Top District 5 teams of all time

Shoot the half!!!
silvrnblk11
Senior
Senior

Top District 5 teams of all time

Post by silvrnblk11 »

Seen a similar topic started on another wrestling website.

Just for fun. Give your top 2 teams all time in District 5.
I would say     #1   2015 Chestnut Ridge &  #2   2018 Chestnut Ridge
EricKnopsnyder
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Top District 5 teams of all time

Post by EricKnopsnyder »

I'd love to see a breakdown of one of those Ridge teams vs. the 1988 Meyersdale team that finished second at the PIAA tournament. They had:
David Warnick, 98-pound state champ
Michael Warnick, 105-pound state third
Jeff Beal, 112-pound state sixth
Mark Phillippi, 126-pound state qualifier
Roger Phillippi, 138-pound state qualifier
I know there were some other pretty good wrestlers on that team (although I was told they didn't win the District 5 title that year because Bedford was also very good (Joel/Jarrod Easter and others) that year.
Weights are obviously different, but I'd still be hard-pressed to take someone over the Warnicks. I'm guessing they'd still be very good at 106 and 113.
odoyelrules
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by odoyelrules »

EKnop you are off a year, that was the 1987 Meyersdale team.

Additionally that 1987 Meyersdale team may deserve an asterisk...At the 1986 NW AA Regional tournament Meyersdale finished 3rd with the freshman/sophomore Warnicks providing all of their team points, they also had a D5 3rd place finisher that I believe was a SR. Kane won the team title, Bedford was 2nd. Rockwood finished tied for 4th, led by Jr. Roger Phillippi's 2nd place finish, Sr. Jeff Phillippi's 3rd place finish, with Freshman Mark Phillippi also contributing. Then in 1987 the Phillippi underclassmen wrestled for Meyersdale...Mark again wrestled for Meyersdale in 1988...then wrestled for Rockwood again in 1989. Odd how things work out sometimes.

1987 Was the first year that D5 went to SW region with District 7.

1988 D5 was memorable on its own though. North Star easily won the team title with 3 champs, 1 2nd, and 3 3rds, but possibly their best wrestler didn't advance to regionals. Bedford matched North Star for champs and had 3 runnerups, but had nobody reach the consy finals. Meyersdale finished 5th, coming after their state runnerup finish, qualifying only 4 for regionals with 1 champ and 1 runnerup.

Undoubtedly the feature weight was 105 lbs., which featured 1) Sr. Dave Warnick, 23-0-1 defending state champ from Meyersdale, 2) Sr. Tim Layton 18-3 of Bedford, a 2 time regional qualifier, 3) So. Mark Miller 20-1 of North Star, 4) FR. Shawn Husick 20-2 of Tussey Mountain 5) Harold Shippy 14-0-1 of Hyndman, and 6) Bruce Matthews 17-4 of Conemaugh Township. A loaded bracket for an 11 school district. The seeds held Friday night, then Saturday morning Husick pulled the stunner, defeating Warnick by major decision. Rumors were plenty that Warnick was way overweight for Saturday morning weighins and barely made weight. The other semifinal match was very entertaining also, though I'm sure most of the Windber gym wasn't watching it. Layton defeated Miller on overtime criteria. Husick went on to defeat Layton in the final, Warnick had a 7-3 win over Mattews in the consi semifinals, then looked like his normal self in winning by fall over Miller in the consolation finals.

In the regional semifinals the following week Warnick avenged his loss to Husick and he went on to defeat Layton for the regional title. Layton went 0-2 at states, Warnick repeated as state champ and Husick finished 4th. In 1989 Husick won a regional title and placed 4th at states again, while Miller went to the new 103 lb. weight class won a regional title and finished 2nd at states. In 1990 Husick was injured during the postseason and did not wrestle @ the state tournament. In 1991 Husick again won a regional title and finished 4th at the state tournament.
EricKnopsnyder
Freshman
Freshman

Post by EricKnopsnyder »

You're absolutely correct, it was 1987. I initially thought it was '88, but looked up the brackets and found it was '87. Apparently I didn't make the change in what I had already typed, though. I remember the Phillippis moving to Meyersdale, but didn't recall them going back to Rockwood.
rspring
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by rspring »

Not sure how they match up weight to weight, but the 2008-09 Bedford team has to be given some consideration in my opinion. Finished fourth at state duals and had six individual state qualifiers. Two medals (Devin Cook and Josh Krupa), but also had Trey Easter and Cory Thomas, who medaled the next year, and regional champ Cody Shippey, and Brian Gibbons, a three-time state qualifier.
Rhulman
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Rhulman »

I would think the 1998? Bedford team would be in running for the top two.  Finished state ranked #1 in Pa.  6 state qualifiers, 2 state runner ups(Zeigler(132), Baker(285)).  Ibarra(119) and Gould(145) 6th I believe.  Had Josh Koontz(189), Devin Holderbaum(106), the little Ibarra(112), Buddy Price(152), Jeff Musselman(126), Travis Horne(160), and Tanner Wagner(171).  All had at least 20 wins.  For the "season" only 2 wrestlers got pinned.   I think this was the year before they started state duals.