AAABA

It could be....It might be.....It is!!! A Home Run!
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

AAABA

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Congrats to Martellas on a good tourney.  

And now the angry old guy rant. Reading the Tribune this morning I see comments about Johnstown now being one of the front-runners which is fine, but then comparing the recent run to Johnstown's history in the tourney. And, gulp, suggesting that the talent level has been raised......  Um, can we not just be happy with the current success without comparing to previous years. Anyone with two eyes and a brain can tell you that the talent level in the tournament overall has declined significantly and not that Johnstown's talent has ascended, above previous levels.  Please, that is insulting on so many levels. There are a handful of D1 players in the entire tourney. There used to be entire teams made up of D1 guys and pro-prospects.  Now we are getting 3 teams from Buffalo.  The tournament has changed, and I'm ok if you don't want to highlight that. There is no reason to disparage the kids that are playing. But please don't try to tell me that Johnstown is doing better now because the talent level has improved.  

I'll now go back to worrying about my lawn. Thanks for letting me vent.
lgb87cape
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: AAABA

Post by lgb87cape »

How does Martella's for some reason every year avoid NO until the championship game ? 
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

I’m thinking that Nick Perry left some magic ping pong balls when the old timers draw Johnstown 1 and New Orleans.
"Those who say it can't be done are being interrupted by those who are doing it."

Author unknown
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BigSkyCountry »

JOHNSTOWN 1 is always paired opposite Nola, from the best of my knowledge. I could be wrong. I can’t recall a tourney where they were paired together especially under the new format. I do believe that the JOHNSTOWN contingency has progressed in talent as of late. I also believe that the overall tourney talent is down outside of NOLA. Like little league, there are other options for this age of player to participate in. Take Braxton Roxby for instance. Had the opportunity to go to a league that has primarily D1 players and is frequented by scouts. If your talented enough and have the dream of chasing the next level, you have to get in front of scouts. Those with that dream chase that opportunity. Takes them out of AAABA play. I understand that. Some may say that is selfish but I wouldn’t. It’s a tough decision that a talented player has to make in order to be seen during high level competition. Congrats to Martellas! Made a nice run and it was high quality baseball. Our area boys did well on the stage they chose to participate in.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

The tournament has had six different champions in the past eight years.  This followed a 33 year stretch with just four.

What’s different today?  No Baltimore.  And for a six year stretch of those 33 years, no Washington.

That there are only 13 franchises left is troubling.  But this year’s tournament was the first in a few years where there was no turmoil leading up to opening night.  All teams were present and accounted for.

The old days ain’t coming back.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Agreed. Teams no longer participating include Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Birmingham, Lansing, Livonia, Ann Arbor (note that last bunch all from Mich.), Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Milford Mass., and yet this is still billed as a "national" tournament. Not a single team west of the Mississippi. EVER. Or the deep south, other than NOLA.
It ain't over until it's over.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

And Elk County, Waterbury, Chicago South Shore and Schenectady.  Miami had a team one year.  I don't remember if it ever made it to Johnstown though.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Beckley (WV) showed up a few times and weren’t too bad if I recall correctly. 
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BigSkyCountry »

I still think it is a quality tournament that is entertaining and gives Johnstown something for the economy. I wish a little more pride would be placed into the stadium for something that someone (of multiple people) hope will be a big draw. I went each evening to the Martella's contest. The Point is a unique ball park with a bit of nostalgia to it (in my book, but not others). Pretty good seating for taking in a game regardless of where you choose to sit. A minus that I picked up on real quick was that the lighting is poor. Probably not due to the set up, but more so because of the number of lights that wouldnt turn on. Whether it is electrical or the lights are burned out, I do not know. The second thing was the sound system. Wasnt the best. Wasnt the poorest that I have ever heard. The turf seems pretty pounded down in many areas. Is the turf the original turf or has it been replaced ever? I saw zero problems with the organization, structuring of games, set-up, etc... Would I like to see the teams of old once again, absolutely!!!! It was good baseball. Martellas seemed to have a young roster overall with a lot of 18 year old members. As these kids get their feet wet under college coaching and morph into the players they can be, they may be pretty darn tough for the next couple of years. I had a coach tell me once that a college baseball player grows the most in their first semester of college. If true, I am anxious to see where that team can be next season after a year of growth. A lot can happen between now and next year - in either direction. Thanks to Martellas for a fun run and a few nights of watching some good baseball outside of my living room.