Steelers Draft

The name says it all!
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Steelers Draft

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Can’t believe no one has brought this topic up yet. Thoughts? I like the Highsmith pick but why would they pass on Dobbins just to select a 5’8” back in the 4th? Makes no sense
EaglealumsGhost
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Steelers Draft

Post by EaglealumsGhost »

Dobbins went to Ravens in 2nd round after Pittsburgh took Claypool. I didn’t get either Maryland pick other than Tomlins son played with them. I can rationalize the rb on potential but has durability concerns which is why they were drafting a rb in the first place. And the Maryland defense was bad, wouldn’t want anything from it lol. I like Claypool a lot. Highsmith will fit well and really like the guard from Louisiana. Classic overachiever, blue collar big heart guy Steelers fans will gravitate to.Colbert usually hits well first few picks and whiffs on the late round reaches. This year looks to be the same story
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I don’t think Tomlin’s son was the connection, it was probably former Maryland coach and current Steelers QB coach Matt Canada that put in the good word for him.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Anthony McFarland Jr is a great pick. I loved it. In my opinion, a different style back that can immediately add a new offensive dimension.

Dobbins will be a solid pro but he doesn't add a dimension to the offense that isn't somewhat available through Connor and Snell. McFarland Jr, does.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

The Steelers philosophy used to be to draft the best player available. They seem to be reaching for needs more often now. Not sure that is a good idea. You are typically lucky to hit on 2 or 3 guys in each draft. Take the best 2 or 3 players that you can get.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Where was the reach for needs?

-Claypool seemed to have a 1st round grade on nearly every board.
-They certainly didn’t NEED another outside linebacker in Highsmith
-McFarland Jr was heavily recruited by Alabama and is a formidable speed back.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

No one had Claypool as a first rounder. Most had him as a third rounder. He was the 11th WR picked when there were top 5 guys available at several positions.

Are you really going to use the fact that McFarland was recruited by Alabama 4 years ago as a selling point? Come on man! You know there are guys that not only got recruited by Alabama, but that actually played for Alabama that don't get drafted.

Hey, I'm hopeful that a few of these guys work out. Just not overly optimistic.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

abpk2903 wrote: April 28th, 2020, 1:56 pm Anthony McFarland Jr is a great pick. I loved it. In my opinion, a different style back that can immediately add a new offensive dimension.

Dobbins will be a solid pro but he doesn't add a dimension to the offense that isn't somewhat available through Connor and Snell. McFarland Jr, does.
What dimension does a 5’8” running back add that we don’t have now? Dobbins reminded me of somewhere between Miles Sanders and Barkley and would have immediately made the offense better. We didn’t need another “piece” or dimension to the backfield, we needed a clear number 1 back and sent him to our biggest rival. I do like the other picks a lot.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Yeah I can’t think of any 5’ 8” or smaller running backs that made significant impact in the league. I guess Darren Sproles, Maurice-Jones Drew, Warrick Dunn, Marshall Faulk, Dion Lewis, and many more all were wasted roster spots.

And every big time college football program running back who ran behind 5 NFL lineman ends up going on to long successful NFL careers...

Where in the world did you see Claypool as a 3rd round pick? Or are you just making things up?
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I love armchair GMs that sit at home with their big boards thinking they know how to draft. Criticizing the draft every year yet ignore the fact they cheer for a team that hasn’t had a losing season in nearly 2 decades.