What the Heck?

It could be....It might be.....It is!!! A Home Run!
stang4life
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: What the Heck?

Post by stang4life »

It's not a pessimistic post, I take it as constructive advise. Especially, from where you've been and what you have seen.

You are right when you say pure talent will trump any hitting or pitching lesson when your young. Some kids will progress through their later teens and do make some noise...But, Baseball is a hard route to take..Some great talent out there and a lot of it. Tho..Getting caught up in the dream of playing a great game for a long time is the fun of it all..
Saying that, there is some really great talent in this area that has and will be developed. If you are a kid with some really good baseball skills, not great, I'd say the problem is in this particular area it is not a hotbed for scouts to consistently comb through for what they are looking for. Maybe if you may know someone or your on a prized travel team and the right guy happens to catch you on a good day.
If I were a young guy with the gumption to work hard towards my goals...Guess the dream would come first, and then what is involved at the next level would just have to be seen..
highheat
Freshman
Freshman

Post by highheat »

Too many parents are living their dreams through their kids and are consumed with outcomes that are not realistic.  Because this is the current environment Dads who don't feel this way still must be involved or their kids will be overshadowed by all of the kids whose parents are spending a fortune on lessons and taking them all over the place to play baseball.  What chance does a kid have if he just plays little league without any parental involvement?  I've heard rumblings that some of the bad blood at Iron Horse started because certain kids weren't put on the best All Star teams.  If that is true then it truly is a shame the way all of this is playing out.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

I do think a lot of the parents pushing this weren't great athletes and in some cases weren't even mediocre athletes when they were growing up.

I do think we need to take a look at how our little leagues are operating. The season seems to be a mere prelude to all star teams and tournaments. I would like to see more practice time. Games not starting until May and at least a twenty game season lasting through July. My kid's season ended last year before school dismissed for the summer.
GoDragons
Senior
Senior

Post by GoDragons »

The problem with Iron Horse is the Owner of Iron Horse, plain and simple, not ERA/Flood City.  Let those who know baseball, the ERA/Flood City men, run the baseball side. Once they were removed from the equation, teams didn't get shirts, teams were put together unfairly, participation dropped to less than half the prior year, etc, etc.  There is a complete lack of people skills with the Owners (husband and wife) which precipitated many complaints from teams outside the area participating in tournaments there.
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

Yes, I have heard similar reports.  However, there are always two sides to every story and I'm pretty sure anyone who has the means to build such a facility would want to retain control of it in order to maintain its value over the long term. Just read the news everyday to see examples of that in action in government and elsewhere.  In the end, I agree with everyone else's comments that essentially in spite of their intentions parents are nuts, business deals sometimes get TRUMPED, and its a shame the best interests of the kids are never placed at the top of the list.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Geez Mholtz65, you're really raining on the dream. Please tell us that there are lots and lots of baseball groupies a least?
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

People don't like to hear the truth. At any age level.
It ain't over until it's over.
Mholtz65
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Mholtz65 »

Colonel Mustard, sorry but that is the reality for many who have played pro ball.

Regarding groupies, sure there are. In fact, in the big leagues the FBI would meet with all teams in spring training. Mainly, to talk about ways organized crime could, and have blackmailed players. One way was to use "groupies" to hook up with married players and secretly film the encounter. The mob would use this as leverage against the player for a number of reasons. Use your imagination.

The FBI would bring in this "high level" former mob boss who was under witness protection. I won't mention his name in this forum. He explained how they would operate to blackmail players. It was pretty intense.

So yes, there are groupies. Would you role the dice??
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

It would definitely be a shame to make it to the big leagues and then lose it all by being involved with the wrong people.  But apparently it does happen.  In reality, though, many parents are rolling the dice that their kids are gonna make it big when 99.9% will never play beyond high school.  Even the best of the best travel team and baseball academy kids are lucky if they wind up at UPJ.  Natural ability is a rare thing and when you see it, you know it.  If I had a kid playing nowadays I'd be involved just to make sure that all of the kids had a chance to play - not just those who travel or go to a baseball school.
doug3esq
Freshman
Freshman

Post by doug3esq »

I came across this forum while googling Flood City Baseball.  The 12u team has been very dominant at Ripken States. I was curious to learn about them. I found it odd that my Google search for Flood City  landed me at what appears to be a travel team website.  What exactly is Flood City baseball? Is it a rec league or not? Tx.