New Windber MEGA-sports Complex + a bit of irony

It could be....It might be.....It is!!! A Home Run!
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: New Windber MEGA-sports Complex + a bit of irony

Post by say_oww »

What is your problem pal? What do you have against kids playing ball of their own volition, and parents who enjoy making it happen for them. Did you ever play ball? Coach the sport? Do you have a kid that ever played baseball? Well???

Its funny that I am out of the area for a few months working some camps and when I get back its the same old crew! The way I see it, someone is doing something good for kids and families and you insist on dumping all over it. Its one thing to debate rules, PIAA, privates and publics, and consolidation etc on this board. But this subject is a horse of a different color. I'm glad you mentioned Vuckovich, though - it would be great if a guy like Vuckovich did something like this for the area rather than do NOTHING at all. Whatever...

As far as baseball, and travel, and college recruiting, you obviously don't know what you are talking about. Especially when you claim you have zero knowledge on the subject except for what you claim you saw when you stopped by a 13U tournament late on a Sunday afternoon.

We all can see that what you and several others are doing with your comments is trying to elevate yourselves by downgrading others. Why should you care what kinds of scholarships kids get out of baseball??? It keeps them off drugs and gets their fat asses off of the xbox. It teaches them to have focus and a work ethic. Travel ball also strengthens families because many use these kinds of trips as their family vacations. So its good quality time spent together. I know you are going to poo-poo that but there is more value in that aspect than just about anything else. In my travels, the bulk of the people I have met when scouting tournaments are good families who want to see their kid move on to college and play ball. Not many harbor dreams of a full ride to ASU. It doesn't work that way and anyone with a kid with any aspirations learns that really quick - its called the EYE TEST. What parents do know is that a kid who goes to D3 school can get nearly all of his $40K tuition paid just by playing on a garbage field in 29 degree weather. And then someday get a good job and raise a family of his own. So the journey and result is a little different than inner city hoops, or football factory schools. They make a real investment in kids, and who they are, not just what they can do.

Your comments do beg a few questions, though.... Do you apply your own logic to your own kids??? If so, then drop them out of every activity they participate in because they aren't going to go pro. Might as well drop them out of school, too, because there is definitely no medical or law degree in their future, right???
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

So what is travel baseball? Upper middle class families doing all they can to get a bite of a .2 scholarship or keeping upper middle class kids asses skinny by getting them off the xBox?
sowthpaw5
Freshman
Freshman

New Windber MEGA-sports Complex + a bit of irony

Post by sowthpaw5 »

The big picture is that the kids are keeping busy in a sport that they love and their families are investing their time and resources into them as well.

Guys like Rick and his staff have helped develop and get kids exposure while also improving and giving confidence to kids that may have never even played or kept playing baseball.

I give anyone credit that tries to bring something new to this area and invests themselves personally and financially.
Using Tapatalk
DougMcNulty
Freshman
Freshman

Post by DougMcNulty »

It has always been a vision of Era Sports/Flood City Elite to provide the Johnstown/Altoona area with a complex, like the one that is going into Windber.

They've traveled to numerous tournaments all over the East Coast where complexes like this, are constantly busy with games. For the past 3-4 years they've been running tournaments at all the local fields in Johnstown, and tournament turnout has been good. It's a nightmare from a standpoint of logistics to do that, this helps with that problem.
In terms of having a central location for the summer/fall teams to practice, The Mount and Kevin, have worked well with ERA to let them use their facility when needed, but this gives the teams a state of the art complex.

Teams that travel to these tournaments want nice facilities and good competition, sure amenties like the Beach, ton's of things to do, help to sell a tournament, but teams/coaches/parents want good competition.

Rick Roberts and Mike Connolly have done this for years now. They will work with any player at any age level/ability level, they understand how to get kids better. They've also worked with numerous families who can't afford the programs or travel teams to help fundraise so the kids can play.

I get some of you want "Major League Players", but the amount of kids who have continued their baseball career in college, with the help of ERA Sports, is astonishing. D1, D2, D3, doesn't matter. If a player wants to play, and they dedicate themselves to it, ERA Sports will help them find the right fit.

9 kids D1 last two years, 8 kids playing professional baseball since ERA started, with Ian Stiffler being the highest pick in Round 7 last year by the Atlanta Braves. Countless kids playing at the next level. I would like to think some of those players would be playing college or pro ball without ERA, but to think that ERA hasn't achieved anything is comical.
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

knowitall wrote:So what is travel baseball? Upper middle class families doing all they can to get a bite of a .2 scholarship or keeping upper middle class kids asses skinny by getting them off the xBox?
My mistake. I meant to say middle class, not upper. I don't know it all, nor do I claim that.

Like Doug McNulty said - the purpose is to help kids to continue to play a sport they love. With tons of other intangible benefits. If it can boost the economy, even better. To think that it won't have a quality of life impact is ridiculous. Maybe not for you, but then again, sounds like all you need is bleachercoaches. Then you'll have a way to do what you love - sit on your **** and criticize everyone else.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

....Just a quick review, for NO particular reason. College baseball scholarships:
....1) Division I 297 baseball teams 11.7 scholarships per team/year teams can have up to 30 players/team
....2) Division II 242 baseball teams 9 scholarships per team/year
....3) Division III 408 baseball teams 0 scholarships per team/year
....4) NAIA
....5) National Junior College Athletic Association
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Follow me, I'm the pied piper
tim.wedding
Freshman
Freshman

Post by tim.wedding »

I check this site to follow the goings on from time to time and put my 2 cents in rarely, mainly because I don't really have much to add to most discussions. However, in viewing them I have identified a pretty common thread which is that things are said anonymously that they would not normally say if their name were attributed to it.

Maybe this is the beauty of such a message board, but also seems to be a real detriment to many discussions. Honest opinions cannot be expressed without some mean spirited baseless comment that is said without any attribution to the author. I am all for free speech and agree it allows a person to say whatever they want, but at least fess up to saying it. I guess a return to courtesy is what I am suggesting.

I think the best thing that has ever happened to this site is the ability to sign in with a somewhat verified account so a name is attached to it. For whatever it's worth, I think it would go a long way to improve the discussions on here if that were required, but on the other hand it would probably cut the posts in half because people wouldn't say half the stuff they do now.

Ok,that's my societal commentary for likely the year.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Disagree with Obama, you're a racist. Disagree with the majority on this site, you're mean-spirited. That's why anonymity exists. And as long as posters on this site are posting truths, or posting honest opinions, a name shouldn't matter.
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

El-Moldo wrote:....Just a quick review, for NO particular reason. College baseball scholarships:
....1) Division I 297 baseball teams 11.7 scholarships per team/year teams can have up to 30 players/team
....2) Division II 242 baseball teams 9 scholarships per team/year
....3) Division III 408 baseball teams 0 scholarships per team/year
....4) NAIA
....5) National Junior College Athletic Association
D3 - 0 scholarships but unlimited grants and endowment donor funds which are used in place of athletic scholarships.