Re: Steelers discussion

Post by PAMDGrappler »

Won’t disagree with you there.
ERAChamp
Senior
Senior

Steelers discussion

Post by ERAChamp »

New England looks to be the only power in the AFC, while several teams seem dominant in the NFC - SF, New Orleans & Green Bay. If, and its a BIG if, the Steelers can hang around they may be in contention for a WC, which is hard to believe!!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Back to .500, 4-4. Beat a 5-2 colts, who did lose their qb and center, but a wins a win.

Wonder what the anti tomliners are going to complain about this week
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

Wasting timeouts on challenges you weren't going to win, especially the second one. Timeouts that would have been desperately needed had that field goal been made.
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Post by PAMDGrappler »

I’m a Tomlin supporter, but his decision making was not at its best today.  Not reviewing the call on Samuels apparent TD run was a mistake.  I understand it was 2nd and goal from the 1 but the way this team struggles in short yardage, youve gotta challenge there.  The 2 challenges at the end were out of desperation and neither was really winnable.  Not very smart to throw away 2 timeouts.  Say Vinateiri drills the FG.  We’d have had the ball back with 1:10 and no timeouts to get into FG range.  Not impossible, but much more attainable with 2 timeouts.  I thought the Steelers had someone helping Tomlin with reviews?  If they do, that person needs fired lol.  I like Tomlin but challenges are not his strong point.  I think it’s bc he’s an emotional coach and challenges using his heart rather than his head.  He gets caught up in big moments!  Anyways, a win is a win, back to .500!!!
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Ah, yes.  My favorite.  When the armchair coach who sucked down a six pack of Yinglings and still has 1st quarter wing sauce stain on the shirt, think they know all they need to know about challenging a call.  Not sure if this has ever crossed your mind, but you do realize the coach isn't sitting behind a TV screen with "instant replay."   They have about 20 second to make a decision, usually without the benefit of a single replay, and while discussing their upcoming play call with their coordinators. Look at the list of other coaches that have lacked success in challenging plays and it would surprise you.  This list includes coaches like Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll.  It blows my mind that people fail to realize that these coaches don't get the 4 angles, slow motion, and instant access to a "rules analyst" like those of us on our couch do.
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

He asked for a reason. I gave it to him. Didn't say whether I agreed or not.

But I would appreciate you kindly refraining from making accusations about my character. I do not drink nor have I ever. Not something I partake in. Everyone else is free to, just not my thing. But it is nice to know that you think that anyone that disagrees with you must be a drunk.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I’m speaking in generalities of a typical armchair coach at home. Wasn’t meant to be a direct impression of your character.

Maybe I should have used Pepsi and Cheetos stains. Unless you are a diabetic. Maybe life water and guacamole stains.  You catch my drift? 
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

Haha! Yeah. Pepsi and cheetos works. No harm, no foul.
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

abpk2903 wrote:Ah, yes.  My favorite.  When the armchair coach who sucked down a six pack of Yinglings and still has 1st quarter wing sauce stain on the shirt, think they know all they need to know about challenging a call.  Not sure if this has ever crossed your mind, but you do realize the coach isn't sitting behind a TV screen with "instant replay."   They have about 20 second to make a decision, usually without the benefit of a single replay, and while discussing their upcoming play call with their coordinators. Look at the list of other coaches that have lacked success in challenging plays and it would surprise you.  This list includes coaches like Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll.  It blows my mind that people fail to realize that these coaches don't get the 4 angles, slow motion, and instant access to a "rules analyst" like those of us on our couch do.

Just got up out of the recliner.  Urgh.  What a weekend.  Gotta hit the distributor later.  What a mess.  Wish I had some HELP to clean it up. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Mike-Tomlin-will-get-clock-management-replay-assistance-in-19-127961431/

HCs manages a lot of things though.  I could be wrong, but uh - one is player discipline!  He also, hires his own staff.  Handles general game management decisions, like when to go for it, when to run the "trick."  He does not call "plays."  

He can try trip a guy or two on a kick return though if he wants to really get involved.

Very few even call "plays" anymore.  Thats OCs and DCs.  There are a few of those left, like Mike Holmgren in KC.

Steelers Offensive Coordinator - Randy Fichtner
Steelers Defensive Coordinator - Keith Butler
Thanks!