What say you?

Goooooooaaaaaaaalllllllllll
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

What say you?

Post by knowitall »

Belle Vernon soccer star Izzy Laurita leaving team due to safety concerns.  Having already committed to play soccer at the next level, this junior will not play for her high school team to avoid injury.

https://triblive.com/sports/high-school/belle-vernon-soccer-star-izzy-laurita-leaving-team-due-to-safety-concerns/

(Via TribLive)
Getoffmylawn
Freshman
Freshman

Re: What say you?

Post by Getoffmylawn »

More power to her if she thinks that’s best. She doesn’t owe it to her school to play.
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

"Club Teams," "AAU," and "continue working with my strength and conditioning coach."  The scam continues.  I blame the parents for letting it happen and the system for failing her.  

In terms of hoops, cause this is the world I am in, I will say this without any regret.  AAU crowd, listen up, your coach is a JOKE.  Most times, they are varsity assistants and can't hack it as a head coach.  Or they are head coaches stuffing their pockets.  I hear it all the time, there are college scouts at the AAU tournaments.   =))  show me next time, point them out.  You live in a dream world.  All of you.  

And the people that run the AAU scam, don't worry, I don't laugh behind your back, I laugh right in your face.  I slam you every chance I get.  I tell my players to stay away from you.  And I guarantee I have had more players "get looks" than your entire AAU program has even pumped out in 10 years.  I will continue to attack you until you are exposed for the snakes that you are.

Anyone that says this girl is making the right decision and listening to the right people, congrats.  You are stupid.
Thanks!
sportsfan1072
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by sportsfan1072 »

I would have to say that the "right" decision is different for each student athlete and their particular circumstance.

Charlie, I don't follow the AAU basketball so you may be right about that sport, but do I understand you correctly, in your opinion all kids should play for their local high school as opposed to travel, club or AAU teams?  If so, is this only for basketball or for all sports?  I have a good friend who used to coach a travel team (not basketball) who now runs an extremely successful college program.

And I know of another local (not Belle Vernon) player, who played all 4 years at his high school, and for the Riverhounds who is now playing D-1 soccer on scholarship.  The girl in the article also trains with the Riverhounds - so is it the Riverhounds training program?

I have also seen high school coaches in other sports who are not as qualified as those coaching local club teams.  Some times they are teachers who played in high school with little to no coaching experience who are trying to earn some extra money.  

An example of one non-school program that seems very successful  in coaching their athletes is the Young Guns wrestling program.

Also, if she already has signed with the college, I don't blame her, again the right decision for her is to be made by her and her parents.  

As far as not playing due to the possibility of injury when you already have an scholarship offer is a decision for that person - I know of a local player that received a scholarship to play football at a small college.  He played in an after season all-star game his senior year and tore his ACL.  Luckily, the coach at the college is still giving him his scholarship.
Lionjacket
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Lionjacket »

I don’t necessarily have a horse in the race, as my son is very young, however, some things need to be cleared up, when it comes to AAU basketball.

The dream of every high school basketball player is not to make it to the NBA or play D1 basketball. Some kids just want to have fun with their friends, stay active, or maybe play some basketball in college (D2, D3, JUCO). With that being said, not every player that plays AAU basketball dreams of going D1. Some kids love the game and want to play well into the summer (and if the parents want to pay for them to do that, who really cares). Some kids just want to play against better competition, as compared to Richland, Building II, etc. If you think that there is no difference, I hate to tell you, but playing kids from Philly, New York, and Maryland is better than local leagues.

As far as making money goes, I don’t know any local AAU programs that pay their coaches (Winners Circle, Mountain Cat, All Day Hoops, etc.). When you go to bigger areas, they certainly do pay their coaches, but that is just not the case in this area.

When it comes to scouts, you will not see D1 scouts at many tournaments that local kids go to. That is because there is a difference between grassroots AAU (our area) and shoes sponsored AAU (national programs). D1, D2, and D3 coaches flock to the shoe sponsored events, because that is where the top talent in the country is, not at CalU on a weekend in April. Also, college coaches have very limited recruiting windows (2 weekends in April and 2 weekends in July usually). It is illegal to recruit outside of those specified weekends.

Finally, I think that AAU has absolutely helped our area. AAU really became popular in our area about a decade ago. Since that time, look at how well teams have done in the PIAA playoffs.

Finally, I am not saying that AAU is the best system in the world, or a flawless one at that, but I think that people should know more of the facts before making judgments.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Lionjacket wrote:I don’t necessarily have a horse in the race, as my son is very young, however, some things need to be cleared up, when it comes to AAU basketball.

The dream of every high school basketball player is not to make it to the NBA or play D1 basketball. Some kids just want to have fun with their friends, stay active, or maybe play some basketball in college (D2, D3, JUCO). With that being said, not every player that plays AAU basketball dreams of going D1. Some kids love the game and want to play well into the summer (and if the parents want to pay for them to do that, who really cares). Some kids just want to play against better competition, as compared to Richland, Building II, etc. If you think that there is no difference, I hate to tell you, but playing kids from Philly, New York, and Maryland is better than local leagues.

As far as making money goes,  I don’t know any local AAU programs that pay their coaches (Winners Circle, Mountain Cat, All Day Hoops, etc.). When you go to bigger areas, they certainly do pay their coaches, but that is just not the case in this area.

When it comes to scouts, you will not see D1 scouts at many tournaments that local kids go to. That is because there is a difference between grassroots AAU (our area) and shoes sponsored AAU (national programs). D1, D2, and D3 coaches flock to the shoe sponsored events, because that is where the top talent in the country is, not at CalU on a weekend in April. Also, college coaches have very limited recruiting windows (2 weekends in April and 2 weekends in July usually). It is illegal to recruit outside of those specified weekends.

Finally, I think that AAU has absolutely helped our area. AAU really became popular in our area about a decade ago. Since that time, look at how well teams have done in the PIAA playoffs.

Finally, I am not saying that AAU is the best system in the world, or a flawless one at that, but I think that people should know more of the facts before making judgments.
Really good post.
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Post by PAMDGrappler »

Everyone is entitled to do what they feel is best for themselves, but I think this young lady will regret her decision down the road. Playing HS sports is more than just training for the next level. The team provides a family-type atmosphere and you form bonds that last a lifetime. If you talk to anyone, I bet some of their best memories involve their HS team(s). Sometimes you have to just enjoy being a kid!
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Unless she’s playing for a high school team that just annihilates its opponents I don’t know how or why she would want to possibly give up two years of playing to practice.  I bet this decision was dad’s.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Just like a lot of marriages. Couples promise to love, cherish and obey on their wedding day, and then stop once they get what they are after.
Jimjohn81
Senior
Senior

Post by Jimjohn81 »

Charlie, I'm confused. You coach in this area? A hot bed for college prospects? And your telling me that your school season, summer league, and team camps and etc are better for exposure? I agree some aau coaches/programs are complete jokes but I cant even see how you can argue this point. Now if your in philly, I missed this, maybe???? Probably not enough for maximum exposure, but maybe. I had a relative who during the aau season attracted serious interest. Enough that big schools were sending coaches to our local gym to work him out. They didnt bite, aau ended, and high school season began. They simply couldn't evaluate him anymore. I watched a game that several college coaches were at. They guarded him with 2 guys denying the ball. He scored 40. He still got a full ride and had a successful career but did not go as big as he probably shouldve. AAU is almost a must for any serious basketball prospect. The job of the parents and high school coach is trying to find a good fit.