2023 Boys State Playoffs

Hardwood chatter
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: 2023 Boys State Playoffs

Post by knowitall »

Hosting playoff games is more of a pain in the **** than the average fan thinks. The host has to be able to staff the venue, is probably expected to provide concessions, clean up the mess left behind, etc. is it really worth it?
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Manfred wrote: March 13th, 2023, 11:15 am
GoldenRamsFAN wrote: March 13th, 2023, 10:38 am
Manfred wrote: March 13th, 2023, 9:41 am For a 6A playoff game? CC? What a flippin' joke!
Easy access being right off 22 for both teams and good parking. Forest Hills has a nice new gym, but no offense it’s a shitty town, with 1 place to eat. Ebensburg offers lots of different places to eat, with a lot less congestion.
I would not offer FH as suitable for a 6A game either, and I somewhat agree about the 1 restaurant. I would offer UPJ, Mt. Aloysius, St. Francis, Hollidaysburg, even the Altoona fieldhouse as suitable big school options.
CC hosted a 6A game a few years ago in the state playoffs, and it was empty, bigger school fan bases don’t seem to travel nearly as much as small local schools.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

It's 70 miles from Pittsburgh Central Catholic to Central Cambria, and it's 67 from State College. That's why the game is where it is. We've been through this before, a lot about hosting playoff games is the willingness to host and location. Central Cambria offers both.

The problem with the state playoffs, especially in the larger classifications, is that you usually have teams from one end of the state playing teams on the other and they meet somewhere in the middle on a weeknight, so places like Central Cambria, Altoona, Chamersburg, and Bald Eagle get used a lot.

It's not that larger schools don't travel well, they just aren't given favorable travel draws because of the structure of the tournament. The 6A game a few years ago was McDowell and Central York, I believe. Not everyone is going to drive from Erie to Ebensburg on a weeknight for a 6:30 game. It just is what it is.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Manfred wrote: March 13th, 2023, 5:11 pm Your last statement might have a hint of truth to it if the casual basketball fan with no skin in the game were able to decide last minute and WALK UP to the ticket booth and buy on-the-spot general admission. Not to have to go through the da## PIAA online service. I might even be interested in that.
I just tried to buy tickets online, it took me roughly the same amount of time to log on to Bleachercoaches.com. It doesn't seem like too big of a hassle.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: March 14th, 2023, 3:34 pm
Manfred wrote: March 13th, 2023, 5:11 pm Your last statement might have a hint of truth to it if the casual basketball fan with no skin in the game were able to decide last minute and WALK UP to the ticket booth and buy on-the-spot general admission. Not to have to go through the da## PIAA online service. I might even be interested in that.
I just tried to buy tickets online, it took me roughly the same amount of time to log on to Bleachercoaches.com. It doesn't seem like too big of a hassle.
It's an age issue, but also don't like not being able to go pay at the gate. I bet they lose more money than was ever lost.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

12HankQB wrote: March 14th, 2023, 4:22 pm
It's an age issue, but also don't like not being able to go pay at the gate. I bet they lose more money than was ever lost.
Thank you. I rest my case. But I will continue to protest against current policies.
It ain't over until it's over.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

12HankQB wrote: March 14th, 2023, 4:22 pm
I doubt it, how much do they charge NFHS?
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Berlin boys win 74-63.
It ain't over until it's over.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: March 14th, 2023, 3:29 pm
It's not that larger schools don't travel well, they just aren't given favorable travel draws because of the structure of the tournament. The 6A game a few years ago was McDowell and Central York, I believe. Not everyone is going to drive from Erie to Ebensburg on a weeknight for a 6:30 game. It just is what it is.
I actually think one of the schools was Altoona, so I was surprised how sparse it was.

Last night's game wasn't too bad, but definitely not a big crowd by any means.

It just seems that smaller schools like Portage and Penn Cambia and Berlin have no problem packing a gym 70 miles away on a week night, but a town that is exponentially larger can't do the same.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

At larger schools you don't have the same sense of community. If your kid only plays baseball at PCC, you probably don't go to the basketball games because you don't know the kids.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths