CFP committee

The name says it all!
Bitoffun
Freshman
Freshman

CFP committee

Post by Bitoffun »

If you were on the committee, would you do away with mid season rankings? Do you think they limited their options with early rankings?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: CFP committee

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I think one of the most exciting days of the year for college basketball is selection Sunday. You are checking ESPN and CBS to see the latest Bracketology reports, then boom 6:00 comes and they announce the field and you start filling out your bracket. They don't need to come out once a week and tell everyone where they stand. They don't over-saturate us with a weekly TV special telling us who is ranked where.

College football could take a page from college basketball and just have one singular selection show. Not one every week from mid October until the end of the season.

This year for instance, everyone knew Penn State wasn't in the final four because of the prior week's rankings. There was no suspense.
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 223113 »

It gives the CFP Committe the opportunity to put someone high enough, that Surely, they can't drop out of top 4. Like, again, this year they jumped Ohio State (whom they have a love affair with every year), clear up to #2, if I remember correctly.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

I remember the first year i made a post saying they should only have 1 ranking at the end because its the only one that matters. I still stand by my opinion there.

There is no reason for so many weeks of their rankings when only 1 matters
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 223113 »

I just gave you the reason, in my first post.
pahntr
Freshman
Freshman

Post by pahntr »

[ltr]If they only had one show then ESPN couldn't fill all those time slots each week with a CFB program. ESPN owns college FB. They don't have the same strangle hold on college basketball. The whole bowl season is dominated and totally managed by ESPN. I am pretty sure they broadcast every single bowl game. Think of how much ad revenue they get from each of those rankings shows. ESPN will come up with anything they can to make a show out of it. College FB is a fabulous sport and league. ESPN has done a masterful job in building it to get there and marketing the heck out of it. Then they reap the rewards![/ltr]

[ltr]Just my $.02 .......[/ltr]
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

The weekly release isn't a good idea for this reason....

If they didn't release it nobody would have expected Penn State to be as high as they were initially. They were ranked way higher there than in any other poll at the time. I would imagine most fans wouldn't have thought the the Top 4 was an option if they just came out once.

That said....I liked the poll for that very reason. It made the stretch run and other games that much more exciting knowing what could potentially happen as puzzle pieces fell around them.
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

II love college football but I think mostly everyone will agree that the most frustrating part is how there is no blueprint for how to win a National Title. This has been the case for the entire history of college football. 

It's an impossible tasks to pick the best team out of 64 (let's be honest the only teams with a real chance at a national title are the power 5 conference teams + ND and BYU). The fact that these are student athletes and schedules need to be restricted to a reasonable amount of games complicates things. Add in that unlike pro football, schedules are not evenly remotely competitively balanced and what you have is a mess.

I think college football has done its best make due with the cards they are dealt. If I could make the rules here is how I would make the season structure. This would provide a distinct blueprint for a national champion while keeping the schedule at the same number of maximum games (15) as it is today.

Weeks 1-13: The major conference teams must play 9 conference games and 2 OOC matchups of their choosing. OOC matchups must include 1 power 5 conference opponent and no FCS or below opponents. This will allow for 2 bye weeks during the schedule and 11 games played.

Week 14: This would be the most exciting week in CFB. The top 2 teams for each conference battle for an automatic bid into a 8 team playoff. The remaining teams in the conference play a crossover game that is preset before the season against a team of comparable position in another power 5 conference. For instance, before the season it is determined the 5th place team of the B1G plays the 4th place team of the PAC12 on the road. With the teams splitting all revenue/expenses created by the game 50/50.

Playoffs: 8 teams playoffs are set by the 5 conference champions plus 3 teams decided by a committee.

Bowls: Remaining bowl eligible teams are sent to bowl games similar to how to it is done today.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

What do you mean no blueprint how to win a national title? This season ended up hitting the nail on the head with the 4 teams who made it in.

1. You perform well vs ranked teams.

2. No more than 1 bad loss

3. Wins vs top 10 teams

4. Big time road wins

5. Strength of schedule
GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by GoldenRamsFAN »

Washington hit all of those huh? Ehhh that's a long stretch.