Pitt Stripe Out

The name says it all!
odoyelrules
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pitt Stripe Out

Post by odoyelrules »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Actually the rules changed, it used to be a percentage of games to determine a redshirt, now if they come in for any play, the redshirt is void.  It didn't matter if they used Pickett in week one or week eight, him taking a snap ended the redshirt.
iirc the rules did change, but not quite as described above.  For decades redshirts could be obtained via A) not playing at all or B) qualifying for a medical redshirt.  A is simple enough to explain, but the B medical redshirt (or hardship waiver) went through some changes.  Currently the rule is: "a hardship waiver may be granted to athletes who appear in fewer than 30% of team competitions (none after the midpoint of the season) then suffers a season-ending injury."  - i believe that the 30% rule may have changed. 
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

McSorley was already a RS Freshman when he entered the bowl game against Georgia. Not relevant to this discussion. 
I don't get what we are arguing here. JoePa nor Narduzzi should have put a redshirt at risk for a single play in a game mid season in which the team has already been virtually eliminated from championship contention (National, Conference, or Divisional). They both f***ed up. I remember Nittany Lion fans being furious over the potential burn of Morelli's redshirt and Pitt fans should be equally furious over this bonehead move.
I think what JoePa and Narduzzi both have in common in this situation is some desperation. JoePa was in his late 70s and struggling to compete in the B1G. He was getting a lot of internal pressure and I don't really think that a players eligibility in 4 seasons was at the top of his list of concerns. Narduzzi is heading in a similar direction. Pitt had a great team last year that should have only lost maybe 2 or 3 games. They lost 5. Now we are halfway through this year and the team looks like probably one of the 5 worst power 5 conference teams in CFB. I don't really see how they are gonna get much better over the next few years. It's the old adage that do you really want a lot of returning starters from a 2 or 3 win team? What does that mean? 5 wins next year, maybe 6? He continues to recruit the PSU, OSU, WVU, and ND WPIAL leftovers. Narduzzi seen a chance to steal a game at Syracuse and went all in to win it. He didn't care about a players eligibility in 4 years, he needed the win now. Much like JoePa just wanted another win on his record late in his career against Purdue. Who lost in both of these examples is the kid that lost the extra year. It's a shame when old, wealthy grown men put their own interests over that of an 18 year old kid. Which is what happened here. 
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Morelli being done a year early worked out for PSU though as Daryll Clark led them to a B1G title, Rose Bowl berth and Top 10 finish. Fans were calling for Clark even during Morelli's senior year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Much like hackenburg morelli was never as good as the hype people wanted to give them.

But getting to talk about penn state maked moldos day complete so i cant wait for his next "climax" response
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

adpk: McSorley was already a redshirt freshman in 2015? So? I never said that bowl appearance blew his redshirt for that year. In was in regards to "how much does a coach know in advance that a player will play during a season". Just an example of game situations where no one can predict in advance when one player is called on to play. And as you said above, PSU fans WERE angry when JoePa burned Morelli's redshirt. He was gonna be a star, right? Just needed some maturity. But when Pickett entered the game last Saturday, I can't believe Pitt fans had a fit. Didn't seem as important as you NIT fans made it out to be. Again, half the season to go. This might just be HIS big break. And DragonsDoExist: Hindsight is 20/20. No one knew that 3 years ahead Morelli would not pan out. At the time, NIt fans were CERTAIN that JoePa made a big mistake on a big gamble.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

[youtube]QodpprseMR4[/youtube]

What moldo is like everytime he gets a chance to try and talk about Penn State Football
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

What’s ridiculous is worrying about the 2021 season halfway through the 2017 season.  Narduzzi made the decision to focus on 2017.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Knowitall,

As a fan, yes. As a coach that is responsible for the development of an 18 year old kid, it's irresponsible. If this kid hasn't been listed higher than 3rd on the depth chart through 5 games, I doubt he is developed enough as a college QB to use a year of eligibility for that circumstance.  Remember these are kids careers we are discussing here. 
We don't know where this kid will be in 5 years. Heck he coulda been a grad transfer starter for Alabama. But now he loses a 5th year of eligibility. 
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Can't he take a redshirt next year? I mean, what if DiNucci really gets good in 2018. Can't Pickett sit out after his freshman year? That would STILL give him 5 years to play 4.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

And one more thing. Why is letting Kenny Pickett play as an 18 year old irresponsible AND detrimental to his development? As everyone knows, he was an early enrollee at Pitt, arriving at the school in January. He was present for spring camp. He was at Pitt ALL summer long. He was present at the entire camp in August. And he was involved in ALL practices for the 1st 5 games. Don't give us some holier than thou speech about kids.