Christian McCaffrey

The name says it all!
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Christian McCaffrey

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Christian McCaffrey has chosen not to play in the Sun Bowl in order to prepare for the draft immediately. Thoughts on this? 

IMO I can completely support his decision either way. The game really means nothing in terms of win or lose, and an injury would dramatically hurt his draft position (aka $$$). Ezekiel Elliot gave his 2 cents via twitter and said he'd do anything to play again. Strong words from someone who left either to pursue the NFL. But he had the chance to play in a national title game which is much bigger than the elusive Sun Bowl. I just don't blame McCaffrey for opting out when really his only positive is getting to play for Stanford one last time in risk of a big time injury.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Re: Christian McCaffrey

Post by Coach »

How do you blame kids when coaches are all fleeing the scene. Finish what you started!
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Fournette is doing the same thing. I wouldn't blame James Conner if he did the same thing.  
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

I think it's going to set a precedent going forward into nezt year, and wouldn't be surprised if more players opt out this year. But what is the incentive besides getting one more game in? Is it worth the risk if you know you're a first rounder?
stang4life
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by stang4life »

Do see the money/NFL side of the decision not to play. And the chance of an injury..But, these college's also invested in these athletes. These student athletes got a free education, and all the other "benefits" that went into signing with their particular college.

If McCaffery is even close to being 100% healthy, he should play in his final game with his team/mates. If for anything, IMO..for respect for his coaches, fans etc..and maybe some payback to all those that gave him an opportunity to go to the next level.
Bitoffun
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Bitoffun »

If a player is definitely leaving, coaches don't really care if he plays. The coaching staff is already focusing on next year. Don't really blame the player for focusing on his future.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

While i respect his decision to not finish the season with his team, if i were an NFL scout i would drop him on my big board for this.

One, he is letting his teammates down, and two if he is so worried about getting injured in 1 game maybe we need to take a look at the risk involved!
stang4life
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by stang4life »

Bet the Rep from the Sun Bowl will be estatic to hand a nice size check over to the McCafferyless Stanford.... Like coach said "finish what you started"
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

konjo78 wrote:While i respect his decision to not finish the season with his team, if i were an NFL scout i would drop him on my big board for this.

One, he is letting his teammates down, and two if he is so worried about getting injured in 1 game maybe we need to take a look at the risk involved!
Watch how many NFL players sit out these next two weeks.  He is likely sitting out the bowl game with the approval of any potential future employer.
BlueYonder
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BlueYonder »

Unfortunately, IMO, this is part of a bad trend where everybody worries about themselves and "Commitment" is going by the wayside.  I don't like it one bit.  Finish the season with your team.  It's the same when coaches get new jobs and just leave during the season before the bowl game.