Pitt Stripe Out

The name says it all!
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pitt Stripe Out

Post by Colonel Mustard »

GoldenRamsFAN wrote:Well let's see, Michigan lost 18-22 starters while PSU got 19-22 starters back. Last years lose means absolutely nothing in this years rankings....yes Michigan beat Florida but how many players were suspended for them again? Polls just suck caz your team isn't in them....
So if what they did last year means nothing, then PSU shouldn't be anywhere near the top 5. They're top 5 because of how they finished last year. And they may end up top 5 this year, but they haven't done anything to earn top 5 thus far this year, whereas other teams have.  Polls suck, but they give us something to talk about.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Colonel Mustard wrote:
GoldenRamsFAN wrote:Well let's see, Michigan lost 18-22 starters while PSU got 19-22 starters back. Last years lose means absolutely nothing in this years rankings....yes Michigan beat Florida but how many players were suspended for them again? Polls just suck caz your team isn't in them....
So if what they did last year means nothing, then PSU shouldn't be anywhere near the top 5. They're top 5 because of how they finished last year. And they may end up top 5 this year, but they haven't done anything to earn top 5 thus far this year, whereas other teams have.  Polls suck, but they give us something to talk about.
Colonel, I think you're smart enough to wage last years results against what they have back this year. The loss last year is irrelevant because PSU returned they're core while Michigan lost it. It's not that hard. Don't make something out of nothing. Yes, polls are dumb but generally correct +/- 1 to 2
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Unless they come out and lay an egg against Iowa. I like to see teams rewarded for what they do on the field (like Michigan beating Florida, Maryland beating Texas, or Miss State beating LSU), not because of Heisman hype, recruiting rankings, or awesome attendance figures (I just threw up in my mouth a little). I get why they are ranked top 5, I'd just like to see them earn it ON THE FIELD, before we give them the crown. And no I'm definitely not smart enough.
ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ChrisKentRam »

Colonel Mustard wrote:How are they ranked 4th with the schedule they've played so far? Michigan beat Florida and kicked PSU's blue and white butts last year, and they're lower??? These polls still suck. And so do unwritten rules. If you don't want GSU kicking a field goal, then keep them out of FG range.
If you don't want Penn State to try to block your field goal go for a touchdown.  If GSU wanted to have 3 points they should have made the field goal when they tried it again.  Didn't know the rule book said you can't call a timeout when you possess them.  I guess you complaining about a timeout call must be one of those unwritten rules that suck. 
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Colonel Mustard wrote:Unless they come out and lay an egg against Iowa. I like to see teams rewarded for what they do on the field (like Michigan beating Florida, Maryland beating Texas, or Miss State beating LSU), not because of Heisman hype, recruiting rankings, or awesome attendance figures (I just threw up in my mouth a little).  I get why they are ranked top 5, I'd just like to see them earn it ON THE FIELD, before we give them the crown. And no I'm definitely not smart enough
What's the point in having rankings then? Should nobody be ranked until week 8? They're not there because of Heisman hype, recruiting, or the most attended Pitt game of all time. They're there because of what they did last year and having that group coming back to this year. Should they be punished for games scheduled years prior? If the schedules were made the year before then we would hope they would've had a tough schedule to start, but that's not how it works. Ranking PSU 25th because they haven't played anyone yet is just ridiculous. Pre-season rankings give you a measuring stick, then wins and losses take over from there. If OSU doesn't lose, PSU doesn't move up. Comprende?
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Some teams have games scheduled now for 2028. Some for 2022, 2024, etc. Penn State probably wasn't gong to schedule power houses when they were going through sanctions. Now that they back at the top, I'm sure they wish they had a tougher schedule, but it's not possible any time soon. We sometimes done know who will be good next year, let alone 6-10 years from now, so it can be tricky to schedule a tough schedule on a regular basis. All you can do is go out and play the schedule you have and hope for the best.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Ive always been for 0 rankings until the very end. They create so much bias early and can ruin the end of the year rankings
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Well actually, the real rankings don't come out until some time in October, after teams have played some games. These are media rankings.

And yes it is their fault for the weak schedule. Did they really think Akron and GSU were going to be good tests when they scheduled them? Come on man! Take off the coke-bottle glasses.

And I never complained about the timeout. Some posters were complaining about GSU attempting a field goal, which I found ridiculous.
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 223113 »

say_oww wrote:[s]Iowa[/s]
Michigan
OSU
Maryland
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dadw/2sons »

I hope say oww didn't use a permanent marker when he said mark it down that PSU would lose to the Hawkeyes. It wasn't pretty, but a win is a win no matter the score.