Pac 16?

The name says it all!
deliverance
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Pac 16?

Post by deliverance »

The offers are going out very soon. The Pac 10 is going to offer Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Colorado. I'm not sure if any or if all the teams will accept, but this will be the first real step in a whole new direction for College Football. The Big Ten has thrown around some things, but everything has been denied. This has been pretty much confirmed from some good sources. It's about to get really interesting.
Last edited by deliverance on September 20th, 2011, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pac 16?

Post by abpk2903 »

This is getting interesting. If it was me making the decisions for the Big Ten on expansion, I would have done things a little differently. I'm not sure if announcing they are considering expanding then taking 12, 14, 16... months to make a decision is the best way for it to be handled. This has allowed other conferences to be proactive on the issue and make moves to secure their stability. The PAC 10 and SEC have joined the parade late but seem to be just as far or further ahead as the Big Ten. I expect the ACC and Big East to get into the mix sooner rather than later as well. What the Big Ten has to be careful of is the PAC 10, ACC, or SEC beating them to the punch and taking a school that would be a great fit for the Big Ten. If the Big East adds East Carolina, Memphis, Southern Miss, and UCF (which I feel will all be in a major conference when this is all said and done) then will a Rutgers, Pitt, or Syracuse be a little less likely to make a move? I mean I still feel that the Big Ten will add some solid schools (athletically, educationally, and marketability) but announcing they were looking at expansion as early in the process as they did could take away some of their top choices.

The Big 12 is the conference to watch the closest in this process. Being in the center of the country nearly all their schools are in the discussions.
Last edited by abpk2903 on September 20th, 2011, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

Big eleven, who started all this are going to get beat to the punch. It will be interesting to see if the SEC moves quickly now as they covet some of the same teams that are reportedly going to be invited by the Pac-10.

Lot's of scenarios that could play out....Step One will be Boise State being invited and accepting to the Mt. West early next week. By the end of the week, one of the other "Big Three" in all this (Pac-10, Big-10, SEC) may make a move to start the ball rolling.

One other comment....WVU would LOVE to end up in the SEC. I think that could very easily happen in all this, even if the rest of the Big East stays put.
Last edited by Head Roadie on September 20th, 2011, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ancient Enemy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by The Ancient Enemy »

SEC has stated they have no interest in moving as far north as WVU.

Where did you guys hear that about Boise?
Last edited by The Ancient Enemy on September 20th, 2011, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I can and will be hard anytime with or without my boyz!!!" - Hollywood

"Their jerseys make me want to run through the desert and tackle a terrorist." - nLions1
deliverance
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deliverance »

Here's an update on the Big 10 situation as far as Texas is concerned:

"It completely caught (DeLaney) off-guard," the source said. "Let's just say they weren't ready for that and some have already started to ask whether the timeline of 12-18 months needs to change."

Rumor has it that Texas is the school that the Big 10 covets the most in the Big 12 and this could impact the leverage of two other Big 12 schools. My guess would be Texas A&M and Texas Tech. All this information was coming from a person working in the athletic department within a Big 10 school.
Last edited by deliverance on September 20th, 2011, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ancient Enemy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Texas is the only school in the nation who can play an independent schedule. If they do not like what the Big 12 can offer, or the Big Ten or Pac 10, they should go rogue.
Last edited by The Ancient Enemy on September 20th, 2011, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Their jerseys make me want to run through the desert and tackle a terrorist." - nLions1
colonelsanders
Senior
Senior

Post by colonelsanders »

They were saying on ESPN that Texas wants to create its own cable network for all of Texas Athletics. The football program alone brings in $120 million. They also said that Texas doesnt want to lose all of the rivalry games that it has establlished in the Big 12.

Do you think that Pac-10 would want a Colorado? They havent been great since the 90s.
Last edited by colonelsanders on September 20th, 2011, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ancient Enemy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Colorado has been linked to Pac-10 expansion for years. Even over a year ago, before the Big Ten said they may expand, there were rumors of the Pac-10 adding 2, and playing a conference title game. Colorado was the school they wanted the most, over BYU and Utah and Boise.

raidernation
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by raidernation »

I read on foxsports that the Big 12 gave Nebraska 2 weeks to make a decision. they have been linked to Pac 10 and Big 10 exspanion talks
Last edited by raidernation on September 20th, 2011, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ancient Enemy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Here's my prediction.

Enjoy watching this final year of Big 12 football, because that conference is either dissolving altogether or else will be renamed.

They have no one to blame but themselves.