Steelers discussion

The name says it all!
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Steelers discussion

Post by abpk2903 »

If you are naive enough to think the head coach stands there with a headset on the entire game without any input on the defensive or offensive play selection or personnel groupings, then I got some discounted ocean front property in Iowa for you. 

Want to take a guess who has been more successful at challenges over their career, Belichick or Tomlin? Take your time on this one. 

There is a reason why Tomlin is getting paid millions to coach and you have to pay the cable bill just to get to watch. 
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Post by PAMDGrappler »

Relax man.  I said I’m a Tomlin supporter.  I understand that the view on the field is limited and that time is a factor.  But they do have people in the booth who have every angle you see on tv.  CBS can show every angle in less than 20 seconds so the coaches in the booth can do the same.  I said I think Tomlin should’ve challenged the Samuels run just bc of their lack of TD success in the red zone.  I don’t think that’s illogical thinking.  And I’m sorry but challenging interference is fruitless unless it’s blatant and even then it’s a crap shoot.  The numbers prove that.  I stand by my statement that Tomlin challenges using his heart bc he’s an emotional coach.  The same emotion that makes him a great motivator is also partly to blame for his lack of success with challenges.  Just my opinion without personally attacking posters on a message board.  See how that’s done my friend?
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

When it comes to the PI challenges the first was smart IMO. It really was the first time we had a coach challenge from the perspective of the pass not being catch able and honestly I'm not sure how that one would of been. If he won that challenge its 4th and long deep in Colts territory. The 2nd call was more of a desperate position. If you win that one its 2nd and 20 from the colts 40ish yardline where as losing it just puts them in field goal range none the less.

Based on what we saw all 2nd half from the steelers offense maybe tomlin didn't have faith they'd be able to put a 2 minute drill together even if they had 2 timeouts, instead going for the opportunists to put his defense in the best position possible. Defense being the steelers strongest point on the team, and the best we've seen in almost a decade.
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

abpk2903 wrote:If you are naive enough to think the head coach stands there with a headset on the entire game without any input on the defensive or offensive play selection or personnel groupings, then I got some discounted ocean front property in Iowa for you. 

Want to take a guess who has been more successful at challenges over their career, Belichick or Tomlin? Take your time on this one. 

There is a reason why Tomlin is getting paid millions to coach and you have to pay the cable bill just to get to watch. 
=))  You're right man.  

Tomlin is running both the offense and defensive substitutions, groupings, adding "input" to the play calls.  Man, he should be getting paid millions and millions more.  Cause he is doing way more than anyone in the country.

Even high school head coaches delegate, usually the defensive and special teams.  Typical rotations are set way in advance (hence the mad hysteria on injuries and "We only have 10!!! on special teams happen way more often at the HS level).

Does not matter what I say.  You aren't gonna change your mind, or minds.  Bottom line is you know, I don't.  You believe that Tomlin is making every single play call, like he is on Madden.  

JUST DO ME ONE FAVOR - next time there is a timeout and a quarterback comes to the sidelines - LOOK.  You will find your answer who is calling the offensive play.  Tell me if the HC is even in the camera frame.  There is your evidence.  Now, unless he is the Walrus or Payton, or a few others that call their own offense, you will clearly see the QB getting the play call from the coordinator.  Same goes for defense.

Perhaps you should consider cutting the chord, after all, buying all new Redskins gear isn't going to be cheap.
Thanks!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Lets see the tomlin haters come in THIS weekend. 4 straight wins, half of them coming with out the starting rb while already having a back up QB.

What a game by the defense, my how the younger guys drafted recently have matured now. Also anyone questioning the Fitzpatrick trade, well I'm happy giving up a 1st round pick if it means we get that type of production week in and week out. Steelers may actually have a playoff chance this year yet.
PAMDGrappler
Junior
Junior

Post by PAMDGrappler »

The defense has been ridiculous and Minkah may be Troy 2!!!!  
stownJohn
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by stownJohn »

konjo78 wrote:Lets see the tomlin haters come in THIS weekend. 4 straight wins, half of them coming with out the starting rb while already having a back up QB.

What a game by the defense, my how the younger guys drafted recently have matured now. Also anyone questioning the Fitzpatrick trade, well I'm happy giving up a 1st round pick if it means we get that type of production week in and week out. Steelers may actually have a playoff chance this year yet.
I know fans are frustrated with the Steelers offense but the fact is they have very little talent on that side of the ball to work with. I don’t see even one Pro Bowler on the offensive line or at the skill positions right now. Just gonna have to be more creative and try to score 2 tds and a couple of field goals every week in order to keep on winning.
BlueYonder
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BlueYonder »

Here are what the units did in yesterday's game:
Steelers D:  Scored 7, gave up 3
Steelers O:  Scored 10, gave up 9
Rams D:  scored 9, gave up 10,
Rams O:  scored 3, gave up 7.
everett
Junior
Junior

Post by everett »

Taken from Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Tomlin’s explanation is hard not to love.
“We’re just playing to win,” he said. “Sometimes you have to take calculated risks. Sometimes it works out, like in that instance. I am also the guy who called a play-action pass on the minus-6 and got a sack for a safety. You win some, you lose some. When the guys are playing with that amount of energy and urgency, as coaches you have to support them, and how we support them is being aggressive.”

Looks like he is calling more plays that ya'll think. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

There was some really good coaching last night.  It didn’t come from Sean McVay....