Bell Planning on sitting out games

The name says it all!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Bell Planning on sitting out games

Post by konjo78 »

I think crimson hit in the big difference there.

Also it seems as if steelers teammates really trusted his promise to not miss any games and to come in today. Going back on that promise can cause a fracture between him and his teammates.
EaglealumsGhost
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EaglealumsGhost »

Just read Foster and couple other linemen interviews, he’s not going to be embraced. He needs gone for everyone’s good
Jimjohn81
Senior
Senior

Post by Jimjohn81 »

James Conner should be loving life. He has the opportunity to run behind a line that is pissed. They are ready to prove they have a little something to do with Bell's success.  Hopefully James is ready for the big stage. 
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

Why so much hate?  Who wouldn't do the same thing when faced with such a choice?  The NFL has no regard for their own players, whihc is why these kinds of rules are in place to control players for additional years past their rookie contracts.  
As far as the Steelers' loyalty, why don't you give Heath Miller a call???  After all he did for them, including two Super Bowl rings, he was forced to retire - or get released because they wanted to dump salary.  SMH
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I can definitely see both sides of this argument.  Le'Veon Bell is entering his 6th season and is yet to be able to actually negotiate his own contract.  He entered the league for 4 seasons on his rookie deal that isn't very negotiable and now he is entering his second year on a franchise tag.  The average length of an NFL career is 3 years so most guys never actually get to this point.  At the same time, I'm sure I can find millions of people in this country that would go sign that tag and play for $14,000,000 this year in a heartbeat.   
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

If I made $12 million last year I would have no problem taking a year off
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

There's one side to this argument. He could make another 14 million. He's wants more and he wants guaranteed money. I know I'm not guaranteed my money at work. He's blessed and he doesn't have to play football. He should already be able to quit and live a good life. There's no loyalty in millions of dollar industries. Maybe at a small business, but not in the NFL. You know what you sign up for. He can come join the regular workforce or be a rapper if he wants.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

Really???  Too many people make those kinds of comments over these types of situations - "he can join the regular workforce, he knew what he signed up for"!

Face it, it is a business decision.  A decision he has earned the right to make because he is blessed with talent, but also because he is performed at a level higher than anyone else in the league, and has earned the ability to make that kind of call.  The market allows a demand such as his, and the TEAM knew that as well.  After all, they slapped a tag on him which limited his options and his earning potential.  How would you like it if your boss, said you can only make X number of dollars this year, and if you don't like it you can't go anywhere else.  If you sit out a year then you still have to work for us.  And another thing, telling him to quit complaining is a really tired argument.  If you, me, or anyone else on this board had his attributes, talent, and skill, we'd trade places with him in a second.  But we don't, so any kind of condescension is kind of pointless. In other words, if you could run the ball as good as he does, maybe you'd be on the roster...  but you don't so be quiet! LOL!!!!

On a side note, will someone please explain why sports fans always take the side of the BILLIONAIRES in these types of negotiations???  
EaglealumsGhost
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

A lot of people including myself are disgusted with 1. The way he handled it... but 2. Most importantly, look at what Gurley got and what Bell was offered... total arrogant “FU” to idea that he wants to be here. Running backs in the nfl don’t command the bigger contracts anymore, fact. Young healthy backs don’t get 5 year offers. Bell missed 17 games in 4 years and got 5 yr offer and almost double the garunteed money gurley did. All being 4 years older with injury history... and he said no!!!!
EaglealumsGhost
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Also, Gurley took huge signing bonus... actual cap hit is under 10 mil a year... bell wants his annual salary above 15, not happening anywhere