2012 Season

PIAA- Track and Field
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: 2012 Season

Post by Manfred »

Concerning yesterdays D6 AA meet. AT MANSION PARK, not somewhere an hour and a half away from their office. See my previous 2 posts, and just change the date. Same results, same lack of love. Pathetic.
It ain't over until it's over.
zonebreaker
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by zonebreaker »

I don't understand why the Altoona Mirror would "give love" to a team that is not in their coverage area. It just doesn't happen. Can you imagine the Tribune-Review talking about how great Westmont is doing? After all, Westmont is just outside of its coverage area so why not give them some love...

You can argue that FH is just outside of the Mirror coverage area but they are outside. The paper does not cover them. So I would expect the same treatment of Forest Hills from the Mirror as I would from the Indiana Gazette and the Progress. I read their articles and they mentioned Forest Hills the same amount: just that they wno.

It is only because the Mirror tries to cover all of d6 basketball above and beyond that the FH girls bball team did get some coverage this past year. But that wasn't to give love to a deserving nearby team; it was to give some info on a top d6 team. The bball section has done the same with S Huntingdon and State College in the past.

The argument that you could try to make is that the paper should start covering the school. If they would all of a sudden be recognized as a school that is covered, then you would have an argument when they weren't given due credit. Anyway, congrats to Forest Hills on 2 straight district titles. Anyone know when the last time a non-Cambria county school won AA girls? Before Forest Hills 2 titles, it was NC for 4, previous to that I think Richland had a run. Has to be a long time.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

You know, this wasn't a dual meet with any 2 teams, or even the past week's LHAC meet in Somerset. THIS WAS A DISTRICT 6 MEET. IN ALTOONA. THAT MEANS EVERY TEAM IN THE ENTIRE DISTRICT, not just in the Mirror coverage area. IF Penns Valley or Marion Center had won the title, they deserved the same recognition. If you compete against the local coverage teams, and dominate them or win by 1 point, you still beat them. By beating them you deserve to have some small recognition of talent. Or in these cases, next to nothing. Thank GOD for the internet; at least displaced former family and alums can follow their favorite teams that way. Maybe the entire newspaper industry will come to realize why they are going the way of the dinosaur in the next 5 years.
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by usatf oldguy »

State track seeds are out! Locals have alot of nice seeds. District 5 boys have 3 top 5 seeds, district 6 has several too! Lumley from richland is the number one seed in the girls triple jump (seeded close to a foot over the state record). Piccarilo is of course a no#1 seed, district 6 has alot of nice seeds on the girls side! Also I wanna congratulate Penn State sophmore Cory Gehret on winning the big ten championship in the 400m at 45.2. It is a shame you don't see him get more press, what a super div 1 athlete!
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by usatf oldguy »

I also forgot to congratualte the Penn State 4x400 team for winning the Big Ten title. Besides Gehret,Nadolsky from altoona was on that team!
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Yeah, those you mentioned do get nice coverage. But wait- thats right, they reside in Blair Co., thats to be expected.
bleacherbum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by bleacherbum »

Manfred wrote:Yeah, those you mentioned do get nice coverage. But wait- thats right, they reside in Blair Co., thats to be expected.

MOVE!!

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2
usatf oldguy
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by usatf oldguy »

Manfred wrote:Yeah, those you mentioned do get nice coverage. But wait- thats right, they reside in Blair Co., thats to be expected.
Manfred those I mentioned Nadolsky and Gehret get some coverage ,but not near what a top Div 1 local athlete would get in another sport such as football,or basketball etc. Heck the Leap boy from Bellwood doesn't get much press either. As a walk on at Penn State he has jumped over 49' and placed in the top ten at the big ten championships. Super accomplishments for all these gentlemen. Unfortunately even a super track paper like the mirror leaves me a little disappointed with track on the next level. You need to have a talk with your local paper the tribune democrat. Tell them to get serious about their track coverage! Do they ever mention the Rocco girl who is throwing javelin at Pitt? That would be their coverage area,and she did have a good year there. How much press has Gallaher gotten at Pitt from the Tribune? Seems to me your beef should be with the tribune,if they did half the job the mirror did they would be outstanding. My only complaint with the mirror and it is a minor one is that they don't give enough exposure to the track athletes in college currently. Of course I am bias, as that would make it easier for highschool coaches to get kids out. One plus though its an olympic year and that will help! Just sit back and enjoy states Manfred it will be a great one this year! Alot of quality out there also alot of locals in the mix!
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

There are a great number of deserving athletes that get little or no love (recognition) from either of these ( I use the word cautiously) newspapers. There are people on this site who WORK for the Trib-Democrap. I don't HAVE to tell them, they know who they are, and what THEY can do to improve this situation. It's up to them. There's an old expression, 'The squeaky wheel gets the grease'. Thats all I'm hoping for. If someone doesn't _itch about something, it is TOTALLY ignored and forgotten. bbum- move this!
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Congrats to all our local? track participants at states. Even those not covered as a routine by EITHER of the 2 local? newspapers. (see my previous posts on this)