New Windber MEGA-sports Complex + a bit of irony

It could be....It might be.....It is!!! A Home Run!
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

New Windber MEGA-sports Complex + a bit of irony

Post by Manfred »

Been reading about the proposed multi-million $$ sports complex planned for a reclaimed strip mine along Rt. 56 near Windber. Kudos to all, if it finally bears fruit. What a boon to the area sports scene. At the same time, I find it highly ironic, that Windber like every other district in the area, is somewhat economically distressed. The local football stadium has had ongoing issues, and it was reported today that the community swimming pool, is in need of MAJOR repairs to the liner and a broken valve that can't easily be replaced. The pool is run by the Borough, who says they will have to "secure a loan" of over 100K for the needed repairs. Couldn't some of this 'new' development capital be secured to help out the 'old'? In order to benefit the WHOLE community, wouldn't this make too much sense? Or is it a typical political case, where the right hand doesn't care what the left does? Just follow the Greater Johnstown storm sewage snafu's to understand this. In Windber's case, they will have a bright, shiny new star to showcase, while the old, decaying infrastructure goes to pieces.
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: New Windber MEGA-sports Complex + a bit of irony

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Windber Stadium has seen much better days, I'll attest to that.
deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deepcreek »

It is a private endeavor, so there is no need to think about Windber public ammenities. This will be very good for the area
SportsLover61
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by SportsLover61 »

I agree with deepcreek, this will be great for our area baseball players. This area has had some good players and teams come out recently, in some part due to ERA. I wish them the best of luck
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

There will be a shift for local baseball from a "Roxbury and Point" mentality to a more desirable and friendly location.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

A real boon to the area?

Longer lines at Applebees on Saturday night? Perhaps KFC reopens?
deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deepcreek »

Jest of you like, but this will bring more people to the area. If this complex is run like some of the other major travel team sites, it could bring humdreds if not thousand (or 2) visitors to the area. These people will need places to stay and somewhere to eat.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

These tournaments are already here. They're so far under the radar that they are easily overlooked.

Who will build these new hotels and restaurants?
deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deepcreek »

There are no tournmanets like this in area. This will be like Diamondnation in Flemington, NJ if I understand correctly. It will bring more people than you think
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

deepcreek wrote:There are no tournmanets like this in area. This will be like Diamondnation in Flemington, NJ if I understand correctly. It will bring more people than you think
From where? Again, who will build restaurants and hotels to accommodate one or two weekends per year?

And let's not forget, there's only so many innings in young arms