What say you?

Goooooooaaaaaaaalllllllllll
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: What say you?

Post by say_oww »

What sport are you talking about when you say if you go D1 or D2 you are getting a full ride? And how many of those have we seen recently? Most of them are preferred walk-on status where they want you to come and tryout but aren't giving up any dough. They reserve the FULL rides for the Real DUDES. I honestly can't remember any Football, Basketball, or Baseball FULL rides in recent memory. Even the big baseball dudes are only getting partial scholarships unless they have the million dollar arm.
wagonrider242
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by wagonrider242 »

say_oww wrote:What sport are you talking about when you say if you go D1 or D2 you are getting a full ride?    And how many of those have we seen recently?  Most of them are preferred walk-on status where they want you to come and tryout but aren't giving up any dough.  They reserve the FULL rides for the Real DUDES.  I honestly can't remember any Football, Basketball, or Baseball FULL rides in recent memory.  Even the big baseball dudes are only getting partial scholarships unless they have the million dollar arm.
Well if you want to get technical it is against ncaa rules to discuss financial terms with anyone other than immediate family. But if I could tag Crimson Ghost in this, there aren't many FULL SCHOLARSHIP schools in the running for kids in this area. I could name a kid who got a 99% athletic scholarship from the area for a sport not even named above...
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

wagonrider242 wrote:
say_oww wrote:What sport are you talking about when you say if you go D1 or D2 you are getting a full ride?    And how many of those have we seen recently?  Most of them are preferred walk-on status where they want you to come and tryout but aren't giving up any dough.  They reserve the FULL rides for the Real DUDES.  I honestly can't remember any Football, Basketball, or Baseball FULL rides in recent memory.  Even the big baseball dudes are only getting partial scholarships unless they have the million dollar arm.
Well if you want to get technical it is against ncaa rules to discuss financial terms with anyone other than immediate family. But if I could tag Crimson Ghost in this, there aren't many FULL SCHOLARSHIP schools in the running for kids in this area. I could name a kid who got a 99% athletic scholarship from the area for a sport not even named above...
So wait, everyone that is at AAU isn't getting a scholarship?????????  :-o  Thats crap cause my AAU coach that if I played I had a chance to get a scholarship.  No way he would lie to me. 

Yeah, you are lying, I texted him.  Its clear, the reason why I am not getting looks is because of my high school coach isn't using me right.  Thats what my AAU coach told my dad.  Its ok, we are gonna take care of the HS coach.  Dad's friend is on the school board, he is as good as gone by next season.
Thanks!
wagonrider242
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by wagonrider242 »

CharlieConway wrote:
wagonrider242 wrote:
So wait, everyone that is at AAU isn't getting a scholarship?????????  :-o  Thats crap cause my AAU coach that if I played I had a chance to get a scholarship.  No way he would lie to me. 

Yeah, you are lying, I texted him.  Its clear, the reason why I am not getting looks is because of my high school coach isn't using me right.  Thats what my AAU coach told my dad.  Its ok, we are gonna take care of the HS coach.  Dad's friend is on the school board, he is as good as gone by next season.
Charlie your hate for AAU is almost comical... I played baseball in the initial AAU wave in the area about 15 years ago. That's when there was actual talent playing and it wasn't a pay for play daddyball. I'd appreciate your argument a whole lot more if you would put an emphasis on the fact that it doesn't matter your talent level but how deep your pockets are for being capable of playing. To get back to the original point, the girl isn't at fault for not playing high school that should be a personal decision for her and her family for her own best interest. Shockingly enough some HS coaches do not put player safety as a top priority and could jeopardize someone getting to go to college for free.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Basketball and Football are the only “full-ride” sports at the D1 and D2 level.  Every other sport is partial. We were discussing basketball, so I thought that was implied.  

A division one basketball team has 13 full scholarships. They can’t be split up like baseball. 

A division two basketball team has 9 scholarships. So some of those are full, some are split. 
wagonrider242
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by wagonrider242 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Basketball and Football are the only “full-ride” sports.  Every other sport is partial. 
Correct. But that doesn't mean you cant get a "full-ride", You just have to be that good!
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

I agree. If your son is the next Hank Aaron, why can't he be given a full ride? Just means there is less money for others.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

El-Moldo wrote:I agree. If your son is the next Hank Aaron, why can't he be given a full ride? Just means there is less money for others.
There are 11.7 baseball scholarships in D1. I’m sure some kids out there get a 100% scholarship but it’s not overly common I wouldn’t think. 

However, if you’re kid is the next Hank Aaron, he would get drafted in the first round, likely in the top 3. The highest rated high school prospect in the baseball draft this year signed a 7.7 million dollar signing bonus instead of honoring his commitment to Oklahoma. 
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

C'mon. You get my point. Don't say ONLY basketball and football give out full rides.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Well those are the only sports where the scholarship can’t be split up at that level. 

A football team has 85 players on full scholarship. A baseball team has 30 kids sharing 11.7 scholarships.  There’s a difference.