College football playoff race: Who do you think should get in?

The name says it all!
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: College football playoff race: Who do you think should get in?

Post by abpk2903 »

Once again, you can't conveniently remember that Ohio State needed OT to beat Maryland on the road and conveniently forget that Oklahoma needed overtime to beat Army at home.  You also can't put extra weight on how bad Ohio State lost to Purdue without putting extra weight on how badly they crushed Michigan.  As far as the B1G being overrated, I am not sure what this is based on other than personal bias/opinion.  Some facts about the B1G that do not support that opinion is their 7-1 bowl record last year, they have more OOC wins against CFP top 25 teams than any other conference (while playing less OOC games than any other conference), and their Eastern Division has 4 high quality teams in it. 
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Penn state and michigan state are not high quality teams this year.

Northwestern won their division but in OOC they lost to ND, Duke and Akron. Wisconsin lost to BYU. Penn state needed OT vs app state at home, purdue lost to eastern michigan, maryland lost to temple and more. Its clearly evident the Big 10 is just worst this year, as are a lot of these "Power" 5 conferences.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

If Penn State and Michigan State are not high quality teams this year, what is?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Yea I’ve seen a lot of “So and so aren’t quality teams, no way they should be ranked that high!” But I’ve never seen an alternative.

There’s one great team this year.  A couple of good ones, and a lot that don’t really stand out.  That’s just how the season worked out.  There was some parity this year - it happens. It seems silly to parse teams ranked 8-25 because there’s not a ton of separation.  
ss1082
Freshman
Freshman

Post by ss1082 »

I personally believe that UCF has no business being in the CFP, for that matter I believe that they understand that and are relishing the publicity they are receiving. Heck, go undefeated, claim a National Championship, enjoy your time on ESPN as they discuss your parade and move forward. I think they have a nice program, but there is no way they could compete week in week out in a major conference and post the wins they have, they are what they are and their conference is what it is. 

With that being said, I would love to see them thrown into the playoffs, make them the 4 seed, and match them up with Alabama in the first round. They would get crushed, and that would be the end of this nonsensical argument that people want to make for them. You can talk about schools that have beaten Power 5 teams in bowl games, but to me that's a different animal. Everyone approaches bowl games differently and for a school like UCF playing Auburn, one is enjoying the moment while the other is sulking because they missed out on the playoffs. Just my thoughts. 
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

abpk2903 wrote:Once again, you can't conveniently remember that Ohio State needed OT to beat Maryland on the road and conveniently forget that Oklahoma needed overtime to beat Army at home.  You also can't put extra weight on how bad Ohio State lost to Purdue without putting extra weight on how badly they crushed Michigan.  As far as the B1G being overrated, I am not sure what this is based on other than personal bias/opinion.  Some facts about the B1G that do not support that opinion is their 7-1 bowl record last year, they have more OOC wins against CFP top 25 teams than any other conference (while playing less OOC games than any other conference), and their Eastern Division has 4 high quality teams in it. 
For the record army is 9-2  
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

ss1082 wrote:I personally believe that UCF has no business being in the CFP, for that matter I believe that they understand that and are relishing the publicity they are receiving. Heck, go undefeated, claim a National Championship, enjoy your time on ESPN as they discuss your parade and move forward. I think they have a nice program, but there is no way they could compete week in week out in a major conference and post the wins they have, they are what they are and their conference is what it is. 

With that being said, I would love to see them thrown into the playoffs, make them the 4 seed, and match them up with Alabama in the first round. They would get crushed, and that would be the end of this nonsensical argument that people want to make for them. You can talk about schools that have beaten Power 5 teams in bowl games, but to me that's a different animal. Everyone approaches bowl games differently and for a school like UCF playing Auburn, one is enjoying the moment while the other is sulking because they missed out on the playoffs. Just my thoughts. 
People have this idea power conferences are all in another tier and its just stupid. 8-3 is the record of "minor" confernce teams in bowl games vs power 5 teams. Those type of numbers should destroy some illusion people have each year that they are just going go get blown out. Its probably same % as power 5 vs power 5 in blow out bowl games.... 
Problem is these teams want nothing with a UCF type team because if they lose early to them then they have to be undefeated the rest of the season or theyll be out of playoffs. And to say switch conferences, its not that easy. 
If you want to make playoffs of only 4 teams there is really only 1 thing a team can control and thats not to lose. With how Ohio state played this year in games they easily could of had 1 or 2 losses with AAC. The week they struggled with Maryland, they would of lost to cincy. With how they played vs purdue theyd have a tough time winning against any team with that quality of play.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Wrasslerfan wrote:
abpk2903 wrote:Once again, you can't conveniently remember that Ohio State needed OT to beat Maryland on the road and conveniently forget that Oklahoma needed overtime to beat Army at home.  You also can't put extra weight on how bad Ohio State lost to Purdue without putting extra weight on how badly they crushed Michigan.  As far as the B1G being overrated, I am not sure what this is based on other than personal bias/opinion.  Some facts about the B1G that do not support that opinion is their 7-1 bowl record last year, they have more OOC wins against CFP top 25 teams than any other conference (while playing less OOC games than any other conference), and their Eastern Division has 4 high quality teams in it. 
For the record army is 9-2  
But army is not a power 5 team. So 9-2 really means 3-8 if they had to play in a power 5 conference
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

Very true konjo
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Army's schedule wasn't very good. They did keep it close with Oklahoma. So their one close loss is better than most of their wins.