McCort vs. Westmont

Shoot the half!!!
CrimsonLion
Senior
Senior

Re: McCort vs. Westmont

Post by CrimsonLion »

Westpagrappler wrote:
CrimsonLion wrote:Westmont didn't teach those kids how to wrestle Walters, andrews and Kelly learned from Carlton Hazelrig and Allen Andrew's and others. They then began training with Young Guns and doing the travel circuit.
I'm not saying Westmont taught them nothing but let's not act like they are who they are because of Westmont.
With all due respect, you have no idea what your talking about. I would say a large part of the wrestler some of these guys have developed into was a direct result of direction recvd at Westmont. You don't just jump from 8th in the state to dang near winning a state title then next year by accident. Westmont alumni accolades speak for themselves. I think trying to recruit one of Westmonts coaches speaks volumes as well (can't blame you as they have about 11 PIAA medals amongst them).  You're right, they aren't who they are because of Westmont, but minimizing the role Westmont played is just laughable. 
I'm pretty sure know more than you, I've been around all those kids since they started. Scott Miles taught Anthony Walters along with Toby Christie, then Carlton Haselrig and Allen Andrews and Andre Britt. Walters turned the corner when he started going to Young Guns and started getting into Greco/Freestyle and traveling to national tournaments.
Kelly became good by wrestling with Andrews and again similar path but with Johnstown, and again turned the corner with Young Guns. Andrews the same. Haselrig, Quenteen Robinson, Anthony Andrews, Will Harris,
etc..
Jones was a Westmont kid, but again Young Guns and wrestling Walters
Having a good team, coaches and a tough room always helps everyone get better, but you'd be an idiot to say Beaujon  and his staff made those four what they are. You could say they obviously learned some stuff, but they were studs before they ever stepped foot in that school.
Westmont benefitted from them and they benefitted from the co-op, Adults made the decision to end it. Those boys had zero to do with any of it. That's what folks fail to mention, the kids who actually matter are the ones who become collateral damage.
I don't care how many medals anyone has, to do what he planned is nothing more than pure cowardice nothing more or less. Most schools probably would have fired him for it.
What makes me laugh is people like you had zero problems with McCort when you're capitalizing off their kids and you're beating the brakes off all the other teams in the area, the recruiting debate never came up, nothing mattered. Now their horrible people because they elected to have their own program. :ymapplause:
benchpress
Freshman
Freshman

Post by benchpress »

This attitude in general by adults is so immature. To ridicule, belittle and complain about kids says so much about who we are as a society. Spending life whining about "injustices" instead of working to overcome and be the best are part of today's problems. Life will never be completely fair and teaching our children to wallow in self-pity rather than overcoming obstacles will compound the problem. Trying to win by tricks speaks volumes about a coach's ability to train his athletes to be the better person, on and off the mat.
Topper1986
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Topper1986 »

1) girls can't wrestle against or for BM
2)to downplay the recruitment that goes on at BM for all sports .. And now wrestling is ludicrous. Its happening and its glaring. .. The wrestling program getting kids from United and BEDFORD??? come on
3) as a WH fan its been my pleasure to cheer for those kids ... And I will continue to do so. This has nothing to do with the kids ... I can bet we all agree we will see them at Hershey. This is a protest of what this program can do and has done to area programs if the recruiting issue is not kept in check. If not yg may just want to start a private school ... Walters is a parochial school product ... Other than that ... The rest were grown introduced and nurtured by local schools. There is barely a team in the LHAC that fields a full team. Forfeits in every box score. Area wrestling will die in numerous schools if recruiting practices to go unchecked.
4) WH has a very young but promising team. The fact that its being sold as the only way to a w is not truthful. Its a protest - period.
In any case ... I hope this shines a light on the practice ... Football basketball cheering and now wrestling 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

I know there are a few girls playing hockey.  Can McCort play against teams with girls? 

How many other schools have started wrestling teams in the past five years or so? 
Topper1986
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Topper1986 »

Hockey is not considered a "combat sport". There are certain sports affected by this rule. But the discussion of the misogynist nature of the rule is another discussion.

To my knowlegde, locally I know of no other be local teams .. The trend across the state is to coop. .. The sport is competing with hockey, basketball, year round soccer and the belief by some that they are a d1 football prodigy that must focus on football ... Local schools graduating classes of 100 or less have a heck of a time fielding a full line up ...
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

I wonder how many Lady Rangers hit the mat tonight?
It ain't over until it's over.
CrimsonLion
Senior
Senior

Post by CrimsonLion »

Topper1986 wrote:1) girls can't wrestle against or for BM
2)to downplay the recruitment that goes on at BM for all sports .. And now wrestling is ludicrous. Its happening and its glaring. .. The wrestling program getting kids from United and BEDFORD??? come on
3) as a WH fan its been my pleasure to cheer for those kids ... And I will continue to do so. This has nothing to do with the kids ... I can bet we all agree we will see them at Hershey. This is a protest of what this program can do and has done to area programs if the recruiting issue is not kept in check. If not yg may just want to start a private school ... Walters is a parochial school product ... Other than that ... The rest were grown introduced and nurtured by local schools. There is barely a team in the LHAC that fields a full team. Forfeits in every box score. Area wrestling will die in numerous schools if recruiting practices to go unchecked.
4) WH has a very young but promising team. The fact that its being sold as the only way to a w is not truthful. Its a protest - period.
In any case ... I hope this shines a light on the practice ... Football basketball cheering and now wrestling 
The United wrestlers parents got divorced. The father works in Johnstown and they're living in Geistown. The is no PIAA rule against an 8th grader transferring to a public or private high school. The father has custody, so the kid lives with the father.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

The Catholic church frowns on divorce
CrimsonLion
Senior
Senior

Post by CrimsonLion »

Someone posted the policy on Facebook and I believe it said wrestling. Football and rugby, but exceptions could be made for football and rugby. It seems kind of archaic.
Restoretheroar
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Restoretheroar »

How does the United wrestler's brother still go to united if the dad lives in Geistown and the mother in Blairsville?