter
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Shot Clock In H.S. Basketball Yes or No

Post by Wrasslerfan »

Manfred wrote: March 25th, 2022, 8:28 am
GoldenRamsFAN wrote: March 24th, 2022, 6:06 pm
Manfred wrote: March 24th, 2022, 5:57 pm So you're saying a superintendant for a double handful of schools should be paid more than POTUS? Ri-dam-diculous.
Lol there are a lot of people that get paid more then him. There is a lot of ppl in our area that make more then our president does. Can’t get mad at people that are more successful then others. I’m sure you’re ok with all the pro athletes getting millions a year for playing a game? Or how about a college kid signing an NIL deal for a couple million, before they even take a snap, or put up a shot, throws their first pitch?
I don't give a flying fig about ANY pro athlete, any sport. My interests are the amateur athlete in HS or college who at the present are playing to become better at their sport . They are all games. No athlete is worth more than 1 Mil for playing a game.
Here we go with the ole no athlete deserves a million playing a game nonsense from manfred
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I always counter that argument with "I agree I think the owners should get all the money"

The money is going to come in for sports...It can go to either the owner or the athlete. I would rather the person that is actually entertaining me and putting their body on the line get the money.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

One of the greatest cons I've ever seen is billionaire owners making athletes out to be the greedy ones.
GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by GoldenRamsFAN »

On one hand, the owners are successful at owning and running businesses. They will continue to make their money. Most athletes are good at one thing, playing their one sport. Most don’t have anything to fall back on after sports, and without sports most athletes would likely end up in jail, or worse dead. At the end of the day, sports is a business and always will be treated that way. To make the owners the most money possible. Next time you walk into a restaurant, ask the owner if they spilt their profits evenly among all the workers.

These owners were multi millionaires or billionaires before they bought into the league.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

"and without sports most athletes would likely end up in jail, or worse dead"

Were baseball players dropping left and right during the strike?
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

GoldenRamsFAN wrote: April 5th, 2022, 4:35 pm On one hand, the owners are successful at owning and running businesses. They will continue to make their money. Most athletes are good at one thing, playing their one sport. Most don’t have anything to fall back on after sports, and without sports most athletes would likely end up in jail, or worse dead. At the end of the day, sports is a business and always will be treated that way. To make the owners the most money possible. Next time you walk into a restaurant, ask the owner if they spilt their profits evenly among all the workers.

These owners were multi millionaires or billionaires before they bought into the league.
Most American pro sports leagues do not operate by typical corporate procedures. They are exempt from certain laws, such as anti-trust statutes, are able to draft their most valuable workers, and get loads of public funding to build their stadiums and infrastructures. They also participate in forms of profit-sharing between franchises and are overseen by a private entity who the owners appoint themselves. Most owners became wealthy through other businesses and sports are a status persuit for them. Most are criminally incompetent at knowing how to run a successful franchise alone.
Last edited by OutOfTheLoop on April 5th, 2022, 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

Wrasslerfan wrote: April 1st, 2022, 11:25 pm
Manfred wrote: March 25th, 2022, 8:28 am
GoldenRamsFAN wrote: March 24th, 2022, 6:06 pm

Lol there are a lot of people that get paid more then him. There is a lot of ppl in our area that make more then our president does. Can’t get mad at people that are more successful then others. I’m sure you’re ok with all the pro athletes getting millions a year for playing a game? Or how about a college kid signing an NIL deal for a couple million, before they even take a snap, or put up a shot, throws their first pitch?
I don't give a flying fig about ANY pro athlete, any sport. My interests are the amateur athlete in HS or college who at the present are playing to become better at their sport . They are all games. No athlete is worth more than 1 Mil for playing a game.
Here we go with the ole no athlete deserves a million playing a game nonsense from manfred
Good luck with getting a staight answer based in reality from Manfred. He just wants to yell at kids on his lawn rather than provide an actual better economic plan for pro sports.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: April 5th, 2022, 5:42 pm "and without sports most athletes would likely end up in jail, or worse dead"

Were baseball players dropping left and right during the strike?
2nd Your take here crimson. Reading that comment I can't help but think its underlying racist too. Like why assume athletes would end up in jail or dead? How many NCAA athletes turn their scholarships into decent jobs
GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by GoldenRamsFAN »

Nothing racist about a statement when it’s true. There was just a stat out yesterday about the nfl teams and arrests since 2000. The highest team had 55 and the lowest had 15….so yea likely in jail or dead. And you always here about baseball players going south and getting into trouble. I love how fast the racist card is thrown around now, just because our views are different doesn’t make me a racist.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I think you are doing the opposite of proving your point. A NFL roster is 53 players and another 10 on the practice squad. Now add in another dozen players that are on IR and do not count towards the 63. That is 75 players per roster. Over a 22 year time period that is 1,650 rostered players. The WORST team in the league had 3.3% of those players arrested. The best team in the league had less than 1% of those players arrested.

1 in every 3 Americans have a criminal record. 49% of African American males are arrested by the age of 23. Majority of NFL is African American males.

I think you might want to re-think your stance on this one. It's actually INCREDIBLE how few arrests of NFL players there are.

Where does this assumption that NFL players can only play sports come from? Do you understand the complexity of the job that they do? NFL players have some of the sharpest minds in the world. Not only can they process exactly what they need to do on each play, they do so at a speed that most people couldn't even comprehend.

In fact, the NFL is the top organization in the world when it comes to percentage of employees with a college diploma (46%) and high school diploma (100%).

One of the worst takes I have ever seen on here.