Shot Clock In H.S. Basketball Yes or No

Hardwood chatter
Rumorman78
Freshman
Freshman

Shot Clock In H.S. Basketball Yes or No

Post by Rumorman78 »

Since H.S. basketball season is almost over, I was wondering how forum members feel about a shot clock. I will play devil's advocate and take the argument for being against a shot clock. 1. Cost: 2 to 5 thousand dollars to mount clock above backboard, very expensive for small schools on a tight budget. 2: Shot clock operator, large expense when you consider an operator would be needed for varsity, jv, junior high and all boys and girls games. Also must be a very qualified person due to when to reset clock etc. 3:Coaching Strategy . Clock prevents coaches from controlling game tempo, by doing this teams with less talent can pull upsets. Also, more teams will play zones, where without clock, teams will use their man to man to apply pressure.4: Fundamentals. Teams will be forced to play fast, and fundamentals like good defense etc. will be eroded Shot clock yes or no?
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Shot Clock In H.S. Basketball Yes or No

Post by 12HankQB »

It's needed, but like you said how? The gimmicky teams that only shoot layups abuse this terrible. 2017 Berlin vs Ridgeway games was one of the worst games I've ever watched in person. Time of Possession for Ridgeway was ridiculous. If you missed your shot, you didn't get the ball for 5 minutes.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Husker33
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Husker33 »

The cost is going to be less than the clocks that they use in football. Even then people don't have play clocks in all football stadiums, which means it has to be kept on the field. Is this what the PIAA is going to do for basketball if someone doesn't have them? Also do they have to have two of them or just one?

I would like to see them do it in phases. Make next year make shot clock mandatory in big budget schools like 5A - 6A . The following year it becomes mandatory in 3A and 4A and the following year 1A and 2A. This would give the small schools the time to raise the money, although they don't appear to be more than $600 each.

I doubt phasing it in will happen because of many reasons. I do agree that one of the hardest things will be getting someone to run it correctly. If it is implemented, I feel like we will see even less offensive sets run and it will be a three point shooting contest, more than it already is.
“Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.”
-Henry Ford

“Gentleman, this is a football. Before we’re through, we’re gonna run it down everybody’s throats.”
-Vince Lombardi
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

I see it as an additional cost for schools. Installing them and then paying someone to operator them.

Most games (probably 95% or more) won’t need a shot clock because many teams don’t hold the ball that long. Unfortunately, a few schools play keep away and don’t play the game the way it’s meant to be played.

I see it happening in PA soon to align with the college game. I could see the PIAA passing it as only for varsity and leaving the other levels play without a shot clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Another excuse to jack game-entry prices up.
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Other states have done it. It can be done, and it'll happen eventually.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Idaho doesnt have a shotclock, washington does and I can say the games are so much more fluid/better to watch in Washington because of the shot clock. I also feel players become more well rounded as they are forced to take difficult/contested shots more often.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

It's kind of a shame that this is even being considered for high school. Coaches that stall or hold the ball suck. Let the kids play. Its like the wrestling coach that shuffles his line-up to avoid tough match-ups. Some would rather have the forfeit points than risk seeing their guy lose. Its a shame. What are we teaching the kids?

Maybe just use the shot clock in the playoffs when winning is more important. Then every school wouldn't need to incur the expense. Maybe give the refs authority to call 'stalling' in the regular season when teams aren't trying to score. It sounds stupid, but it's more stupid to see teams holding the ball in the first half of a regular season game.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

So what would be the proposed penalty for a 'called stall'? Award the other team 2 points? A bench tech foul and shoot from the line? Just asking.
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Yea, creating a new rule seems like a stretch. A shot clock sort of just does the job.