New foul Shot rule

Hardwood chatter
D-5/6 sports fan
Freshman
Freshman

New foul Shot rule

Post by D-5/6 sports fan »

What's everyone think about the new foul shot rule. You are only aloud to have 6 guys around the key, 7 guys if you count the shooter. 2 offensive guys and 4 defensive.
I think they made it to cut down on injuries when rebounding missed foul shots.
Captain Coveman
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Captain Coveman »

Wow that is really freaking rediculous. Injuries happen, they already changed so that the ball had to hit the front of the rim instead of leave the shooters hand which gave little guys an advantage. Half of the fun was tryin to get as many rebounds you could especially on foul shots because you had to work your butt off for them. What's next? A coin toss to see who starts the game with the ball??? Might as well...
YOUKnow
Freshman
Freshman

Post by YOUKnow »

yea it's pretty gay for girls....but it'll make teams work hard and put every basket in cuz chances of getting the rebound arent to good. It'll be bad at the end of games though im affraid. Next CaptCove....is instead of having the two blocks closest to the foul line vaccant it'll be the lower blocks...that's what the District 5/6 guys are thinkin about for next year. :P i think they need to stop thinking and just give us the ball
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

The rule was invoked to prevent problems associated with the non-shooting team blocking out the free throw shooter, I don't agree with the change but that is the rational for it. As for changing it to the lower blocks being vacant....that won't happen and there is no talk at all of that in D5...even if so, the rules are set by the national federation not local districts or regions. States do have the right to "alter" national federation rules. Example: National federation has a coaches box like in college. Pennsylvania is (I think) the only state that doesn't follow that rule and has the more stingent (and stupid) bench rule for coaches.
Captain Coveman
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

head roadie, what is the rule for the coaches box, i am unfamiliar with it or else maybe never new another way existed
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

It's similar to college Cap'n Cove. The coaches are aloud to be up and moving in front of their bench during play. They cannot cross midcourt and there is also another line (I believe) somewhere in the foul line extended area that they cannot cross (Total length of coaching box is 14 feet). This is used in most if not all of the other states for HS ball. Pennsylvania uses the "seatbelt" or bench rule where coaches must be seated during the game and if they get up they are T'd. A compromise solution was suggested about 3 years ago by the State Athletic Directors Association and State Coaches Association to the PIAA whereby the coaching box would have been used and as soon as it was abused by a coach, they would be given a tech. and at that point they would be relegated to the bench/seatbelt rule. The PIAA rejected this proposal that came from both groups. Any coaches out there know how much easier it is to coach from an "up and moving" coaching box situation as opposed to keeping both butt cheeks on the pine.
Captain Coveman
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Thanks H. Roadie, I never knew any other way and now I do, Now you are gonna have to explain Econ to me, I have to teach it next semester :P
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

Sorry Cap'n...failed that class twice in college. Unless your talking economics of sports wagering...then I may be of help!
southpaw
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by southpaw »

When I coached Bball we played Fort Hill (Md) at Bedford and it was hard for their coach to sit still. One year the ref told me that the (FH) coach was allowed up to move in the box and I replied fine but its gotta work both ways- the ref said no so we both had to sit. Would be kind of neat and easier to get your players attention.
"I'm your huckleberry"
playbookboy06
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by playbookboy06 »

Talking about trying new rules and regulations in basketball, what new rules or twists will the ncaa bball be trying out this year during preseason.
I know in years past they tried out having all jump balls actually be tipped off.

I was wondering if anyone heard anything.
Root, Root, Root for the home team