Whos your 4 college football playoff teams?

The name says it all!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Whos your 4 college football playoff teams?

Post by konjo78 »

I mean that was a little different scenario... The BCS only had 2 teams qualify for the national championship game and both Florida and ohio state were undefeated. But if there was a 4 team playoff than yes they should of been in.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

That's why you let 8 teams in the playoffs. Eliminating the conference weight that gets carried with the SEC for example. With 8 teams you cover more of a basis, you make these games more meaningful (more cash, they'll love that). Adding 4 more teams only adds one more round. One more awesome weekend with real meaning. I wouldn't want more than an 8 team playoff because that would be too much. On a side note, the NFL needs to go to the college overtime. 
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

I don't think UCF would have gotten in even if 8 teams were taken. It would have been the 4 that did plus Auburn, Wisconsin, Ohio St. and Penn State. 

Konjo, if UCF loses to Memphis last game of the year are they still a top 4 team to you because they beat Auburn? Shouldn't Memphis be a top 10 team as well because let's face it, their only 2 losses were to UCF who beat Auburn who beat Alabama. Memphis should have been in the discussion more than Penn State and ranked higher than Auburn. This is why your argument is weak, it's not that an American Conf. team can't be good, but we have no measuring stick on them until bowl season. Great season for UCF, but I don't think they would have gone undefeated through any Power 5 schedule. Their final SOS was 54th
Last edited by CCDevil2012 on January 2nd, 2018, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

12HankQB wrote:On a side note, the NFL needs to go to the college overtime. 
Agreed, college is way more exciting and I hate that NFL game could depend on a coin flip if a team scores a TD first.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

CCDevil2012 wrote:I don't think UCF would have gotten in even if 8 teams were taken. It would have been the 4 that did plus Auburn, Wisconsin, Ohio St. and Penn State. 

Konjo, if UCF loses to Memphis last game of the year are they still a top 4 team to you because they beat Auburn? Shouldn't Memphis be a top 10 team as well because let's face it, their only 2 losses were to UCF who beat Auburn who beat Alabama. Memphis should have been in the discussion more than Penn State and ranked higher than Auburn. This is why your argument is weak, it's not that an American Conf. team can't be good, but we have no measuring stick on them until bowl season. Great season for UCF, but I don't think they would have gone undefeated through any Power 5 schedule. Their final SOS was 54th
1. UCF probably wouldnt of because FBS only really cares about 5 "power" conferences because of $$$
2. They would never of played auburn ift they lost to memphis.... But there is no point in saying if a team loses a game they won where would they be. Penn state or wisconsin would of been on the final 4 if Penn state held on to their lead in columbus but that doesnt make a difference end of day.
3. We have no real measuring stick for any conference until bowl season, but why do we put some higher than others always?
4. We dont even know if any team would go through UCFs schedule undefeated either. Its not like Ohio state lost by a ton to a 8-5 iowa team, clemson didnt lose to a 5-7 syracuse or oklahoma losing to 8-5 Iowa state. Heck even top 25 team LSU lost at home to Troy. 
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

So hypothetically Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Clemson, and UCF all go 13-0, and all beat 3 "ranked" opponents. If you're the committee, which 4 do you choose? 

At some point you have to acknowledge both in conference and out of conference schedules and their expected strengths. It is true that we don't know nor ever will if any top 10/power 5 team would have gone undefeated with UCF's schedule. But if the recipe for making the playoffs was simply acquiring the most wins in 13 games, and you as a coach had a choice, would you rather play an SEC schedule or American? What path would you expect to be easier?  C'mon you can't tell me that you would think to yourself "I need 13 wins, and I think the SEC would be much easier than the American". It's not that you're failing to raise valid points, but there seems to lack common sense at the very basis of those points. 

If it was only about money, UCF would definitely be in because everybody likes an underdog story. I know I'd be rooting for them. But I understand why they weren't chosen because it makes sense. 
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Well if all those 5 teams were undefeated yes conference and other factors will come into play. BUT that wasnt the case THIS YEAR. This year we had 3 conference champs with 1 loss and 1 team who didnt even win their DIVISION let alone conference.

Same as last year with ohio state, if you cant even win your division you shouldnt be considered for the college footall playoffs if its limited to 4 teams.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

konjo78 wrote:Well if all those 5 teams were undefeated yes conference and other factors will come into play. BUT that wasnt the case THIS YEAR. This year we had 3 conference champs with 1 loss and 1 team who didnt even win their DIVISION let alone conference.

Same as last year with ohio state, if you cant even win your division you shouldnt be considered for the college footall playoffs if its limited to 4 teams.
So your conference only matters some times? Why would UCF be written off under those circumstances? Oh right, because their conference is weaker......it's not that hard to comprehend. You didn't choose the SEC or American. You can even use this year's scenario. In August which schedule would you opt to play? Hell even last week, who  would you rather play, Alabama and Nick Saben who had weeks to prepare, or UCF.
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

Something is bothering me and I would like to clarify.....Alabama was the Co-CHAMPION of their division of the SEC.  They were tied with Auburn at 7-1.  Auburn represented their division in the championship game based on tiebreaker criteria since they can't play it off.  By the same token, Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan were in a 3-way tie for the Big 10 Eastern division title in 2016.  PSU got in on the Big Ten's tiebreaking criteria since each of the teams beat each other.   Alabama in '17 and Ohio State in '16 shared divisional championships in their conferences.  Neither were "can't win their division" teams.  People are too caught up in the tiebreakers that determine conference championship game teams. 

Just my opinon and felt it needed to be said in interest of fairness.

DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

You have to go clear down to the 54th ranked team in the country, Fresno St. to find a non American conference team with a worse SOS than UCF. But yeah let's reward them. Like someone else mentioned they don't even get in an 8 team playoff this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!